Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So let's kick off with the menopause -only ladies post

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So let's kick off with the menopause -only ladies post

This seems to be a hot topic in other forums atm. This was posted on the thread suggesting this forum.

"Don't read all the forums Matilda, it's that simple. I guess you have gone through menopause or have not started yet."

This is the second time the M word has been mentioned (not Matilda) in the last week or so - can't remember if the same person.

In the DR, especially here in the campo, women have no idea what it is, when it happens, why it happens, and in fact several in their late 50s have come to me thinking they have cancer when their periods stop. Others do have cancer and think it is this mysterious menopause.

Anyone have any experience of how Dominican ladies deal with this, or if they know about it. Do they take HRT here or use natural remedies, or just put up with it?

Remember ladies only to reply, post.

Matilda

2. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember my MIL at that time. Emotional rollercoaster to say the least. I knew she was going through menopause but it was never talked about. I can only remember one comment made. It was when the grandkids were asking what was wrong with abuela, why was she crying one minute, screaming the next. My SIL who is a doctor replied, she is changing. That was all that was ever said. She did however start drinking tea, she said it makes her feel better when I asked her about her new found love for tea. My SIL who is a OBGYN has told me that many women come to her not understanding what is happening. They think they have some dreadful disease. Even when she explains it to them they still have doubts. I know she has been to seminars on menopause but I do not think women are as open in the DR talking about it than they are say in the US.

4. Likes Matilda liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard any Dominican woman discuss it at all. I do know that the women in my campo have a tea for every ailment. They are very precise too...has to be exactly 7 tiny hot peppers mixed with exactly 3 of a certain leaf, etc.   

When Mr AE had dengue, the maid insisted he drink guava blended with red bell peppers.

There HAS to be something for menopause. Hot flashes in 90F heat can't be ignored  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

6. Likes Matilda, Meemselle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the lack of knowledge about health care and their own bodies is amazing. And goodness knows how they cope with hot flushes (flashes in US) here with the heat.

Mat

8. Likes keepcoming, snowqueen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And I was told today by stepson the way to get rid of amoeba was to eat garlic crushed with water.

Matilda

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

As with many things in the DR education will be the key for women to know what is real and what is an old wives tale. I have never heard a Dominicana discuss menopause either. I suspect that when a women is going through it people/family members and friends think it is a mental problem.
    Heck, when I went through it I went to the doctor because I literally thought I was going crazy. I was ready for the loony bin. I did not have a clue that my mental state was caused by menopause.
    Mine was quick and drastic because it was the result of a radical hysterectomy. At that time women in the US were not educated about menopause either. I learned quick. The hard way.
    Imagine the poor Dominican women not knowing what is going on with their body and mind caused by hormonal changes? 

11. Likes keepcoming, Matilda, Meemselle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So true about the lack of health education in the DR. The lack of education turns into fear which probably prevents many women seeking out care/advice about menopause. From the hot flashes to heart palpitations without the proper education it is no surprise many think they are dying as opposed to just through the "change".

Post Thanks / Like

i had IVF several times between 35 and 40 and it never entered my head having 10-20 eggs taken out every time would mean I would run out of eggs early. At 44 my periods were every 2 weeks,lasting a week each time, which is an issue when you are a diving instructor and in the water all day long - Hello Shark!! I was put on progesterone which sorted it, I think 10 mg and have slowly over the last 20 years cut down to half a mg but if I stop taking it, back come those hot flushes like every 30 mins!! Wierd - so I keep taking the pills.

Matilda

Post Thanks / Like

Warning - may be TMI

My SILs have only mentioned it in passing. I'm sure they have at least basic knowledge of what it's all about, especially the one who is married to a gynaecologist, but we haven't had any in-depth discussions. It's not because they are coy about such things, either. They were very frank about their periods - for some reason they always felt the need to let all and sundry know that they and their daughters were menstruating. I'm not sure that as a teenager I would have appreciated my mother informing a roomful of aunts, uncles, cousins and random friends of the family that I was having my period!

For the last couple of months I'm having what I think may be hot flushes (hot "flashes" always makes me think of something completely different) but although they are unpleasant they are not that noticeable in the heat. I know more or less what to look out for because I went through 2-3 months of induced menopause at the age of 38 pre-surgery to remove uterine fibroids but the hot flushes I had at that time were much more obvious.

I did ask my gynaecologist about supplements but she reacted as if she'd never heard of such things. I'd been recommended supplements like black cohosh and wondered if that might be helpful. I've never heard of any Dominican natural remedies to ease the symptoms either.

15. Likes Matilda, keepcoming liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be lucky. Like dulce I had an early total/complete hysterectomy, about 22 years ago. Never took a pill, never had a flash or any other symptom.

My Dominican sister-in-law mentioned she's getting flashes, I think she thought I'd have suggestions, but alas.......

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast