Sosua Beach News

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Google Translation:

Authorities oversee complaints about beach clutter Sosúa 24 Jul 2017 SOSÚA, PUERTO PLATA.- This weekend the environment minister made an unexpected visit to Sosua beach, said he is working to make decisions on the more than 200 booths of bars, restaurants And shops that exist in the spa. During the supervision of the authorities, the presence of many sex workers and African-American tourists who frequently sought their services was noted. Often tourists and criollos visitors complain about the abusive prices of food, drinks and beach chairs, the constant harassment they are subjected to when walking by sex workers and street vendors, horns probing loudspeakers, little space For bathers, among others. During the journey of almost a kilometer to the environment minister was accompanied by the mayor of the municipality of Sosúa Ilana Neumann who told the media that no decision has yet been taken on the relocation of the booths of this spa and that the visit was treated Of palpar the current situation of the same. Domínguez Brito spoke with owners, employees and tourists as he walked and watched carefully as the trade in this town unfolds. While some vendors complained that the president of the beach craftsmen Sosúa, Mr. Andres Batista was not present on the beach during the tour of the authorities.

https://www.enteratepop.com/single-...supervisan-quejas-por-desorden-en-playa-Sosúa

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Welcome to Dominican Republic.... there is always Florida beaches not very far away ... lol

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
How about providing trash cans. There are no trash cans. Be a nice first step. There is good police presence on the week ends when it is busy. Sosua Beach is immensely popular. Santiago thinks of it as their beach. Its a great beach. Just manage it.
Race comments are just foolish and improper. In the first world you lose your job over that talk.
This whole surprise visit sounds more and more like a set up.
If the town took a positive interest in the beach instead of these expose sneak inspections it would be better for all.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How about providing trash cans. There are no trash cans. Be a nice first step. .

Yes, they should re-invent the "Don't Be a Litterbug" campaign from the 50/60's in the States. Push it at kids and within a generation you might have something that sticks - nationwide of course.

I'm sure they'll have nice trash cans at the new Sosua Beach Plazas.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It's funny....the one thing I have noticed about the beach over the past few years is the absence of the working girls. Sure there are a few but it pales in comparison to about 5 years ago. This is just a set up for the takeover by big business.

It amazes me that they point out one demographic in particular.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a reason why they pointed out one demographic in particular. Give it some more time and it will become clear what Brito and the central government of the DR are up to.

Could be a lot of time, only because this is the DR.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I smell diesel from a dozer coming down the Rd in the future just a matter of time.....

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
There is a reason why they pointed out one demographic in particular. Give it some more time and it will become clear what Brito and the central government of the DR are up to.

Could be a lot of time, only because this is the DR.

It's clear now....the beach is destined to be taken out of public usage. There are palms being greased.....and they are not trees.

They have done a great job beautifying the town of Sosua....it's like night and day.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It's clear now....the beach is destined to be taken out of public usage. .

There is no way that can happen. Sosua Beach will remain public.

There's two kinds of property at the beach:

One is the 60 meter public setback. It has public roads that come right to it on both ends. No way the gov't would ever try to block those accesses. It wouldn't stand with the locals. They can't even keep a road closure working on PC. It won't happen at Sosua Beach either.

The other property at the beach is the privately owned land that is beyond the 60 meter setback. Being privately owned, the owner can obtain permits and build whatever they see as best use for the site. If there are vendor shacks on that private land, they can remove them. I think they've been pretty generous to this point. And the vendors have gotten plenty of warning.

If they're smart, they'll leave a middle access to the beach from the highway. If they don't, beach goers will decide to make their own. So you might as plan for it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The original plan was to remove the beach vendors and locate them in new buildings at the ends of the beach. We can speculate on any new plans until they are announced. Same plan as before? Lifestyles buys all the land and controls beach access? To whatever else could possibly happen. Even putting garbage cans on the beach. Speculation is frequently fun.

I am reasonably certain there are many changes coming from the signals on the coconut telegraph.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The original plan was to remove the beach vendors and locate them in new buildings at the ends of the beach. We can speculate on any new plans until they are announced. Same plan as before? Lifestyles buys all the land and controls beach access? To whatever else could possibly happen. Even putting garbage cans on the beach. Speculation is frequently fun.

I am reasonably certain there are many changes coming from the signals on the coconut telegraph.

I agree, but hopefully the government comes up with enough money to actually follow through and compete it. Also, hope they do not turn it into something like Puerto Plata beach.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011

Sounds similar to what happened at Playa Grande. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playa Grande

I was opposed to the idea....in fact I stopped going and still stay away.

However, the vendors ( fewer of them) are better off than before, traffic and business is up

All in all a positive result.... in spite of my criticism.

I think the displaced vendors were compensated.... handsomely 

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A perfect example!

How is that working out at Playa Grande?

I for one would like to see Sosua Beach be a safe place to go at night.

I always felt safer on the beach at night then I did on Sunday afternoons.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's funny....the one thing I have noticed about the beach over the past few years is the absence of the working girls. Sure there are a few but it pales in comparison to about 5 years ago. This is just a set up for the takeover by big business.

It amazes me that they point out one demographic in particular.

Exactly.Unless you are there for that purpose no girls will bother you and I may be a bit naive but there really does not seem to be a huge problem..
Total BS..

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I agree also its only a matter of time before the bulldozer hits all those lil bars and restaurants along Sosua beach. As I recall from a long time ago it was like 50K USD to buy one of those lil shacks and get registered with their beach organization. A couple of the people I knew who had bars said they were selling. Some to move inside the town others not wanting the business anymore. What I heard is a retired politically connected general was the glue that held it all together and making a nice salary over that. I also heard he wasn't getting any younger and its all over after he is no longer around. I imagine since the property could not be owned all are out of their initial investment once it goes.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
How about providing trash cans. There are no trash cans. Be a nice first step.

A couple of years ago when I was living in Sosua they did put these big plastic Blue garbage cans spaced out down the beach. It wasn't long however before they were removed. Sad but true many Dominicans can not be bothered to walk any distance to dispose of their trash. So much easier to just leave it lying there on the beach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
A couple of years ago when I was living in Sosua they did put these big plastic Blue garbage cans spaced out down the beach. It wasn't long however before they were removed. Sad but true many Dominicans can not be bothered to walk any distance to dispose of their trash. So much easier to just leave it lying there on the beach.

What does that tell us about where we live? And some say this booming economy will become a high tech, non cash, "smart island", a leading example of Latin America. This will all be accomplished by people who dont see the importance of NOT throwing garbage on their most precious natural assets, BEACHES!!!