Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting out of the resort - Grand Bahia Prinicipe El Portillo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting out of the resort - Grand Bahia Prinicipe El Portillo

I'm going for 1 week to El Portillo. I will do the usual touristy stuff. I'd like to see El Limón Waterfall, Los Haitises National Park and perhaps go snorkeling. I don't have a buddy so not sure if that's possible. If you read this headline: "Canadian tourist snorkels off the beach and is dragged out to sea." you know who it is.

What do you recommend? Should I tour all the beaches? Take the tours from the hotel? Or connect with a tour operator in Las Terrenas? As much as possible I'd like to support the local economy. I read the Guide to Samana are these the preferred tour operators?

Also what about donating school supplies, should I do that at the hotel or is there a local charity you recommend? What about a local guagua into town? Is that doable from that hotel?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not far to Playa Caleton. Ask for Tony and you will eat like a Queen right on the beach in the shade. One of the best beaches anywhere.

Don't go on the weekend though.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pl...xdby1z0rlQjfM:

3. Likes margaret liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

But isn't Playa Caleton near Rio San Juan?

5. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Sky is suggesting Playa Rincon, an excellent suggestion.

8. Likes margaret liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, such lovely photos Sky! You're right Ron, it's about 2 hours away. I should have gone there in 2006 when I first visited the DR in a sweltering August.

10. Likes RonS liked this post
    Dislikes HIRAM disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not 2 hours from where she is. Less than an hour.

12. Likes margaret liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    I'm going for 1 week to El Portillo. I will do the usual touristy stuff. I'd like to see El Limón Waterfall, Los Haitises National Park and perhaps go snorkeling. I don't have a buddy so not sure if that's possible. If you read this headline: "Canadian tourist snorkels off the beach and is dragged out to sea." you know who it is.

What do you recommend? Should I tour all the beaches? Take the tours from the hotel? Or connect with a tour operator in Las Terrenas? As much as possible I'd like to support the local economy. I read the Guide to Samana are these the preferred tour operators?

Also what about donating school supplies, should I do that at the hotel or is there a local charity you recommend? What about a local guagua into town? Is that doable from that hotel?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions?
    If your trip is a week only, you have selected probably the best two excursions at this time of year. Salta Limon is a good morning excursion on mule and there will be tour options from the hotel. You can add on the zip line too if you want. Equally a trip to Parque Haitises should be a must on anybody's list and will be a day long trip with an early start.

You will have no problem going on your own on an organised trip from the hotel.

Of course you could take several short trips to Las Terrenas (5mins away) and book an excursion from there. LT is so close so you can go and visit a few of the spectacular beaches there. I would suggest a trip to Playa Coson which is a few miles out of LT and a lunch and afternoon based by the very casual Luis Restaurant on the beach. Playa Bonita is a personal favourite. Night life in LT is subdued but it is there for those that know........authentic nightlife at La Bodega.

If you want some Sunday afternoon and late afternoon Dominican fun, go to the natural spring pool on the road between Portillo and Limon which is maybe 5kn away from your hotel and chill with locals in a safe environment.....ask a bell boy at the hotel to get there. And Playa Moron is close too.

You are within a few kms of everything...enjoy to the full.

14. Likes margaret liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You can take the quaquas on the road in front of the Portillo to Las Terrenas or to Limon/Samana City. About every 30 min til about 6pm. No Problems, the drivers are mostly friendly.

16. Likes margaret, Fulano2 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at this hotel a few years back.

One thing we enjoyed was walking the beach to LT for lunch....
    At that point, the hotel beach had parachuting.....2008

18. Likes margaret liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast