new checks on flights to USA start today

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://hoy.com.do/15b4/

new checks on the flights from DR to USA start today. this regards computers, laptops, mobile phones and other electronics. the passengers are asked to arrive earlier so that they do not miss their flight. random one or two people out of ten will go through this additional check.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I thought i read somewhere that all electronic items beyond your phone have to be in checked luggage which is impossible as many of us fly with carry on only.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I will be heading out in a month from POP and would like to hear from anyone who has gone thru the process.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought i read somewhere that all electronic items beyond your phone have to be in checked luggage which is impossible as many of us fly with carry on only.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-banned-on-us-bound-flights-from-8-countries/

Passengers travelling to the US on flights from eight different countries will be banned from carrying laptops, iPads, cameras and most other electronics in their carry-on luggage. The reason for the ban is not immediately clear.

The US flight ban affects the following airports:

Cairo (Egypt)
Istanbul (Turkey)
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
Kuwait (Kuwait)
Doha (Qatar)
Casablanca (Morocco)
Amman (Jordan)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)

Keep posted for updates. These things seem to be liquid.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Laptops from the DR do not need to be checked yet and hopefully never will. If however, this does come to pass, those who travel with only a carry-on will have two choices: Don't travel with their laptop/tablet or check at least one suitcase containing these items.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
There is a thread about this on "Flyer Talk". They say there that all carry on electronics are now subject to additional "screening".  I'm flying out of POP later this week and will report back.
I did receive an email yesterday from my airline notifying me of "additional security measures in place" and advising me to be at the airport 3 hours before flight time.

I remember that I flew out of POP shortly after the "underwear bomber" incident. They then also instituted "additional security measures". The POP security checkpoints were a complete cluster-Fk!  People in line were pushing and shouting at each other. The A/P authorities seemed to make no effort to maintain control and order.

I hope it will be better organized this go round, but I planning to definitely being there at least 3 hours ahead.  Best case scenario, I have time to finish the book I'm reading while sitting peacefully at the gate.  

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I hope it will be better organized this go round, but I planning to definitely being there at least 3 hours ahead.  Best case scenario, I have time to finish the book I'm reading while sitting peacefully at the gate.  

i think this is the best approach. raging about it will not alter the reality nor will it speed the line. arrive early and stay chillaxed. at worst you'll have more time to waste at the airport which is better than missing a flight.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

.......and at the same time the airlines will tell you NOT to put valuables in checked luggage.....

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The "fun" of flying commercial is completely gone, just misery now :-(

I think it is still fine, just extra measures for safety, I am all for it :)

To be honest, I am more bothered by the liquid ban in carry-on. Just can't feet hair products, perfume and creams in their tiny container if it more than a 3 day stay.

May 5, 2007
I think it is still fine, just extra measures for safety, I am all for it :)

To be honest, I am more bothered by the liquid ban in carry-on. Just can't feet hair products, perfume and creams in their tiny container if it more than a 3 day stay.

It's not just the laptops, it's the entire "TSA" thing They have yet to show any significant result from screening and you have to admit since 9/11 flying has become tedious Yes, I know there have been zero terrorist attacks involving planes post 9 11 but how many were there pre 9 11? I think beefed up intelligence has helped tremendously, sloppy TSA practices not so much

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My son flew out of Santo Domingo today. Says the lines were fairly long but all they did was look at his laptop and phone. He said that is all they did. He did say he noticed some people being pulled for something that sounded like maybe it was a secondary screening but that is all he noticed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The "fun" of flying commercial is completely gone, just misery now :-(

i am told by the previous generations that air travel was grand back in the day :)

the first time i ever traveled by a plane i was already 25 or so. i think it was in a year 2000? first time was kinda cute but then i found that my car sickness extended to airplanes and it was a misery ever since. rules and regulations make it a bit more annoying but i'd take full body check on every flight - cavity search included - if only i did not get so horribly sick on both ends of my digestive system. :cry:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Aw the old days where they served meals in Coach flights from Chicago to Tampa and even shorter flights, none of this maybe if they have the time free peanuts or pretzels. Piedmont was the best as they even provided a small carafe of wine with the meal. Once bought a round trip ticket from Tampa to New Orleans to help my daughter and her husband move to Winterhaven. I flew out she used the back half to fly New Orleans to Tampa. Oh and the stewardess were all female, did not look like they had been beat with and ugly stick.
Oh and no TSA, to not find anything but time delays,

DV8 there is a reason its no longer called coach but cattle class Oh and you did not have to pay for 1st checked bag either,

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
After reading the CBP notice, after this trip back to the US, I plan on leaving 1 laptop and my extra cell phone in DR for work purposes and not traveling with with my laptop or smartphone anymore. This crap is getting too crazy.