Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Seen posted in Atlantic City Courthouse

IMG_0882.jpg

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Guess the person coming to the DR and thinking about the kids works there. Letting their fellow workers and/or clients know they can contribute.

Our coffee clutch meets at a seniors complex (don't live there) but once a year they allow me to put up a poster and I collect used eyeglasses to take to the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the courthouse?

Yes, on the bulletin board. It's large building that also houses State offices, daughter works there as Probation Officer. A Sheriff's Department employee posted it. Lots of Dominicans in the area, enough that the Dominican Consulate has office hours in AC every Thursday.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I can't speak for the entire USA but in my area this time of year several large chain supermarkets have school supplies at discounted prices.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can't speak for the entire USA but in my area this time of year several large chain supermarkets have school supplies at discounted prices.

Yes they do. I learned a long tim ago that school supplies are like gold to Dominican families. And pens!  I've seen grown men get excited over a sandwich bag full of pens. We tend to accumulate them, so every trip down I bring a bunch. 

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Last year I gave a fountain-pen to my six years old niece, nothing special (couple of euro's) or expensive. The college teacher didn't know what it was at first, she had to explain her :).
Now I brought 10 of these, most of the kids wanted one and the teacher as well. Great. Writing with a FP is the best you can have to develop a nice hand-writing and a good grip.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
What is the average cost to get a child enrolled in public school? Including uniform, shoes, books etc. I remember reading some posts about this but can't find them when searching.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What is the average cost to get a child enrolled in public school? Including uniform, shoes, books etc. I remember reading some posts about this but can't find them when searching.

I remember one year Matilda organized a back to school project for a school in Esperanza. I think it was about $40US back then. Hopefully she will see this and chime in 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Chime.

It is around RD$1,000 pesos which is like US$20 for a uniform set. That is 2 shirts, 2 socks, 2 trousers/skirts, one pair basic black shoes, one tracksuit pants, one airtex (is that american? ) shirt for sports and a backpack and pencil case with pencils and sharpener and rubber (eraser in American), plus 6 exercise books.

I don't know the price of the text books, one for each subject, but they only need them when they are at the pruebas nacionales stage which is older kids and many schools provide them free now.

We bought in bulk - like 80 sets, in a local store so we had a discount. Kids cannot go to school without a uniform so this meant 80 kids who were standing outside the windows of the school, looking in longingly, could now go. It was amazing.

Matilda

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Chime.

It is around RD$1,000 pesos which is like US$20 for a uniform set. That is 2 shirts, 2 socks, 2 trousers/skirts, one pair basic black shoes, one tracksuit pants, one airtex (is that american? ) shirt for sports and a backpack and pencil case with pencils and sharpener and rubber (eraser in American), plus 6 exercise books.

I don't know the price of the text books, one for each subject, but they only need them when they are at the pruebas nacionales stage which is older kids and many schools provide them free now.

We bought in bulk - like 80 sets, in a local store so we had a discount. Kids cannot go to school without a uniform so this meant 80 kids who were standing outside the windows of the school, looking in longingly, could now go. It was amazing.

Matilda

I assume that in addition to the clothes what was the price for inscription, and monthly cost or was this public school.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Five or six years ago in Sosua there was a Sosua Kids benefit that closed down the street for an afternoon and sold stuffand had music and other events all day long. So what ever happened to the group Sosua KIds?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is no cost for inscription or monthly and yes public school, which is where most kids go.

The key cost is transport to get to school. Most walk - some for several miles.

Matilda