Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Santiago

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Visiting Santiago

Hello everyone. I'm a grad student in Miami that will be making a short solo visit to Santiago next week for vacation.  I've done some research and know some of the museums and attractions that I'd like to see in the city. I also want to purchase some Dominican books by esteemed authors - is Libreria Cuesta any good? If anyone could let me know of any nice (not super expensive) restaurants/lounges/bars to visit while there I would greatly appreciate it as well! Thank you! 

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes!
    Libreria Cuesta is good. Two locations here.
    The one on the corner of Av 27 de Febrero and Av Salvador Estrella Sadhala
    inside Supermercado Nacional has the better selection. Plenty of nice restaurants
    in the center of town. Aroma Del Sol is one of my favorites. Or maybe try a cachapa
    at Martin's on Calle Beller just down the hill from the monument. I don't do the lounges
    and bars, prefer to drink in the street with friends or in my neighborhood colmado.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! Do you know about the museums? Are some days free entrance? 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Yes!
    Libreria Cuesta is good. Two locations here.
    The one on the corner of Av 27 de Febrero and Av Salvador Estrella Sadhala
    inside Supermercado Nacional has the better selection. Plenty of nice restaurants
    in the center of town. Aroma Del Sol is one of my favorites. Or maybe try a cachapa
    at Martin's on Calle Beller just down the hill from the monument. I don't do the lounges
    and bars, prefer to drink in the street with friends or in my neighborhood colmado.

Forgot to reply with quote, do you know about the museums? Are some days free entrance? 

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrg2003 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Do you know about the museums? Are some days free entrance? 
    I don't know about free days but Museums are cheap throughout the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Museums:
    No free days that I know about but the cost is tiny.

You have to see Centro León on 27 de Febrero. Easy to get to by Uber or public cars (CJ line).

There are also exhibitions at the old Fortaleza San Luis and at the Monumento. That makes three.

The folklore museum is closed. No moey to keep it up.

For good eating there is the Tablon up by the Monument, next to Puerta del Sol. In the area of the Jardines Metropolitanos there are lots of Places...There is a nice place on Av. Metropolitana that is run by a poster here (Gurabo)...It is between Sebastian Valverde and Bartolomé Colón.

There is BBQ Express on Av. Texas. There is a cool place called La Leña on Augustin Acevedo, open Wed - Sun...Food is good,mmmm.

And there are some premium places like Pedro's and Claudio. Santiago is full of Chinese and Italian places...

Have a nice stay.

Cordially, HB

Moderator DR1.com

7. Likes bachata, jinty05, CristoRey, USA DOC liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrg2003 View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm a grad student in Miami that will be making a short solo visit to Santiago next week for vacation.  I've done some research and know some of the museums and attractions that I'd like to see in the city. I also want to purchase some Dominican books by esteemed authors - is Libreria Cuesta any good? If anyone could let me know of any nice (not super expensive) restaurants/lounges/bars to visit while there I would greatly appreciate it as well! Thank you! 
    The Centro Leon museum is free on Tuesdays. They have a nice cafeteria there too for lunch.

One of the best spots to eat is La Hamburgueseria, on Calle España in the city. Instagram: @lahamburgueseriacalle13

The best Venezuelan food is in Villa Olga - La Areperia

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

La hamburgueseria...must be great.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by courtneypowers View Post
    The Centro Leon museum is free on Tuesdays. They have a nice cafeteria there too for lunch.

One of the best spots to eat is La Hamburgueseria, on Calle España in the city. Instagram: @lahamburgueseriacalle13

The best Venezuelan food is in Villa Olga - La Areperia

Thanks! I was going to say this as well since I looked on Centro Leon's website and yes it's free on Tuesdays. I leave tomorrow. Is there anything I must do on a Saturday night in Santiago? I don't think rain is in the forecast since I live in Miami and the tropics have been pretty quiet so far, but just in case are there any great indoor activities?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    La hamburgueseria...must be great.
    I've eaten there. I thought the burger I had was good however the person who
    ate with me that evening said his wasn't. 50/50.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast