Larger sized clothing in DR- only ladies to post

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I am not a huge woman but I find that most of the clothing on offer here in the DR is for tiny women. Any suggestions on where to shop (on the North Coast) to find reasonably priced clothing in size 14-16 or 1X? Preferably cotton? I found one shop in Cabarete (Maynard's) but it's a little pricey for everyday wear. Other ideas?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A friend of mine of mine in Santo Domingo gave up trying to find plus size clothing.  She used to shop in NY on trips home, then stopped flying for many years once her parents passed. She bought cotton fabrics and hired a Dominican seamstress to copy some of her favorite clothes.  The only thing she ordered online was underwear 

Just maybe something to consider. 

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thanks! I have some favorites so I might just have to do that. I've tried ordering online but it's hit and miss and I feel silly for buying something and then having to give it away. (Although I'm sure the recipient appreciates the gift...)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If I were a plus size or just plain fat, I wouldn't be shopping at stores around
the beach as they tend to sell the type of clothes made for women with much
nicer and more preferrable bodies.

Take a city like Santiago, there are a ton of plus size gorrilla's roaming the streets
around the center of town. No doubt there are plenty of shops here that will meet
all of your needs be them BIG or small. My suggestion is to get out, grab a cheese
burger and do some walking around town to find what you are looking for as opposed
to asking others to do it for you :cheeky:

MODERATOR NOTE: INFRACTION GIVEN

Last edited by a moderator:

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thank you, CristoRey...Big help. You're obviously undergoing a sex change or you are just a man posing as a woman?? Surely, no woman would write such a thing, but who knows, maybe you are a woman who just acts like a man! :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If I were a plus size or just plain fat, I wouldn't be shopping at stores around
the beach as they tend to sell the type of clothes made for women with much
nicer and more preferrable bodies.

Take a city like Santiago, there are a ton of plus size gorrilla's roaming the streets
around the center of town. No doubt there are plenty of shops here that will meet
all of your needs be them BIG or small. My suggestion is to get out, grab a cheese
burger and do some walking around town to find what you are looking for as opposed
to asking others to do it for you :cheeky:

WTF ?

Why do you have so condescending Mr Perfect ?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Thank you, CristoRey...Big help. You're obviously undergoing a sex change or you are just a man posing as a woman?? Surely, no woman would write such a thing, but who knows, maybe you are a woman who just acts like a man! :)

Oops... struck nerve. LMAO!

MODERATOR NOTE: ANOTHER INFRACTION GIVEN

Last edited by a moderator:

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Let's not give the Rey any more attention. He obviously did not get the memo. Either that or he thought he was on the monger's message board. :confused:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I wear a size 12. I like looser/longer fitting tops so I feel your pain. Most of the clothing here I do not really like. Never really fits right. Previously I brought back a cotton t-shirt like material and had some tops made. I have been to Blue Mall, Galleria 360, Mega Centro, etc.... never really find anything. However I have bought men's t-shirts and dressed them up with scarves, jewelry, etc...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I buy everything when I travel to Europe - I'm taller than average (over 5'7") but not a plus size (10 US/14 UK) and it's rare to find anything I like.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Beliza Boutique in Plaza Catalunya on Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart in Santo Domingo has an entire separate department dedicated to plus sizes for women. The store is Beliza Plus.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Please note this forum is for ladies only. Men are welcome to read (and become better informed) but NOT to post. All posts made by men will be deleted and if inappropriate in any way, infractions will be given.

Matilda

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am not a huge woman but I find that most of the clothing on offer here in the DR is for tiny women. Any suggestions on where to shop (on the North Coast) to find reasonably priced clothing in size 14-16 or 1X? Preferably cotton? I found one shop in Cabarete (Maynard's) but it's a little pricey for everyday wear. Other ideas?

The thing is: Dominicanas don't give a rat's a** about size. If they like it, they buy it. You will see a size 4 all over a size 14 body.

However,as a women of un age certain, and with the laws of Jewish modesty, and mine own rapidly-disintegrating sense of chic: you can't buy clothes here. OK, OK, OK, maybe one haunts MunDos; or the local pulga.

I buy clothing once a year, when I do the Bataan March through Boston/NY.