New Here

e_bro

Jul 21, 2017
Hi All,

I currently live in the US, but I am making plans to move there for my retirement. I have just gotten an apartment and will be going down in August to furnish the place. Looking forward to setting up my new home.

I have made contact with Guzman about my residency, but just heard that I will need to wait until I start getting my Soc. Sec. income before I can get that. Researching ways to proceed with my planned move before that time. I really didn't want to go the route of 'overstay' tourist card, but that may be my best option.

I have some questions, but wanted to say hello first.

Eric

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Welcome to the largest, most active and #1 Dominican Republic community on the planet.

Ego boost over. LOL!

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Welcome and I echo what Robert said. The DR1 forum is a very active on-line community about all things DR related and then some and will provide you with varying opinions and help. Enjoy.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Indeed! Welcome always nice to see new people coming to paradise.
Russell

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi All,

I currently live in the US, but I am making plans to move there for my retirement. I have just gotten an apartment and will be going down in August to furnish the place. Looking forward to setting up my new home.

I have made contact with Guzman about my residency, but just heard that I will need to wait until I start getting my Soc. Sec. income before I can get that. Researching ways to proceed with my planned move before that time. I really didn't want to go the route of 'overstay' tourist card, but that may be my best option.

I have some questions, but wanted to say hello first.

Eric

Ok, where in the DR is your apt? As far as residency the process starts in your home country. You need to get together all the necessary documents, including a criminal background check. These documents all need to be translated into Spanish and approved by the Dominican Consulate in the US. Then you will bring these to the DR for Guzman to complete the process. These documents are time sensitive so you want to do this about 6 months prior to your permanent move to the DR. When you arrive in August your tourist card in good for 30 days but I believe you can either extend it and buy and extended card good for 90 days. Even if you have a to pay an overstay it is really not that much for a couple of months additional. How long before you actually are going to retire? I hope you are counting on more than just SS income to cover expenses in the DR? If you need any other info just ask. Good luck and good travels.