Visiting Santiago

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm a grad student in Miami that will be making a short solo visit to Santiago next week for vacation.  I've done some research and know some of the museums and attractions that I'd like to see in the city. I also want to purchase some Dominican books by esteemed authors - is Libreria Cuesta any good? If anyone could let me know of any nice (not super expensive) restaurants/lounges/bars to visit while there I would greatly appreciate it as well! Thank you! 

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes!
Libreria Cuesta is good. Two locations here.
The one on the corner of Av 27 de Febrero and Av Salvador Estrella Sadhala
inside Supermercado Nacional has the better selection. Plenty of nice restaurants
in the center of town. Aroma Del Sol is one of my favorites. Or maybe try a cachapa
at Martin's on Calle Beller just down the hill from the monument. I don't do the lounges
and bars, prefer to drink in the street with friends or in my neighborhood colmado.

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
Yes!
Libreria Cuesta is good. Two locations here.
The one on the corner of Av 27 de Febrero and Av Salvador Estrella Sadhala
inside Supermercado Nacional has the better selection. Plenty of nice restaurants
in the center of town. Aroma Del Sol is one of my favorites. Or maybe try a cachapa
at Martin's on Calle Beller just down the hill from the monument. I don't do the lounges
and bars, prefer to drink in the street with friends or in my neighborhood colmado.

Forgot to reply with quote, do you know about the museums? Are some days free entrance? 

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Museums:
No free days that I know about but the cost is tiny.

You have to see Centro León on 27 de Febrero. Easy to get to by Uber or public cars (CJ line).

There are also exhibitions at the old Fortaleza San Luis and at the Monumento. That makes three.

The folklore museum is closed. No moey to keep it up.

For good eating there is the Tablon up by the Monument, next to Puerta del Sol. In the area of the Jardines Metropolitanos there are lots of Places...There is a nice place on Av. Metropolitana that is run by a poster here (Gurabo)...It is between Sebastian Valverde and Bartolomé Colón.

There is BBQ Express on Av. Texas. There is a cool place called La Leña on Augustin Acevedo, open Wed - Sun...Food is good,mmmm.

And there are some premium places like Pedro's and Claudio. Santiago is full of Chinese and Italian places...

Have a nice stay.

Cordially, HB

courtneypowers

Sep 18, 2003
Hello everyone. I'm a grad student in Miami that will be making a short solo visit to Santiago next week for vacation.  I've done some research and know some of the museums and attractions that I'd like to see in the city. I also want to purchase some Dominican books by esteemed authors - is Libreria Cuesta any good? If anyone could let me know of any nice (not super expensive) restaurants/lounges/bars to visit while there I would greatly appreciate it as well! Thank you! 

The Centro Leon museum is free on Tuesdays. They have a nice cafeteria there too for lunch.

One of the best spots to eat is La Hamburgueseria, on Calle España in the city. Instagram: @lahamburgueseriacalle13

The best Venezuelan food is in Villa Olga - La Areperia

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
The Centro Leon museum is free on Tuesdays. They have a nice cafeteria there too for lunch.

One of the best spots to eat is La Hamburgueseria, on Calle España in the city. Instagram: @lahamburgueseriacalle13

The best Venezuelan food is in Villa Olga - La Areperia

Thanks! I was going to say this as well since I looked on Centro Leon's website and yes it's free on Tuesdays. I leave tomorrow. Is there anything I must do on a Saturday night in Santiago? I don't think rain is in the forecast since I live in Miami and the tropics have been pretty quiet so far, but just in case are there any great indoor activities?

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
I just wanted to update this thread with regards to my wonderful trip to Santiago. I had such a nice time and the people that I met were very friendly! I stayed at Via Emilia B&B in Villa Olga.  I thought Villa Olga was a very nice area of Santiago with nice homes/apartments, restaurants/bars in walking distance and it definitely had more of an upscale vibe (BMW's, Mercedes, etc.).  I did all of the tourist attractions that Santiago has to offer minus the cigar factory and I did want to go to Diego de Ocampo but didn't coordinate it well enough in advance. 

I went to Liberia Cuesta too inside of the supermarket on Av. 27 de Febrero and bought books by Juan Bosch and 1 on Dr. Joaquin Balaguer.  Many of their Dominican books were about Trujillo however, they did not have the book that I really wanted to purchase by Bernardo Vega - Quienes Eran Los Ricos al Final de la Dictadura de Trujillo, which was disappointing.  El Tablon Latino across the street from the Monument has this amazing alcoholic Morir Sonando that they serve in a plastic bag.  All of the bars and restaurants that I went to were fantastic.  

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
La hamburgueseria...must be great.
If it's the restaurant across the side street from El Tesoro on 27th de Frbrero near Supermercado Nacional, we may try it this week for lunch. We saw it last night and looks interesting.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I just wanted to update this thread with regards to my wonderful trip to Santiago. I had such a nice time and the people that I met were very friendly! I stayed at Via Emilia B&B in Villa Olga.  I thought Villa Olga was a very nice area of Santiago with nice homes/apartments, restaurants/bars in walking distance and it definitely had more of an upscale vibe (BMW's, Mercedes, etc.).  I did all of the tourist attractions that Santiago has to offer minus the cigar factory and I did want to go to Diego de Ocampo but didn't coordinate it well enough in advance. 

I went to Liberia Cuesta too inside of the supermarket on Av. 27 de Febrero and bought books by Juan Bosch and 1 on Dr. Joaquin Balaguer.  Many of their Dominican books were about Trujillo however, they did not have the book that I really wanted to purchase by Bernardo Vega - Quienes Eran Los Ricos al Final de la Dictadura de Trujillo, which was disappointing.  El Tablon Latino across the street from the Monument has this amazing alcoholic Morir Sonando that they serve in a plastic bag.  All of the bars and restaurants that I went to were fantastic.  

Having lived in multiple towns on the north coast and down in the Capital, I'd say Santiago
has a little bit of everything small town/ big city.. ya just have to get to know the place.
Well worth a second (or third) visit :)

courtneypowers

Sep 18, 2003
If it's the restaurant across the side street from El Tesoro on 27th de Frbrero near Supermercado Nacional, we may try it this week for lunch. We saw it last night and looks interesting.

No, it's in the city, on calle España.... you can find it on Google maps