Are land prices ridiculous high?

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
I'm browsing the Perdomo sight for lots and it seems to be crazy. Or is it just me?

El Limon: 527 m²/ 0.13 acre, 2Km from beach $32K. "The site can be comfortably accessed by 4m road". $61 per sq meter

Las Terrenas: 2,503 m² / 0.61 acre, 3.5 km from beach $60K. " Flat piece of land, with many almond and coconut trees as well as bananas." $24 per sq meter.

The price per square meter seems to be all over the board. No rhyme or reason to all this.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome to DR, the land that common sense forgot. You're right, all over the place. Especially if they know you're interested in the land.

A Dominican-American bought empty land just down the road from us, began fencing it in, and will eventually build a home there. Our properties meet at the rear, because ours is "L" shaped, and our back area runs behind many houses that front on the road. A Dominican friend of his from NY came to visit, loved the area, and noticed that next door to him was another empty lot, maybe 6 tareas. Asked the owner for a price - 8 million pesos!

Best idea is to drive around the areas you like, look for signs, they are EVERYWHERE. Get a Dominican to call and ask the price.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I am sorry but where can you buy land free for any purpose construction or whatever for 24$ a m2?
It's a steal.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm browsing the Perdomo sight for lots and it seems to be crazy. Or is it just me?

El Limon: 527 m²/ 0.13 acre, 2Km from beach $32K. "The site can be comfortably accessed by 4m road". $61 per sq meter

Las Terrenas: 2,503 m² / 0.61 acre, 3.5 km from beach $60K. " Flat piece of land, with many almond and coconut trees as well as bananas." $24 per sq meter.

The price per square meter seems to be all over the board. No rhyme or reason to all this.
A flat .61 acres in Las Terrenas for US$60k is not a bad deal, depending on location...

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I am sorry but where can you buy land free for any purpose construction or whatever for 24$ a m2?
It's a steal.

I agree with you. Even the 8 million pesos it's a steal for 6 hectares which is more than ten acres. if it's anywhere close to a beach or in a tourist area.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with you. Even the 8 million pesos it's a steal for 6 hectares which is more than ten acres. if it's anywhere close to a beach or in a tourist area.

Read my post again. Tareas, not hectares. Little over one acre.  Not a tourist in sight, but there is a beach down the road. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pretty difficult to compare land values from country to country....quite a useless exercise.

Apples, oranges and grapefruit.....

From my experience , land with an ocean view for $24/ M is a decent price.
We pay more in Cabrera 

web

Nov 5, 2005
One important thing to remember is:
- The prices you see are the asking price and that is why the prices are all over the place
- Everything in the DR is negotiable
- Many times you can cut the price by 50% and make the deal
- Make an offer
- Research the title is the most important thing to protect your investment
- Use 2 lawyers from different cities and different firms (one to check the other)
- Also using a reputable firm like Perdomo is good but you pay market price

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

People can list the price of a property but the market will determine what the property is acutally worth. Additionally just like everything else this price is negotiable. I would not get too caught up in what the list price.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pretty difficult to compare land values from country to country....quite a useless exercise.

Apples, oranges and grapefruit.....

From my experience , land with an ocean view for $24/ M is a decent price.
We pay more in Cabrera 
Building lots in our neighborhood in Jarabacoa go for around $US80-100 m2.

That land in LT does seem to be an excellent price.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WOW!!!

We have Clifftop land... with a 1/4 mile or less unobstructed ocean view......
you know my house....
full time breeze for less...,.

But Jarabacoa has lots to offer.... Cabrera, not so much - yet !!!?

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Very insightful, thanks for the replies.

I agree. Pay a local to be your agent and negotiate.

It's funny ironic. In DR, a gringo comes to look at land and the owner thinks, damn, I'll double my price. In US, a Dominican comes to look at land and owner says, damn, I'll have to cut my price in half so this guy can afford it.

Stigma

rosabblanco

Jul 8, 2010
 I know of someone  in my neighborhood selling for US$17 the square meter in a great location in santiago. Pm me if you want more info

SteveK

Jan 23, 2011
We're looking to purchase land in the Punal area (10 minutes from the Cibao Airport). What is a tarea?...hectarea?..any thoughts on the market price?

Appreciate any advice/comments:classic::classic:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Building lots in our neighborhood in Jarabacoa go for around $US80-100 m2.

That land in LT does seem to be an excellent price.

That is correct. The cheapest with town proper start at about 4800 pesos per sq meter and go up from there. We have our eyes on one listed at 5500 per square meter. (115 US )

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We're looking to purchase land in the Punal area (10 minutes from the Cibao Airport). What is a tarea?...hectarea?..any thoughts on the market price?

Appreciate any advice/comments:classic::classic:

Tarea is around 628 sq meters. a hectarea is 10,000 sq meters which is 2.47 acres. 6.4 tareas to an acre.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
WOW!!!

We have Clifftop land... with a 1/4 mile or less unobstructed ocean view......
you know my house....
full time breeze for less...,.

But Jarabacoa has lots to offer.... Cabrera, not so much - yet !!!?

Maybe Moby will buy it?