Question about Prescription Medication from Canada that is illegal to possess here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
Assuming you bring supporting medical documentation from both your doctor and pharmacist, can you bring a 3 month supply of prescription medical marijuana upon arrival?
I am also curious about the legal status of prescription buprenorphine.
On another note..sorry
Is there legislation pertaining to analogues of controlled substances similar to what the U.S seems to be doing to counter the proliferation of novel research chemicals?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Personally I would not bring any marijuana to the DR at all. It is illegal, go to jail do not pass go and do not get out for at least a decade, medical or not. No idea re legal status of buprenorphine but all opiods need a medical prescription and as it is prescribed for addiction to opiods, bear in mind this country is not the best place to come if you are addicted to anything, be it drugs, alcohol or women. There are usually only tears at the end of the road.

My two cents.

Matilda

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Personally I would not bring any marijuana to the DR at all. It is illegal, go to jail do not pass go and do not get out for at least a decade, medical or not. No idea re legal status of buprenorphine but all opiods need a medical prescription and as it is prescribed for addiction to opiods, bear in mind this country is not the best place to come if you are addicted to anything, be it drugs, alcohol or women. There are usually only tears at the end of the road.

My two cents.

Matilda

Agree except with the addiction to women part. This is THE place for those poor souls who suffer woman addiction. I am currently in treatment and making slow steady progress. My therapist says it may be years before I fully recover so I am stuck here for the long term.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I should have said addiction to men too. Apologies for being sexist and good luck with your treatment.Slow and steady is the way to go (so I am told).

Matilda

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Assuming you bring supporting medical documentation from both your doctor and pharmacist, can you bring a 3 month supply of prescription medical marijuana upon arrival?
On another note..sorry
Is there legislation pertaining to analogues of controlled substances similar to what the U.S seems to be doing to counter the proliferation of novel research chemicals?

Are you joking Greg???  DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BRINGING IN MARIJUANA!!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
On another note..sorry

Sure you can bring ...free room and board when you arrive! No choice of roomates either ...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
On another note..sorry

... I am sure buprenophine..is a big no.no...in the USA it is mixed most of the time with naxalone, and called suboxone... a high dollar black market opioid.. the mix with naxalone makes the suboxone,the only opium based drug your brain with accept... so it is used in narcotic withdrawal....the only problem is because of the long half like of suboxone, so the withdrawal is longer than the drug you are withdrawing from, easier ways to withdraw.......Doc.....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Off course you can Greg. Just make sure your prescriptions are translated into Spanish so customs can understand them. You'll be off to your AI without further delay.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... but, but, but officer, I have a prescription from another country!

255je6q.jpg

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I think one would get away with an illegal weapon before Medicinal Mary Jane.
Also, I hope the Gov. of Canada and specific States in USA warn people about transporting MJ to foreign countries.
From what I heard it is not difficult to buy MJ in DR... but same response.... just don't get caught!

However I have found that a good shot of Barcello Imperial will quench the pain and addiction; and its legal.

Good question, excellent answers.... good advise..take it,,, it's free.
Russell

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Yea right, bringing 3 months supply of party drugs... Stay one month and sell two month supply. Maybe you will get a cell next to that Frankie fixit dude and give us an update.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
Yea right, bringing 3 months supply of party drugs... Stay one month and sell two month supply. Maybe you will get a cell next to that Frankie fixit dude and give us an update.

Many medications on the WHO's list of 100 essential medicines have side effects that if abused can create euphoria, dependence, tolerance, withdrawal and addiction.

I think you are missing the point. If the medication is essential for a recognized and debilitating medical condition, I would not be so quick to label it a party drug and if I wasn't so generous I would take considerable offence to that comment.

The next time you break your neck don't forget to gather your buddies for an extended fentanyl kegger.

Think of all the anxiolytics like xanax, klonopin and valium that I am certain are brought into the country and used as prescribed and with some cautionary discretion. Suddenly stopping these incredibly common medications to go on a holiday will present life-threatening situations.

Should some tourist leave their children's amphetamines at home if they suffer from debilitating ADHD??

I am pretty sure pure pharmaceutical grade speed is frowned upon as well by the police.

I am amazed at how much fear mongering and demonizing stigma still remains about cannabis.

BUT....many of the medications I referred to are likely legally prescribed in the DR.

So, I appreciate the difference.
I think that will ultimately prove to be the legal litmus test for cannabis.

I was not expecting to be hypothetically smoking a bong at customs. The cannabis would be in sealed prescription bottles with supporting medical documentation.

I am not a moron.
I completely understand and agree with the cautionary tone of most of the replies and with virtually no Spanish I can see the ramifications of explaining the situation to a police officer via a game of pictionary or charades..

Nothing I have written has been self incriminating.

My question, which was specifically posted in the legal forum appears to have attracted some interest from laypersons and those wishing to enlighten me about the cultural context as opposed to the simple question of legality.

I have since learned that both suboxone and methadone are forbidden so I expect that the answer to my hypothetical question is likely no for the same reasons.

But please remember, my question was quite clear. I am only interested in the legal status and not remotely interested in the cultural context.

If I wanted a torrent of unsupported opinion from people who likely have not read the specific legislative statute I would have posted in a different forum. I fear many of you would struggle to spell LSAT.

But I do appreciate the comments meant to keep me safe even if i had to wade through a tsunami of sarcasm and bewilderment to find them.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
From the Government of Canada Website

Alcohol, drugs and travel
There are over 1,700 Canadians in jail abroad—over one-third of them for drug-related offences. Carrying any kind of drugs, even prescription drugs, across international borders can cause problems.

This section offers information and advice to help you understand and avoid the risks related to drugs and travel.

Severe penalties for using or smuggling illegal drugs
When you travel abroad, you are subject to the laws of the country you are visiting. If you get caught with illegal drugs, being a foreigner or not knowing the local laws is no excuse—any more than it would be in Canada. Your Canadian citizenship does not give you immunity or preferential treatment in other countries.

Well, we all knew this first part.

BUT it appears my question is now entirely MOOT.

Warning
Being authorized to possess or produce marijuana under Canada’s Marihuana Medical Access Regulations does not allow you to carry marijuana in or out of Canada.
==================================================================
Maybe this thread will be of some help to some else, that would be a relief for my shattered self-esteem.

Greg Bradshaw

Mar 18, 2017
I think one would get away with an illegal weapon before Medicinal Mary Jane.
Also, I hope the Gov. of Canada and specific States in USA warn people about transporting MJ to foreign countries.
Good question, excellent answers.... good advise..take it,,, it's free.
Russell

thanks Russell, I should done my domestic homework before posting here.

Your reply stood out because it actually provided me with advice that exceeded your estimated advice MSRP
(free advice is worth it's weight)

My prescribing physician did not bring up any specific legal conditions that would apply to prescription cannabis and not prescription dexedrine.

However, I should have placed the onus on myself instead of relying on my doctor to discuss this with me.
Hypothetically

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From the Government of Canada Website

Alcohol, drugs and travel
There are over 1,700 Canadians in jail abroad—over one-third of them for drug-related offences. Carrying any kind of drugs, even prescription drugs, across international borders can cause problems.

This section offers information and advice to help you understand and avoid the risks related to drugs and travel.

Severe penalties for using or smuggling illegal drugs
When you travel abroad, you are subject to the laws of the country you are visiting. If you get caught with illegal drugs, being a foreigner or not knowing the local laws is no excuse—any more than it would be in Canada. Your Canadian citizenship does not give you immunity or preferential treatment in other countries.

Well, we all knew this first part.

BUT it appears my question is now entirely MOOT.

Warning
Being authorized to possess or produce marijuana under Canada’s Marihuana Medical Access Regulations does not allow you to carry marijuana in or out of Canada.
==================================================================
Maybe this thread will be of some help to some else, that would be a relief for my shattered self-esteem.

Well there it is, I'm glad you found a definitive answer.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's legal for someone with medical mj to travel with it from their state to another state that doesn't permit it [in the US]. I have traveled to DR with prescriptions for Oxy, Vicodin, delaudid, etc., following surgeries. Never a problem, but marijuana is a whole different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.