Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daughter/Son in-law family - Ladies only forum

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Thanks, I've never seen the show, link explains the situation well.

To those who watch this show, do the couples ever have normal, successful marriages? Probably not, would be too boring and result in low ratings.
    Of course all of the couples have problems. Most are cultural differences. One couple is in the process of divorce. The woman is much older than the husband. In this case the woman is more than a little strange. Another couple is separated and headed for divorce also.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, You were lucky because of your husband's upbringing. Also, it was a time before sankies were in full force. AND You are a smart woman.
    Not ALL Dominicans are sankies!

3. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I have hundreds lol. The cultural issues are immense. The main ones are the sending money home to the family, which many foreign women will not accept, and the inability on the part of the Dominican man to manage money. In addition, many ladies talk about Dominican culture saying "It is wrong" because they are not used to it, rather than accepting it "as different".
    I know you have hundreds of stories. After all we lived in the same town. ha ha Plus you belong to some groups that deal with it.
    I rarely intervened in the bad relationships I knew of in the DR. Once when the woman was being physically abused by her sanki I did try to counsel her. ( Since I did write a book about domestic violence and counseled a few women). She eventually moved on when she realized she was broke in more ways than one.
    I understand some of the culture. It doesn't mean I have to like it. Sharing money with family is fine as long as it isn't excessive. I understand the cheating because it goes on around the world. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

5. Likes Matilda, Africaida, keepcoming liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the concept is flawed - giving people just 90 days to marry is too much pressure. Usually first chance for a Dominican, to leave the country, foreign wife been here to an all inclusive for a couple of weeks. There is no way they should get married so quickly. In the UK it is 6 months you have to get married - I don't think Canada has a fiance visa.

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

7. Likes AnnaC, dulce, KateP, keepcoming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I want to watch that show

Sounds entertaining.

I come from a culture where kids are expected to take care of their parents and family. It s not always easy, it s an extra pressure, but it is what it is. I see it as a way to give back for the sacrifices they made for me, I send money monthly to my mom. She doesn't even need it, but if it makes her happy, I suck it up. Some of my friends are shocked, but it is hard to get away from it when that s how you were raised.

9. Likes Matilda, dulce, keepcoming, Aguaita29 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree 90 days is not enough time .

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked Dominican husband why the MIL would have cooked that meal of chicken's feet and gizzards and I expected some deep meaningful cultural reply. Answer: "Because she is evil."

Sorted.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

12. Likes dulce, sylindr, AnnaC, Africaida, Robert and 5 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Julia31 View Post
    I don't see it quite as drastic. Its a tv show. You can bet that the producers asked the family to cook the most exotic stuff to shock the girls family. I saw the same in a german tv show where the girl was sent to help with lunch preparation..would not help for real in the DR..Its all scripted
    I agree. It sounds like a strange thing to do for a first time meeting. People usually just want their guests to have a nice meal and the best meat possible. Even if there is a little discontent, it's not the time to get the claws out.....YET!

14. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There have been a smattering of successful couples on this show - usually ones who have lived together overseas first before returning to the US. But happy ole boring couples don't make for good TV drama, do they?

16. Likes Matilda, keepcoming, dulce liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What is reality TV without a bit of drama thrown in...lol. Interesting though with the DR/American couple that their storyline is typical of the reputation that some have of relationships with Dominicans. Maybe the producers were followers of the Mars/Venus forum here on DR1..lol. Serving chicken feet as Matilda's husband stated was just the added evil thrown in.

18. Likes dulce liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast