Bribing is the norm - Pay or Don't play

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
I was digging around looking for some information of arriving to the DR by sail boat and came across something I found interesting in several ways....

If you plan to enter the DR by boat, here are the entry procedures:

- Fly a quarantine flag (Q) in a visible place on approach and wait for boarding.
- Passengers must pay fees, obtain tourist cards, and produce appropriate passports and papers.
- Passengers must sometimes be cleared by military commanders in the port.
- Firearms must be accompanied by proof of ownership.
- Customs officials will often request a small gift upon completion of inspection.

1. I find it interesting it's easy to have your firearm along, just have the paperwork and...
2. Custom officials request a "small gift". Call it what you want, it's a bribe for expedited customs. I can bet if you don't pay, you will be artificially delayed. I'm sure it would take whoever handles rover the drug dog, a few hours to get to the marina and sniff entire boat, including your crotch.

I know this is not an official government website, but I'm sure it's safe to bet these are the official procedures to enter via nautical means.

Source: http://caribya.com/dominican.republic/sailing.and.boating/

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Declared firearms are supposed to confiscated and held for the duration you are in port. The importation of firearms by transients is not permitted under any circumstances and anyone without a license for a particular firearm (which is everyone arriving in this country) are not permitted to be in possession of a firearm while not "under sail." Undeclared firearms if discovered are forfeited and the owner is subject to criminal charges. Anything other than a shotgun is a tempting target for theft as is a larger than expected amount of ammunition for any firearm. Rifles of any caliber and pistols other than small caliber (usually 9mm max) are prohibited.

No doubt that convenience fees grease the workings at the ports for arriving and departing boaters. If you are not in a rush these fees upon arrival are quite low and not usually required. Where they get you is upon departure, when the officials know that you want to depart with the tide or before an approaching weather front arrives. Remain nonchalant, appear super flexible with respect to time. The predatory nature of inducements dictates that the pressure is ramped up when it appears likely that such pressure will be effective in producing the desired result.

To pay or not to pay an extra fee over and above those published is a personal decision that one has to make at the time. Boaters are supposed to be permitted to refuel and immediately depart without having to clear customs but all boats in territorial waters are subject to search at anytime. The only difference, is the onus to submit a formal customs declaration.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I've departed from Las Galeras, Punta Cana and POP by boat and in all cases "gifts" were necessary to expedite the very tedious process and paperwork. In Las Galeras the commander did not have the forms to fill out and I had to send someone to the local print shop to buy the forms along with carbon paper so they could create copies. They said they were temporarily out but locals told me they were alwaysssss temporarily out and used all the local fishermen to keep the forms coming. What a pain in the butt and always makes me long for the way it is in the U.S. where you just hop in your boat and go. Don't have to ask permission and don't need to fill out a single stupid form. One of the many nuisances of the DR, but I still love it here!!!

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I rather pay here in Rd than legally in the New York where a simple talking on your cell phone will cost you at least $300... here its 200 pesos...

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
If this is the norm with customs, does the mentality/practice transfer to all officer in authority, like Police, Gov officials, etc...

Would like to hear from someone on here who grew up in DR too.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I was digging around looking for some information of arriving to the DR by sail boat and came across something I found interesting in several ways....

- Fly a quarantine flag (Q) in a visible place on approach and wait for boarding.
- Passengers must pay fees, obtain tourist cards, and produce appropriate passports and papers.
- Customs officials will often request a small gift upon completion of inspection.

1. I find it interesting it's easy to have your firearm along, just have the paperwork and...
2. Custom officials request a "small gift". Call it what you want, it's a bribe for expedited customs. I can bet if you don't pay, you will be artificially delayed. I'm sure it would take whoever handles rover the drug dog, a few hours to get to the marina and sniff entire boat, including your crotch.

I know this is not an official government website, but I'm sure it's safe to bet these are the official procedures to enter via nautical means.

Is there a reason why you not want to arrive with a regular flight? Maybe easier.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If this is the norm with customs, does the mentality/practice transfer to all officer in authority, like Police, Gov officials, etc...

Would like to hear from someone on here who grew up in DR too.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Not 100%, but too high for comfort.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is there a reason why you not want to arrive with a regular flight? Maybe easier.

Maybe he owns a boat?

BUZZ65 --- As for payoffs and bribery, one need only study the Obedbrecht and Super Tucanos cases currently being prosecuted. The bribes are all the way from the top to the bottom in the DR. I did not have to grow up here to see how much this happens. As AE says, not 100% but VERY often.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Have a neighbor that after missing a few small items , in the front of his house at night...you are stupid to leave anything outside all night here... had the bright idea to talk to the local police(pn) and have them pay attention to his house on their now all night patrols, and he gave them 2 hundred pesos.... now they ring his front bell every week for the 2 hundred pesos......Doc.....

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

And such may be the entry into a DR port.
World cruisers on extended years long voyages are aware of customs in the Caribbean, South Pacific,Asia, Asia Minor.
They adjust to customs, Pirates and inconveniences.
The DR is welcoming and benign in comparison to other countries cruising.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I rather pay here in Rd than legally in the New York where a simple talking on your cell phone will cost you at least $300... here its 200 pesos...

And be careful, sometimes they call talking on the hands free....talking on the phone...

And ticket you.... seen it happen

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Have a neighbor that after missing a few small items , in the front of his house at night...you are stupid to leave anything outside all night here... had the bright idea to talk to the local police(pn) and have them pay attention to his house on their now all night patrols, and he gave them 2 hundred pesos.... now they ring his front bell every week for the 2 hundred pesos......Doc.....

And has anything be stolen?
If not, cheaper and more effective than any dog or alarm system.
They may beat the ladrones for an extra 1000.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

Shiiiittt Doc 4 bucks a week police protection ..hmmmm;)

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017

ADT for $100/month and annual contract in Miami can have the cops to my house within 15 minutes...... or so.

I'd take that services and a face to face every week for 200 pesos anytime. Have a beer and chit chat, find out what crime is happening etc... Golden servcie

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'd take that services and a face to face every week for 200 pesos anytime. Have a beer and chit chat, find out what crime is happening etc... Golden servcie

This comment speaks volumes. Never invite the devil into your home.
The police in this country often work hand in hand with the local criminals.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cristo... get this..

At Navidad the police visit my friend asking if everything is OK....Navidad remember 

He says fine, just great, thanks for your help... shakes their hand and shows them out the gate.

Few days later....
He's robbed.....

Goes to police.. who stare first, then offer to help

2,000 pesos later , his stuff gets returned 

Would have 500 or so if he had coughed up initially 

Coincidences abound ,huh ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Putting any sort of faith or trust and having any sort of ongoing expectations in a person who you know to be corrupt is unwise. A crook willing to advance themselves at the expense of someone else is the worst kind of criminal. A "breach of trust" offense is indicative of a significant character flaw.

You can get into a fight in a bar, be convicted of manslaughter, go to jail and still stand a better change of being trusted again than does a person who steals or abuses their position. Soliciting a bribe is a crime. Those willing to temper the reality by calling it an "invisible tax", "the cost of doing business" are doing so for their own piece of mind. A crime is being committed against you when an official expects a gift and if you pay it you accept being a victim. Guaranteed the next time you have cause to deal with this official, another gift will be expected.

It's wrong for officials to accept payments and its just wrong to make these payments. When a scam works without repercussion, everyone does it and nothing ever gets better. It may seem you are further ahead afterwards, but really you within the larger picture, you are worse off.

People can do what they want though. There is something wrong with being aghast when it happens at home, but for some reason it's ok when it happens here. I don't get it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Cristo... get this..

At Navidad the police visit my friend asking if everything is OK....Navidad remember 

He says fine, just great, thanks for your help... shakes their hand and shows them out the gate.

Few days later....
He's robbed.....

Goes to police.. who stare first, then offer to help

2,000 pesos later , his stuff gets returned 

Would have 500 or so if he had coughed up initially 

Coincidences abound ,huh ?

Where I live they are very dirty and they openly operate like a gang of thugs.
I avoid them at all cost.