Adobe - finally kills flash

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's like someone here saying they'll do it mañana. 2020 is a long way off. Must be costing Adobe a fortune keeping all the holes plugged - Good riddance.

Jul 28, 2014
You can thank Steve Jobs for that :)

I find him to be a bit hypocritical, of all people disliking a product for being proprietary (and yes I know there were other reasons), a bit of pot calling the kettle black there. And besides, hes long dead and gone, he wasn't the main nail in the coffin for the product.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I find him to be a bit hypocritical, of all people disliking a product for being proprietary (and yes I know there were other reasons), a bit of pot calling the kettle black there. And besides, hes long dead and gone, he wasn't the main nail in the coffin for the product.

It was also very much about being a bug invested security nightmare.

I think you will find pretty much every tech pundit agrees Apple put the death nail in the Flash coffin.

It started with this letter...

https://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Jul 28, 2014
The reasons Flash was destined to be put aside more or less are:

1. Apple didn't want it (multiple reasons, some of which are mentioned below)

2. Android doesn't support it

3. Current technologies i.e. WebGL used in HTML5 no longer require Flash. HTML5 code runs natively within web browsers and is designed to be light on its feet and super-fast. By comparison, Flash is cumbersome, consumes a huge amount of system resources and has a very real impact on mobile device battery life

4. Search engines like Google can index the text from Flash files, but they don't really want to, due to the fact that they’re far more concerned about a website’s ability to be displayed correctly on as many devices as possible.

5. Flash required its own player. That means each web browser you use needs to have a Flash plugin configured and turned on, thus slowing its performance and opening up certain security holes.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The reasons Flash was destined to be put aside more or less are:

1. Apple didn't want it (multiple reasons, some of which are mentioned below)

2. Android doesn't support it

3. Current technologies i.e. WebGL used in HTML5 no longer require Flash. HTML5 code runs natively within web browsers and is designed to be light on its feet and super-fast. By comparison, Flash is cumbersome, consumes a huge amount of system resources and has a very real impact on mobile device battery life

4. Search engines like Google can index the text from Flash files, but they don't really want to, due to the fact that they’re far more concerned about a website’s ability to be displayed correctly on as many devices as possible.

5. Flash required its own player. That means each web browser you use needs to have a Flash plugin configured and turned on, thus slowing its performance and opening up certain security holes.

I agree with all your points.

April, 2010, the worst month in the history of Flash :)