transporting dogs

mauikai

Jan 15, 2002
Okay, I've got a big problem and I'm hoping someone here has some suggestions. I'll be moving to POP shortly and am bringing with me my 2 large dogs. American Airlines won't transport animals as big as mine (100+ lbs) or any crate larger than a 500 series (mine are 700 series) on any of their flights. I've called Lynx Air, and they've suspended all flights to the DR. I have to get them there before May, when it will get too hot for transport and am out of ideas. Is there any other carriers that I might be able to try? I'll be coming from the US - could either come from Florida or New York. HELP!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Check with US Airways, Continental. Would it be possible your dogs fit in a smaller crate if you drugged them for the flight? Another option would be to fly them to San Juan, Puerto Rico and then bring them by the Ferry. Another option could be UPS or Federal Express that run cargo operations.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a missionary outfit called AGAPE that flies here out of Sarasota, FL...Give them a call....

HB

Jimmy Stewart

Jan 12, 2002
This is Jan not Jimmy...
I brought my dog to Sto. Dgo. but she didn't weigh that much. Shes 75 lbs. But when I got her her crate was broken..the wheels were missing ..the door was broke off and strapped on. I don't know if she was lost on the plane or what but she seemed ok and wasnt tramatised so I gusee she had a decent flight. But people have told me about taking a boat also then you can be with your dogs...But I'm not an expert on this and can just tell you my experiences...and by the way..she stunk real bad too...and she had just had a bath so who knows what happened in that flight

CL Marie

Mar 14, 2002
Dog transport

I am also shipping a 100+ lb. dog. Unfortunately, i am living in an apartment that doesn't allow dogs in Santo Domingo. Now have to wait until we find a new place, which is another story all together!
Anyway, there is a company in New York that specializes in pet transport. call Jean at 1-888-mypets1. If nothing else, she'll give you good info.
American Airlines told me that they do ship big dogs. did you call AirCargo @ 800-227-4622?
Would you please post an update? I'd like to know how things went for you. I am especially interested in the ferry transport, as i may end up bringing my dog in the summer, when she can't fly. Thanks!

Last edited: