How does one initiate a criminal corporate tax fraud investigation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
I have searched General Directorate of Internal Taxes website but apart from a generic "contact us" button there are no clear directions on who to contact to make formal accusations of corporate tax fraud and evasion by a foreign owned corporate entity.

Is it a criminal or government jurisdiction???

Are formal accusations investigated and taken seriously?

I do not want to sue.
I am only interested in making a declaration of corporate fraud to the Dominican equivalent of the American IRS if indeed such an organization exists.
Thanks

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
What do you gain by doing this ? Don't be a Snitch !

Are you kidding me. Perhaps if taxes were paid for the privilege of conducting business in this country we might see a middle class develop at some point.

I will change my username to snitch if i can but I have more difficulty witnessing the poverty and absolute vacuum of social services.

I'll bet you 20 bucks Canadian you are a christian fundamentalist American republican expat.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
The ambiguity of your innuendo is impressive.
But you get points for spelling sheeessh correctly.
Thanks for your help and support to date.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
There are no nefarious factors influencing my decision to pursue this process and I stand to gain neither financially nor egotistically.
I am motivated because it bothers me from an ethical standpoint.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is the Legal Forum. No chitchat please. And it would be improper for him to disclose anything here. 

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
I was hoping for the name of some government organization. I have no interest in shaming the firm by posting the documents on a lay forum.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was hoping for the name of some government organization. I have no interest in shaming the firm by posting the documents on a lay forum.

The moderator for this forum is an attorney with a well respected firm in DR. Hopefully he will have the info you need, be patient though, because he's not here daily 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
There are no nefarious factors influencing my decision to pursue this process and I stand to gain neither financially nor egotistically.
I am motivated because it bothers me from an ethical standpoint.

You may be bothered but I would weigh what the impact will be to you personally when you talk to someone in the DR gov and give them info. There is no guarantee that they will persue what you are telling them. Are you a resident or Domincian Citizen if not you are on shaky ground here? A "gringo" making accusations probably won't be taken seriously and you could risk personal harm. Business ethics is up to interpretation in the DR. What is common practice in your home country is not in the DR. You can try to take some action but if you think that will directly result in changing anything is doubtful. People coming to the DR and think they can change anything will be very dissapointed. This is not your country and your hollier than attitude will not change a thing.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
We had the taxmen/auditors come into our restaurant about 11-years ago. They came in Full-Force, a big group of them. They went through our books, they set up shop for 2-days and monitored every single sale! They even had a guy stand by the kitchen and monitor every single item coming up on the kitchen printer. They took copies of everything. And then, when they had gathered all of the evidence of sales being recorded, they compared it to their own observations and notes. They had a formula, where basically, they knew what the daily, weekly, and monthly sales should be on "average", and then compared that based on what their observations and notes.

They crunched the numbers, and when everything was said and done, they gave us their detailed assessment of what they thought we should be declaring in taxes. It was really thorough, and they had the manpower to carry out their investigation.

Now, having said all this, whether or not its selective, and just how selective it is, i have no idea. I do know that small mom & pop shops, colmados, and small businesses are flying under the radar. I doubt they (the tax office) have the manpower or energy to go after small time tax evasion. But for the big stuff, they seem more then energetic and happy to pursue it. They closed down Outback Steakhouse in Santo Domingo inside Acropolis Mall some years back because of taxes...so, they have the manpower.

That's my experience.

Frank

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
But for the big stuff, they seem more then energetic and happy to pursue it. They closed down Outback Steakhouse in Santo Domingo inside Acropolis Mall some years back because of taxes...so, they have the manpower.

That's my experience.

Frank

And it took them years to open it again.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Are you sure? That's my regular place when I go for dinner with wife and kids, I don't recall it being closed for a long time.

Absolutely sure. That was back in the days when Dunkin Donuts went under as well, but not because of tax evasion. It was closed at least two or three years.

I was happy to see them return.

Status
Not open for further replies.