7 on a moto you say?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
From todays DR1 news:

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...-Wednesday-26-July-2017?p=1806051#post1806051

Four dead in motorcycle carrying seven
A motorcycle that was travelling from Dajabon, being driven by a man from Santiago, crashed with seven illegal Haitians on board, killing four, including the driver.

How is it even practically possible to to get 7 adults and one child on a moto. I can't visualize this scenario unless they built some sort of gymnastics pyramid.

Greed and stupidity. I wonder how many oficials they drove past before the pyramid collapsed?

Jul 28, 2014
I've seen 5, but yeah, I'm not sure how the moto even functions, being able to sustain the weight without the suspension throwing in the towel.

[video]https://giphy.com/gifs/jon-stewart-daily-show-reaction-gifs-2yFoDdleNFGzm[/video]

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
As much as the driver and the passengers are at fault for this stupidity . I think a lot of blame is also on the police ...time and time again you see pure and utter stupidity on the roads of d.r. and the police totally ignore what is going on .Why they don't start enforcing the laws that they have is ridiculous . Letting cars and motorbikes driver around with no lights {front or rear},windscreens you can hardly see through with the amount of cracks ,tyres with no threads .They are a danger to not only themselves but everyone else on the road.
I shudder everytime I see a couple of young children and babies being carried on these deathtraps without even a helmet .
yet time and time again you hear of some moron of a politician come up with a new law...just another one to join the list of other laws to be ignored .When you see the police and amet driving around with no helmets ,what does this say about the intelligence of these upholders of the law of the land.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Me I like the new one where the Amet Officers are now ensuring that moto's don't use the over/under passes :classic: Now of course the Amet moto is parked in the entrance to the over/under pass also sometimes the exit. but the Cop is sitting under the shade tree on the sidewalk. Like how the hell is the going to enforce this. by the time he/she gets to the bike way too late, and even if they can radio ahead the moto has already passed the other Amet.

And another non enforced law.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The driver was from Santiago and the passengers from across the river in Dajabon. I assume they were headed towards Santiago. No mention of where the upset happened so we have no idea how far they got. Stability and handling would be non-existent on two wheels. It has to be at least a 3+hour trip - an uncomfortable ride for all certainly and they had to have passed pass at least one patrol on that road at some point.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
There are Police on the road to SD ; I know because one plain clothed NP and an armed Army chap stopped me and demanded money for his Family. SO they are there, it all depends why they are there. To extort money or to enforce the law.
More than likely the former.
Once again'' education'' or the lack thereof. Five on a Moto-concho does not have any money. Two in a Toyota Corolla do have money.
All a matter of priorities.
Very sad but quite true.
"They did not get any money '' Yo no habla Spanglish''
Russell

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
As much as the driver and the passengers are at fault for this stupidity . I think a lot of blame is also on the police ...time and time again you see pure and utter stupidity on the roads of d.r. and the police totally ignore what is going on .Why they don't start enforcing the laws that they have is ridiculous . Letting cars and motorbikes driver around with no lights {front or rear},windscreens you can hardly see through with the amount of cracks ,tyres with no threads .They are a danger to not only themselves but everyone else on the road.
I shudder everytime I see a couple of young children and babies being carried on these deathtraps without even a helmet .
yet time and time again you hear of some moron of a politician come up with a new law...just another one to join the list of other laws to be ignored .When you see the police and amet driving around with no helmets ,what does this say about the intelligence of these upholders of the law of the land.

Nail on the head.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
IMHO, I don't think anyone's bad decisions should be blamed on law enforcement for not enforcing a law. People are supposed to abide by laws. Law enforcement officer primary duty is to serve and protect, with a big emphasis on "protect", as in protect one from harm of another. I'm not a cop, but i respect them from any country, corrupt or not. If they don't feel it's not a good use of their resource to pull someone over for a violation, then that is their option, policy, etc... No different than in the states where you can drive like an idiot in Miami and the cops don't care (so much). They are after drugs and serious criminal activity. Drive in Minneapolis and the cops will citation you for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

The DR police are probably underpaid and see an opportunity to get more money by extortion. Is it their fault? That's debatable. But, and a big but, it's the norm, it's their culture and their society. Same here in Haiti. Aint no-one going to change a culture overnight.

I know what you mean Russell. Locals and gringos in cars are going to get pulled over. But ask yourself if it is any cheaper to keep a vehicle in DR than in your state or country? I pay hundreds of dollars a year for stupid license plate tabs. If the licensing price in DR is lower (I don't know), then you are money ahead in that department. Driving abroad, I've always learned to give a little to the police and smile and be nice. You never know, it may be that dude who arrives when you need help. I think of it like tipping in resto. And this is my mentality as a visitor. If you live in that town where those police live, they will know who is not paying. Hell, why not give 'em a little money and remind them you care about the safety and to keep drivers from having 7 people on a moto because it's not safe. I wouldn't want to platy with that Karma.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The driver was from Santiago and the passengers from across the river in Dajabon. I assume they were headed towards Santiago. No mention of where the upset happened so we have no idea how far they got. Stability and handling would be non-existent on two wheels. It has to be at least a 3+hour trip - an uncomfortable ride for all certainly and they had to have passed pass at least one patrol on that road at some point.
and how many checkpoints???????

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Me I like the new one where the Amet Officers are now ensuring that moto's don't use the over/under passes :classic: Now of course the Amet moto is parked in the entrance to the over/under pass also sometimes the exit. but the Cop is sitting under the shade tree on the sidewalk. Like how the hell is the going to enforce this. by the time he/she gets to the bike way too late, and even if they can radio ahead the moto has already passed the other Amet.

And another non enforced law.

The last thing I want to do is defend the workings (or lack thereof) of any of the police forces but I drove to the capitol last week and both ends of Autopista Duarte had AMET with flat beds getting full of motores. For a couple of days I saw more helmeted drivers on motors than any other time in my 11 years in the country (except for a brief day in Sosua when they hide on PC and David Stern).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The last thing I want to do is defend the workings (or lack thereof) of any of the police forces but I drove to the capitol last week and both ends of Autopista Duarte had AMET with flat beds getting full of motores. For a couple of days I saw more helmeted drivers on motors than any other time in my 11 years in the country (except for a brief day in Sosua when they hide on PC and David Stern).
There is definitely progress, but no helmet will help a crash with 7 people on a moto designed for two tiny humans max.

I simply cannot wrap my head around 7 on a moto from Dajabon to Santiago.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Indeed. A fool and his money are soon departed.

It's not about foolishly giving money away, it's about paying a invisible tax. Glad a little extra police wage is not governmental and corrupt, at least you know the money goes to the cop and his or her family. IMHO

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In Sosua, currently, a portion of your goodwill gesture goes to the detachment commanders and the Col., daily.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
It's not about foolishly giving money away, it's about paying a invisible tax. Glad a little extra police wage is not governmental and corrupt, at least you know the money goes to the cop and his or her family. IMHO

OR TO THE COP AND THE COLMADO....screw the family

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
Nobodies figured out that when you live in a foreign country as a visitor, and that's what one will always be (resident stuff is foreigner tax), that you can't get by without paying the invisible taxes? DR is not USA or Canada or Europe. Dominicans pay the cops all the time. So do taxis and other local businesses. When in Rome... All in all, still cheaper than living in Miami.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Nobodies figured out that when you live in a foreign country as a visitor, and that's what one will always be (resident stuff is foreigner tax), that you can't get by without paying the invisible taxes? DR is not USA or Canada or Europe. Dominicans pay the cops all the time. So do taxis and other local businesses. When in Rome... All in all, still cheaper than living in Miami.

this has nothing to do with the stupidity of having 7 people on a moto

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
IMHO, I don't think anyone's bad decisions should be blamed on law enforcement for not enforcing a law. People are supposed to abide by laws. Law enforcement officer primary duty is to serve and protect, with a big emphasis on "protect", as in protect one from harm of another. I'm not a cop, but i respect them from any country, corrupt or not. If they don't feel it's not a good use of their resource to pull someone over for a violation, then that is their option, policy, etc... No different than in the states where you can drive like an idiot in Miami and the cops don't care (so much). They are after drugs and serious criminal activity. Drive in Minneapolis and the cops will citation you for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

The DR police are probably underpaid and see an opportunity to get more money by extortion. Is it their fault? That's debatable. But, and a big but, it's the norm, it's their culture and their society. Same here in Haiti. Aint no-one going to change a culture overnight.

I know what you mean Russell. Locals and gringos in cars are going to get pulled over. But ask yourself if it is any cheaper to keep a vehicle in DR than in your state or country? I pay hundreds of dollars a year for stupid license plate tabs. If the licensing price in DR is lower (I don't know), then you are money ahead in that department. Driving abroad, I've always learned to give a little to the police and smile and be nice. You never know, it may be that dude who arrives when you need help. I think of it like tipping in resto. And this is my mentality as a visitor. If you live in that town where those police live, they will know who is not paying. Hell, why not give 'em a little money and remind them you care about the safety and to keep drivers from having 7 people on a moto because it's not safe. I wouldn't want to platy with that Karma.

You are correct about "serve and protect, but that is their motto not their job. Their job is to enforce the laws, period. That entails serving and protecting the public. So you are partially right, but if they saw it happen and did nothing about it, then they are just as guilty as the driver.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

I don't give them sh*t. When they pull my taxi over and he turns to me for money to pay them o0ff, I give him my military ID, end of story. We are on our way. I will however, gladly buy them lunch or a beer if they start a friendly conversation. I do know that often they are placed in far away towns from their families with a very low salary. I will not support corruption, which is why I am selling all my properties and never ever live in the DR.