Dominican expressions for time - Just ladies to post

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We could spend hours discussing cultural issues between Dominicans and other nationalities, but let's start with time. My internet went off yesterday and after an hour I called the internet man. He said electricity was off where the internet is based and he was on his way there to switch to inverter. He said he would be there in un ratico/ or un ratito. So what are the times for these different terms?

ahora - maybe an hour, but less quickly than ahora mismo?
de una vez - faster than ahora mismo? Or the same?
ahorita - never
un rato - couple of hours?
un ratico/ratito - less than a couple of hours?
despues - never

I have worked out with my Dominican husband that 5 minutes is 30, 20 minutes is 2 hours and an hour is tomorrow.

Remember NO MEN TO POST PLEASE

Matilda

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My biggest was "si voy". Me: Are you going to go pick that up at the store for me? Reply: Si voy. But when?? now, 2 hours from now, tomorrow, when? If I said "come here I need you for a minute" answer would be "si voy". 30 minutes later I am still waiting.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Not sure where si voy goes in the list lol. But 30 minutes is pretty good really. What gets me is when will you come home and answer is ahorita and that can be a week! But I love when he speaks english and mas tarde is more afternoon. When will you come home - more afternoon lol.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I always get that answer..ahorita..lol. If he answers ahorita then I pretty much know it is not anytime soon. Ahora mismo probably is 1 to 2 hours. His family is the same way.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Am I the only woman married to a Dominican who is always either on time or early? He fumes when his brother is late or a no-show. Maybe I married him young enough to train him well, haha! Seriously though, he's always been that way.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ya estoy saliendo = I'll get around to setting off eventually
Estoy llegando = I've just left
Estoy en la esquina = I'm leaving now
Estoy en la puerta = I'm on my way

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Funny when we are in the DR he is on DR time, ahorita time. When we are in the US he seems to be much more time conscious. Except whenever I ask "can you come here I need you for a minute", it is still always "si voy" and I sit and wait...lol. Hmmm maybe there is something to that..lol

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
espera momentito could be hours
sometimes when they are saying I will be right back they say benga ahora. It confused me because I thought it meant come here now. But they were leaving. It could be hours too.
Pronto could be weeks. Must be they forgot they said pronto.
I saved my sanity by not believing real time.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
24o3ak8.jpg

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Okay so I know this thread is a few weeks old now but I was out of town that week and didn't see it until now! My husband is ALWAYS on time, in the DR and in Canada, which is fantastic - since I'm the gal that believes if you're on time, you're late; you need to be there 15 minutes ahead! haha. But, if we make a plan...say, I call him when I'm 30 minutes from home hoping I can just pick him up and head out for dinner? As an example. He will have had that 30 minutes advanced warning. But will NOT even start to get ready until I am at home, inside the house. So that 30 minutes heads up means nothing! Aggravating lol. You'd think I would learn over the years but every once in awhile (last Friday included), I still expected him to be ready when I arrived home.