Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So let's kick off with the menopause -only ladies post

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Chiri you would know re hot flushes. They often happen at night and they are so bad the whole bed is soaking in minutes. You have to lie on top of the covers till you dry off. If you can be bothered you change the sheets but this can happen 20 times a night. They are often accompanied by nausea and dizziness in the day, so deep breathing till they pass.
    And yes is odd they tell everyone about periods. Neighbour came to me wanting tomatoes and I told her to go and pick as many as she needed and she told me she couldn't as had her period and if she touched the plant it would die!

Matilda

2. Likes Meemselle, keepcoming liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not nearly as bad, but milder versions of what you describe, so yes - it could just be the heat. But they do come and go very suddenly. I do have more dizziness than usual (although not nausea) but as you know I've had some other unrelated health issues this year so it may be due to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Well despite what the men are saying me personally I don't get nasty, but Dominican men must think that as when I ask my Dominican husband to buy me menopause pills he says yes of course or you will throw things at me lol.

Mat

5. Likes AnnaC, Meemselle, keepcoming, dulce liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha...my spouse will always say "do you need a pill, you know sometimes women need them". No I don't need a pill, I just need you to stop what your doing that aggravates me...lol. I do not remember seeing my MIL having hot flashes but I do remember her having to go lay down a lot. I was looking online awhile back and seeing all the possible effects of menopause. OMG are there a lot but luckily not all women suffer the same symptoms. Leaves me to wonder how many physicians in the DR are really familiar with treatments for menopausal women. I am sure there has to be some out there.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no input that is DR-related, but I hope that this forum is a little bit more forgiving that what the boys dish out. Which is why I no longer post anything at all on DR-1.

Purely personal: my menopause was pretty insignificant. I think I had 3 hot flashes. The boobs, however, dropped overnight. Literally. I looked at myself in the mirror one night when I was 55 and I thought, "OK. The girls look good. We are holding it together." I woke up the next morning--I am not lying--and everything from my face to my knees had fallen to my ankles.

My sisters, all younger than me, suffered horribly with headaches and hot flashes for years and years. I have one sister who insists that when I die, she will write on my tombstone, "...and she lied about menopause."

It is an intriguing cultural disconnect to think about Dominican women and "the change." I have several very close Dominicana friends, my age or a bit younger, and I know it's happened or is happening, but it is totally off-limits. And we talk about everything else.

Is it because of macho culture? Or because my friends are way more traditional than I am? Or is it because, mentioned in an earlier post, that women in this country are just not given great information about their bodies, what's going on, self-esteem as women?

I love this forum.

8. Likes dulce, Matilda, keepcoming liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Off topic a bit but I really think we need emoji buttons for this forum. It's not enough to simply like the posts.  

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Insomnia was my special menopause curse but that and no other symptoms thanks to a 1/3 dose of estrogel with prometrium to protect the uterus lining.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Dominicanas don't talk about it because they think it signifies they're old?   

Retiree, I always thought you were a guy!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

12. Likes dulce, Africaida, retiree, keepcoming liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, let's talk about insomnia, or in my case - early waking. Mod - separate thread or OK here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Oh yes, let's talk about insomnia, or in my case - early waking. Mod - separate thread or OK here?
    Maybe separate thread as am sure loads of people suffer from it, and it would great to hear what works for people.

Mod Matilda (lol)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast