Ruta Turistica

Aug 21, 2007
Need to go from Sosua to a business in Santiago tomorrow. It is located about a mile north of the Hache Building. Would love to cut time and take the Ruta Turistica. Anyone traveled it lately? How bad is it these days?

Thanks-
Lindsey

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Lindsey, We went on the Ruta touristica on Saturday and there are many road works and rough patches and it is slow and rough. We only went part way but it seem there are major works on most of it. I would not go that way but go via POP to Navarette and then to Hache in Santiago

Olly and the Team

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Need to go from Sosua to a business in Santiago tomorrow. It is located about a mile north of the Hache Building. Would love to cut time and take the Ruta Turistica. Anyone traveled it lately? How bad is it these days?

Thanks-
Lindsey

It only adds about half an hour to the transit time, or did. No I haven't been on it for over a year, but from Munoz to the STI airport I found that it took right at half an hour longer going that way. Besides I have been warned that that route is haunted! I never had any problem of that nature myself, but I have been assured be several not to go that way for that reason!
Der Fish

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for your responses. I think I am going to go by Sabaneta-Jamao-Moca. I know that road well and lately, there is no traffic whatsoever. Even if it takes a little longer, there is good energy driving through those mountains.

I had hoped the Ruta Turistica would be in better shape, but since it is not, I guess I'll not take my chances, especially since I'll be driving alone.

Lindsey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for your responses. I think I am going to go by Sabaneta-Jamao-Moca. I know that road well and lately, there is no traffic whatsoever. Even if it takes a little longer, there is good energy driving through those mountains.

I had hoped the Ruta Turistica would be in better shape, but since it is not, I guess I'll not take my chances, especially since I'll be driving alone.

Lindsey

My favorite. Haven't been on the Ruta Turistica in years. A stop at La Cumbre is a must. One of these days I'm going to spend the weekend at that hotel next door.(Hotel Altos de Moca)

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My favorite. Haven't been on the Ruta Turistica in years. A stop at La Cumbre is a must. One of these days I'm going to spend the weekend at that hotel next door.(Hotel Altos de Moca)
Is La Cumbre open again? They were shut down all last winter. We had to stop at Caffeto next door for our coffee break...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Is La Cumbre open again? They were shut down all last winter. We had to stop at Caffeto next door for our coffee break...

I also think not. I am passing two to four times a week now and it is closed weekdays for sure but today (Sunday) there seemed to be some activity....but my focus was getting past a nervous expat holding up the flow!

I rarely stop on the trip over the hills.....except for a pee when in dire need...for fear of getting stuck behind a slowmo, I just passed.

Great views all the way but there is a need to concentrate when motoring and watching for those potholes and the odd drunk with a styrofoam cup of whatever as was encountered today weaving the road.

Very messy on the drive up/down from/to San Victor after rain with the roadworks...which seem to have stopped....I guess MOPC have run short of funds again.

I have always wondered if those sharp patched up steps as one rises to the top were associated with the Septentrional fault line which is more obvious to the east from satellite views. But I now think not and the fault line passes somewhere near San Victor and the road from Moca to Santiago. Maybe when MOPC get finds they may be dealt with along with a few culverts to stop the slope erosion.

It can be a tiring drive after a hard days work and no time for taking in the views.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Ruta Turistica was a nice trip back in 1983. Not now or even rather several years back and hence the alternative is far better but imperfect.

I was on Hwy 21 about 2 months ago. Wasn't too bad. Better than it's been in many years. At least all the tire destroying, wheel rim busting potholes had been filled. I have to go tomorrow. Hope it hasn't gotten worse(?).

Aug 21, 2007
I was on Hwy 21 about 2 months ago. Wasn't too bad. Better than it's been in many years. At least all the tire destroying, wheel rim busting potholes had been filled. I have to go tomorrow. Hope it hasn't gotten worse(?).

Will you give us a report after you return? I would love current information. Thanks.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If 21 is the road over the top to Moca and the Nativa station at the bottom, it is better.

Used it last week and will do so again tomorrow.
Repairs done in many places...much easier driving 

Aug 21, 2007
If 21 is the road over the top to Moca and the Nativa station at the bottom, it is better.

Used it last week and will do so again tomorrow.
Repairs done in many places...much easier driving 

Had to open a map and look.....how many times I have driven these roads, but do not know the route numbers.....now ask me what villages the road passes through and I can name them all.

It looks to me that 21 is the Sabaneta - Jamao- Moca road. And 25 is Ruta Turistica.

I travel 21 a couple of times a each week. Can almost do it blindfolded. That road is fine, aside from a little construction going after La Cumbre.

My original question was in reference to 25, which often has parts of the road completely washed out. In Santiago they told me that it is passable but rough.

Now, if anyone has traveled 25 lately, I would welcome a first hand report.

Lindsey

JimW

May 21, 2014
Hi Friends,

I did the post below back in February (2017) after taking the Ruta Turistica (also called Ruta Panoramica) from STI airport to Sosua. It's been 5 months since but at least back then, it was VERY rough and I wouldn't advise it (it took as long if not longer than just going the Navarette/POP highway)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I just got back into NYC from Santiago yesterday (2/22). I stayed in Sosua and took both roads during my stay. Here's the latest: RUTA PANORAMICA (shows on a map as "Rt 25").

It's a disaster. As the posting above noted, it's 50% severe dirt potholes and depressions. There's the one point around the Tubagua curve that the road collapsed and you have to use a makeshift bypass that's been backhoe'd out the mountain. If you're driving at night and go over the collapsed section, forget about it, you're a goner. It took me almost 2 hours to go from Santiago (the circun. highway) to Rt5 in Sosua. If you do decide to go this way, ONLY DO IT IN AN SUV. DON'T EVEN THINK OF TAKING A CAR especially if it's a rental where you could get charged for damage when you return it. There were sections in the road where even my rental Honda CRV bottomed out. I used to take that road many times in years past (I've stayed at the Tubagua Nature Lodge in the past w/ my kids) and it wasn't anywhere near as bad then as it is now. It's a disaster. Really think twice before going this option.

SECOND OPTION: From STI take the new Circunvalacion North highway a few minutes outside the airport. It's new, fast, completely modern, very little traffic because it's a toll road. I will cost you $100 pesos (about $2) but it's worth it in the time it saves (you can also go through Santiago proper but you hit all the lights, congestion etc. you lose so much time). The Circunvalacion is what we call here in the US an Interstate Outerbelt; it goes around a main city. Just take that from the airport to Rt 5 and then Rt 5 up to Puerto Plata. In years past Rt 5 used to be a problem road itself, lots of potholes but I took Rt 5 up and down three times on this trip and I can't get over how much better it is now. They've really done a lot of work on it. You probably hear about people saying it goes down to one lane at one point due to the storm etc. after the town of Imbert. Don't worry, it's a 50 foot section. Nothing to worry about, you just wait for traffic to pass. Took me three minutes to get past. Overall condition of the road is very good. It will take you right into Puerto Plata (and beyond to Sosua/Cabarete if those are your final destinations). If you take this route you don't need an SUV and you'll be fine just renting a car at STI for the whole trip. Hope this helps anyone traveling in the near future.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
respect to those who take that road. i hate it with passion because it makes me really, really sick. i have motion disease and get nausea even on regular highway. curvy mountain road make me puke my guts out. even if they fix it top notch i never ever want to go there again.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Very messy on the drive up/down from/to San Victor after rain with the roadworks...which seem to have stopped....I guess MOPC have run short of funds again.

I have always wondered if those sharp patched up steps as one rises to the top were associated with the Septentrional fault line which is more obvious to the east from satellite views. But I now think not and the fault line passes somewhere near San Victor and the road from Moca to Santiago. Maybe when MOPC get finds they may be dealt with along with a few culverts to stop the slope erosion.
Try that road in the rain...on a motorcycle.

Those fault lines can get squirrely...