air china interested in DR?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I guess it would depend on the aircraft used. I just wonder if there really is a market to sustain it.

May 5, 2007
I agree that a direct flight is impossible currently and that a stop over is necessary. But I am dumber than a tree stump.

It can be made using 74, 77 and 787's I don't know about Airbus birds According to air miles charts it is about a 15.5 hour flight and flights in excess of 16 hours are currently flown Would wonder about the viability as I would think a full load would be necessary yet a full load may be a problem for that distance

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
If anyone has ever worked in the Intel community, they would know this isn't about tourism.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If anyone has ever worked in the Intel community, they would know this isn't about tourism.

I have been reading that this also can have some politics issues about Taiwian, as we recognize it as a country, we dont have diplomatics relationships with china, only Commercials. To have Diplomatics relationships with china the first point in the agenda is that we must closed the relationship with Taiwan.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cut ties with Taiwan to get the flight from mainland China, then the mainland stops the flights. Sounds like a potential plan. ( I spent a week in Taiwan about 20 years ago trying to sell them SIGINT equipment)

Last edited:

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
many years authorities are promising flights from Dubai, but it is almost impossible, they can't fly even to PTY. 
There is no market now for regular flights between China and DR, those who want go there may connect in USA o Europe.

Tokyo Mexico takes up to 14 hours, so how would you reach DR from China and who will fly so far.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are many flights from New York to Peking,Seoul and to Tokyo with Airbus and Boeing but none direct to Bangkok and ,although I may be wrong I think the direct NY to Singapore flights have been discontinued . I think it would be stretching things a bit to fly against the wind from SDQ to Peking ..I can not see this happening. However I would welcome some direct flights from either Panama or Mexico city to Asia..just to avoid the horrible transit situation in the USA

May 5, 2007
7287 nmi miles Beijing to Santo Domingo

Airbus 340, Boeing 777, 787 and I think the 747-800ER can all exceed 8,500 nmi

The economics of it perplexes me unless the DR is about to be inundated with Chinese tourists?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
China has a very significant presence in the Caribbean islands, Cuba and with a growing South American market too. Maybe Haiti too soon. There are many thousands of Chinese working in construction regionally and many more thousand ethnic Chinese both here and spread throughout the islands.

Air China is what one might refer to as the national airline and it is logical that as their international presence spreads and grows rapidly that they develop better air links with their mainland.

Many a time I have been flying through airports in the Caribbean and have seen large numbers of Chinese passengers travelling and know their journey is currently long through a US or European gateway normally with all the hassles of visas. So it seems absolutely logical they are out to plan to skip past the USA going forward with flights to Latin America and the Caribbean and so Santo Domingo, or perhaps Punta Cana, mindful of the vast and growing Chinese tourism sector, are realistic options.

http://www.arecoa.com/aerolineas/20...eres-por-abrir-vuelos-a-republica-dominicana/

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
There could be an interesting spin off here. Sex tours are a big draw for a lot of Asian men. Japanese men are notorious for it. If the Chinese men start coming to the DR for the sex trade, Sosua and other places could have a different king of tourist walking the streets. I've been wintering in the DR for over ten years and can count on one hand the number of Asian families I've encountered in Playa Dorada. They come in from Canada and the USA with their children in tow and stay on the resorts.

Gambling is a draw for many Asian tourists. I can see that working to a small degree. Beyond that, I don't know what the draw would be here for Asian tourists. They have access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, all a short flight away from their country.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
China has a very significant presence in the Caribbean islands, Cuba and with a growing South American market too. Maybe Haiti too soon. There are many thousands of Chinese working in construction regionally and many more thousand ethnic Chinese both here and spread throughout the islands.

Air China is what one might refer to as the national airline and it is logical that as their international presence spreads and grows rapidly that they develop better air links with their mainland.

Many a time I have been flying through airports in the Caribbean and have seen large numbers of Chinese passengers travelling and know their journey is currently long through a US or European gateway normally with all the hassles of visas. So it seems absolutely logical they are out to plan to skip past the USA going forward with flights to Latin America and the Caribbean and so Santo Domingo, or perhaps Punta Cana, mindful of the vast and growing Chinese tourism sector, are realistic options.

http/www.arecoa.com/aerolineas/2017...eres-por-abrir-vuelos-a-republica-dominicana/

As you say, Air China has a significant presence in the Caribbean.
It also has a significant presence world wide using many international gateways.
They offer package specials Montreal-Havana.
In Vancouver BC, Chinese airlines have a major presence  for connections to the Pacific Rim.
Many international passengers avoid flying through US airports because of major inconveniences,visas including transit visas, entry requirements, bad connections, frequent delays poor or no service.
China is expanding and investing billions world wide.
The best thing that could happen to the DR, would be a Chinese connection.
Industry, roads, transit, electricity,drinking water plants and airline connections could thrive  through Chinese investments and know how.
https://www.airchina.ca

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Chinese milk, Cuba Dave, etc. have nothing to do with Air China flying to DR.

Thread cleaned up. Let's try harder to stay on topic please.