CNM chooses new Supreme Court and Electoral Court judges
New Intrant transport organization plans
José Ramón Peralta encourages exporters to look to the Caribbean
Dajabon market gets even bigger
Edi Medina bets on the success of the National Sports Games
Hiddekel Morrison: 4.5G is not available in the DR
Former judge opposes extending legalization plan
Lajun pressures to get paid more
Shootings in Salcedo evidence drug gangs’ control
Tourism expert Aquino to address Academy of Science
Ready, Set, Expo! Expo Cibao 2017
DR wins three gold medals in pentathlon championships




CNM chooses new Supreme Court and Electoral Court judges
The National Council of the Magistracy (CNM) announced the new members of the Supreme Court of Justice and the members of the Superior Electoral Court (TSE) on the evening of Wednesday, 19 July 2017. The CNM met on Wednesday and completed the deliberations after interviewing 83 candidates.

The four new judges of the Supreme Court of Justice are: Manuel Alexis Read Ortiz, a land court judge; Pilar Jiménez, also a land court judge; Blas Fernández, president of the Third Appeals Hall of the National District; and Moisés Ferrer, adjunct attorney general.

Ramón Herrera Carbuccia was chosen as substitute of Supreme Court of Justice president, Mariano Germán. The CNM representatives for the opposition party, PRM, had backed judge Miriam Germán being promoted to the position, as she is the second replacement.

Román Jáquez was chosen to be the presiding judge of the Superior Electoral Court (TSE). At the time of his appointment, He is also the dean of the Law School of the Universidad Católica de Santo Domingo.

Others are Santiago Sosa, Ramón Madera Arias, Rafaelina Peralta and Cristian Perdomo. Sosa has presided the National District Central Electoral Board (JCE) since 2011. Ramón Madera at the time of his appointment is adjunct attorney general. Rafaelina Peralta is a past judge of the Central Electoral Board (JCE).
Cristian Perdomo at the time of her appointment is serving as secretary of the JCE board in Santo Domingo East.

Their replacements are Marcos Cruz García (Román Jáquez), Fernan Ramos Peralta (Santiago Sosa), Jorge Eligio Méndez (Ramón Madera), Rhina Alessandra Díaz (Rafaelina Peralta) and Rosa Fior D’Aliza Pérez (Cristian Perdomo).

The leading opposition party, PRM had opposed that the TSE judges be re-elected. Opposition members of the CNM, José Paliza and Josefa Castillo said that most of the judges chosen are members of the ruling PLD and that they did not vote in favor of the selection of judges. They did not attend the press conference to announce the new judges.

Nevertheless, an editorial in El Día speculates there were agreements among the politicians. It says that a brother in law of a PRM party vice president was appointed, as well as one of the persons that had the preference of the PRSC. Moreso, the editorial says that to preside the TSE, the CNM chose a person affiliated to the Catholic Church schools – from previously being affiliated to the PUCMM, now a person related to the UCSD will be in charge.

When making the announcement of the chosen judges, CNM spokesman, Supreme Court judge Frank Soto said the judges would be sworn in on schedule on Friday, 21 July 2017.

DR1 had erroneously reported yesterday that the selection would be postponed for next week.

https://presidencia.gob.do/noticias/...e-altas-cortes
https://elnuevodiario.com.do/miembro...ueces-electos/
http://eldia.com.do/y-se-entendieron/


New Intrant transport organization plans
The new director of the Transport Institute (Intrant) Franchesca de los Santos says the goal of the organization is to enhance the safety of Dominican roads and reduce traffic accidents operating under Law 63-17. She spoke after a first meeting of the board of the Intrant that integrates the government transport-related entities.

She explained that Intrant is working together with the Ministry of the Presidency on the Mobility and Transport Plan that will complement the Road Safety Strategic Plan. She said as part of the start of the new transport restructuring, they will be signing agreements with universities, international and national organizations, foundations and others. She says the Intrant needs the collaboration of the general public to be able to implement the new plans.

She explained that Intrant is responsible for guaranteeing mobility, making more efficient ground passenger and cargo transport and improving road safety.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...sa-institucion
http://hoy.com.do/14b3-intrant-inici...eguridad-vial/


José Ramón Peralta encourages exporters to look to the Caribbean
Administrative Minister of the Presidency José Ramón Peralta admitted to participants in a recent Dominican Association of Exporters (AdoExpo) activity that farm exports are sluggish and could be more. He was the keynote speaker at the AdoExpo luncheon. He spoke on “The Dominican Economy: Present Situation and Opportunities for the Export Sector.”

Peralta admitted most of the growth in the exporter sector has been in the big mining and free zone export sectors. He called for businessmen to become more involved saying Dominicans have a comparative advantage. Peralta said the country could place more pineapples, avocados, mangos, bananas, coconuts and dragon fruit (pitahaya) fruits abroad. He also spoke of increased opportunities for tomatoes and bell peppers, produced in controlled environments. He also spoke of opportunities for meat exports.

“The statistics show we are on the right track,” said Peralta. He said farm exports were up 10% to US$830.9 million in 2016.

Furthermore, he encouraged local producers to look into opportunities for exporting to the Caribbean, rather than only to the US or Europe. He said the Caricom markets import US$30 billion a year from the rest of the world. He said that despite a free trade agreement, the DR is only exporting to Caricom countries US$180 million a year, or 0.6% of what the Caribbean purchases from the rest of the world. Peralta said that Panama, that does not have a free trade agreement, is selling to the Caribbean US$600 million a year, or four times more than the DR.

Peralta said that President Medina authorized him to hold meetings with CEI-RD, Adoexpo, the National Business Council (Conep), the Dominican Agribusiness Board (JAD) and the Dominican Republic Association of Industries (AIRD) to find transport alternatives and see how the government can facilitate trade.

Peralta also encouraged local companies to export to develop linkages with the free zone exporting industries. He said today these companies import 75% of their materials and supplies.

Peralta said the exporter sector is a priority of President Danilo Medina and renewed efforts of the Center for Export & Investment (CEI-RD) as the specialized government agency for information, marketing and support to Dominican exporters.

During the event, the president of Adoexpo, Álvaro Sousa Sevilla, called for the need to create an exporters’ culture among local businessmen. This would be based on exporting quality goods and services to the world, meeting international standards and committing to making “Made in Dominican Republic” a matter of national pride.

Sousa highlighted the importance of a public-private alliance to promote exports, attract foreign investment to export manufacturers in the country.

Read Peralta’s speech:
https://adoexpo.org/es/noticias/disc...a-adoexpo.html


Dajabon market gets even bigger
The Minister of Economy Isidoro Santana and Antonio Vargas, the director general of Multilateral Cooperation, inspected the remodeling, expansion and cleanup of the Dajabon bi-national market on the border with Haiti. The expansion is scheduled to be inaugurated this summer by President Danilo Medina.

Vargas said the European Union contributed €5 million to the project, and the Dominican government RD$37 million. The binational market is said to move around US$1 billion a year. Another US$2 billion are transacted informally. According to a 2010 survey, the market is visited by more than 200,000 persons each year, of which an estimated 52% are Dominicans and 48% are Haitians.

During the visit, Santana and Vargas were accompanied by Dajabon’s mayor, Miguel Cruz Jimenez, and several city council members, according to a press release by the Ministry of Economy.

Santana said that the additional investment in the bi-national market is just one more piece of evidence of the interest of the Dominican government in consolidating relations with the Haitian people.

“A major effort has been carried out to organize bilateral trade with improvements in the market stands and rehabilitating damaged structures,” he explained. He said the Dominican government is also interested in restoring the Masacre River watershed.

http://www.7dias.com.do/economia/201...o-dajabon.html


Edi Medina bets on the success of the National Sports Games
The president of the organizing committee of the 14th National Sports Games Edi Medina said these will be the least costly sports games to ever be held in the country. He said that to reduce the need to build sports installations, the competitions will be held in the province of Hermanas Mirabal (Salcedo) but also in the venues located in Duarte (San Francisco de Macoris) and Espaillat (Moca).

The games are scheduled to take place in March 2018. For the games, the country has been divided into eight sports zones for the organization of the athletic competitions. Some 3,700 athletes will be participating in 33 different sports. Medina expressed his confidence in the success of the games and said that preparation is going at full speed and at an impressive pace.

http://elnacional.com.do/edi-medina-...de-los-juegos/


Hiddekel Morrison: 4.5G is not available in the DR
Hiddekel Morrison says Claro’s 4.5G recent announcement is fake advertising. Local technology expert Hiddekel Morrison disputed the new Claro telecom promotion that they are offering 4.5G technology to their mobile customers. Morrison said that the Claro service reaches a maximum of 390 megabits per second, much slower than the 1,000 Mb per second of 4.5G service. In an interview with El Día, Morrison said that Claro just has 4G service.

In the past, Orange announced they would be offering 4G service and had to retract themselves at the time.

http://eldia.com.do/morrison-asegura...iene-red-4-5g/


Former judge opposes extending legalization plan
Former judge Juan Miguel Castillo told reporters that if the government extends the permits issued to foreigners, mostly Haitians, seeking to regularize their status this would be in violation of the Constitution. Castillo said that the law that created the National Foreigner Legalization Plan (PNRE), Law 169-14, and Decree 327-14 gave a time frame for required documents to be submitted. This time expired more than two years ago and another extension would be in violation of the law.

Castillo speculates that thousands of ID cards have been forged and now the Migration Agency (DGM) does not know who has the legal ID cards.

The comments were made by Castillo given that the most recent extension granted by the Medina administration to those issued the temporary residence permits has expired. The temporary permits are not contemplated in Dominican migration legislation.

The Dominican Republic is under international pressure to extend the program. Nevertheless, the main obstacle to the implementation of the legalization of the Haitians has been that the government of Haiti has not been issuing the necessary identity documents (birth certificates or passports) for its citizens. Most people that live in Haiti are undocumented.

An editorial in El Día reveals that of 250,241 foreigners that requested to legalize their status under the National Foreigner Legalization Plan (PNRE) in 2014-2015, only 7,834 were able to complete the process. The editorial makes the point that no country anywhere in the world can grant migratory status to a person that does not have identity documents from the country of origin. And that is why it is essential that Haiti meet their responsibility.

The editorial indicates that to date, the Embassy of Haiti in the Dominican Republic has delivered 39,000 Haitian birth certificates and 30,000 passports to citizens that have applied under the PNRE. Around 240,000 persons, mostly Haitians, nevertheless, have not been able to file the documents to meet the PNRE requirements.

http://elnacional.com.do/califican-i...oga-haitianos/
http://eldia.com.do/ampliacion-del-plazo-del-plan/


Lajun pressures to get paid more
The Lajun Corporation, which is in charge of the operation of the Duquesa dump, issued a press notice where it presents their side of the story. The company says they are being paid on average US$2 per ton of refuse, while the regional average is US$11. The company is asking for a rate of US$9 per ton. As a result, the company has limited reception of garbage to six hours a day, from 10am to 4pm from Monday to Friday. Lajun says it will not be accepting garbage from the municipalities of Santo Domingo Oeste, Pantoja nor Los Alcarrizos.

The Minister of Environment Francisco Domínguez countered this position and reiterated that the dump will remain open at regular hours. He said efforts are ongoing to move to more modern disposal of garbage that is more environmental friendly. In a meeting with the mayors of the Greater Santo Domingo, Domínguez decided to revoke the Lajun Corporation contract.

“Nobody is going to limit the schedule, nor close the dump, nor put in danger the health of the people,” said Domínguez. He stressed that the company would be allowed to put its particular interests before those of the collective good.

A press release from the Ministry of Environment indicates that the militarizing of the dump will continue to guarantee public health, independently from the administrative conflict between the city governments and Lajun Corporation.

http://hoy.com.do/dominguez-brito-du...an-necesarios/
http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/2017...o-duquesa.html
https://www.metrord.do/do/destacado/...ion-lajun.html
http://eldia.com.do/cabildos-rescind...ura-con-lajun/


Shootings in Salcedo evidence drug gangs’ control
Drug gangs disputing points of sale have brought terror to the El Mango and El Matadero barrios in Salcedo, Hermanas Mirabal province. Police and DNCD agents reportedly occupied the barrios yesterday, 19 July 2017, as reported in Listin Diario, after four persons were killed and at least three were injured in rival drug gang clashes. Listín Diario reporters say barrio people don’t dare to talk, fearing for their lives.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...luego-tragedia
https://elnuevodiario.com.do/tres-muertos/


Tourism expert Aquino to address Academy of Science
Luis Felipe Aquino, president of the Caribbean Tourism Marketplace and dean of the School of Tourism at Unapec, will be speaking at the Academy of Science of the Dominican Republic on the Evolution of Tourism in the Dominican Republic and Future Prospects.

During this conference, Aquino will lay out the challenges ahead for the tourist industry to maintain its status as a leading tourism destination in the entire Caribbean region. He will also discuss Medina administration’s goal for 10 million tourists in the country by 2020, and the impact that this will have on national development in terms of income and jobs.

The Academy of Sciences is located at Calle Las Damas 112 in the Colonial City.
https://elnuevodiario.com.do/academi...as-turismo-rd/


Ready, Set, Expo! Expo Cibao 2017
One of the largest commercial, cultural and social happenings in the Dominican Republic, the famous Expo Cibao, will take place this year from 27 September to 1 October 2017 on the grounds of the Gran Teatro Regional near the Monument in Santiago. For the first time, buyers will be participating in Expo Cibao.

According to the president of the Chamber of Commerce and Production of Santiago, Marco Cabral, this year’s theme is “The City: Everyone’s Business.” Cabral told the reporters from La Informacion that this year’s exhibition will include sales of vehicles, products and technology as well as talks by international experts on “best business practices.”

One of the aims, according to Cabral, of this very important exhibition is to increase the competitiveness of the province and the region.

Of course, one of the major attractions to Expo Cibao is the gamut of entertainment offered to the attendees and the 30th edition will be no different. Visitors will have access to some 300 kiosks offering services and products of over 150 companies.

http://www.lainformacion.com.do/noti...ocibao.com.do/


DR wins three gold medals in pentathlon championships
The Dominican Republic carried off three gold medals and a silver at the UIPM Biathle-Triathle National Tour held 15-16 July in Havana, Cuba. Some 160 athletes from different countries participated at the event.

The Dominican standouts were Ana Leidys Arias Macias, who achieved two gold medals (one in Triathle—swimming, running and shooting—in the Senior Division) and another in Biathle (swimming and running) in the same division. Katherine Garrido Espinosa won a gold and a silver medal in the Biathle Junior category.

Other countries that performed well in these events included Mexico, the United States, Cuba, Spain and Canada.

This event serves as a warm-up for Dominican athletes who are preparing for the Central American and Caribbean Games to be held next year in Barranquilla, Colombia and the Panamerican Games in Lima, Perú, in 2019.