Buying in US advice

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
La Sirena (Pola) in Santiago has a small gasoline generator for about $6,300 pesos ($133 U.S.) at a lower power rating. I forgot the amount of wattage of the generator. Maybe 600 watts.

NOT SINE WAVE!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is it silence as this one you think? That would be great, 600 would even be enough.

I doubt that very much, getting quality here is hard to do.
Honda brand is usually the best and most quiet, but prices are high.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
How about itbis, is that on the whole amount or just the 39 something

Aduana (Customs) will charge on the total invoice amount , regardless . For example , a doctor friend of mine bought an item for $180 thinking it was within the "$200 limit " . When he got a RD$ 2,500 tax bill  - the explanation was that Item cost = $180 , Delivery to Miami =$24 so total invoice amount was $204 . Imagine paying $50 for just that $4 difference . Uffff ! He also said something about - you can only pay it online with your Dominican bank account . 

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Aduana (Customs) will charge on the total invoice amount , regardless . For example , a doctor friend of mine bought an item for $180 thinking it was within the "$200 limit " . When he got a RD$ 2,500 tax bill  - the explanation was that Item cost = $180 , Delivery to Miami =$24 so total invoice amount was $204 . Imagine paying $50 for just that $4 difference . Uffff ! He also said something about - you can only pay it online with your Dominican bank account

My freight forwarder pays any charges for me and adds it to the shipping charges to the D.R.
I pay them when I pick up the item.

Some freight forwarders require a credit card on file for your account, BMCargo does not.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will pay tax on the tax amount not just the amount over $200. In the DR you are probably better to buy a unit that runs on propane. Much more cost efficient.

I have had neighbors that purchased what looked like very good propane generators. They were destroyed very quickly and not at all worth their weight in feces.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I agree gas would be more reliable especially a Honda but you are going to pay for a Honda. 

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
The "golden rule" for anything mechanical is maintenance! Someone needs to be in charge of that and ensure it is done on a regular basis otherwise, it's Murphy's Law. If I may explain a couple of things - most, if not all, generators that you see at the local stores are "dual fuel"; meaning they will run on either gasoline or propane. Here's the problem - propane is a VERY dry fuel meaning it has little or no lubricating properties, thus the valve train and compression ring take a beating. Gasoline, on the other hand, does have natural lubricating properties thus the afore mentioned items are somewhat protected. In a motor specifically built for propane the valves and seats and piston rings are hardened steel which helps retard the wear. Additionally, a propane motor SHOULD be operated using a "low ash" type crankcase oil which inhibits the cleaning action of modern oils. Remember, propane is a very dry, clean fuel and leaves very small amounts of combustion deposits; by cleaning even more (using regular oils) you take away what lubricating properties that propane has. I have had good luck so far with two propane generators, one in an electrically under served barrio which operates almost everyday. Again, good maintenance and one person in charge of that!! Unable to find the low ash oil, I use Quaker State 20/50 and change it twice a year at least. No combustion deposits so the oil appears to be clean but it's just good practice and cheap insurance. I've never had to clean a spark plug, no combustion deposits. No gasoline smell and assuming you are going to store it in the house or at least locked away this is a major plus; availability of fuel is a plus, the bottle runs out you can always plug the house bottle to it or borrow the neighbors bottle until you can get a refill (the neighbor is gonna have an extension cord over at your place anyway). Each to their own...

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Leave it in the box. Put that box in another box. Send it by shipping company who will charge by dimensions of the box. Shipping usually takes about 15 days. I think you can also get that cheaper. shop around a bit.