Migas? Ants? Whatever you call them

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I have had ongoing problem with tiny tiny ants that seem to appear out of nowhere like magic.  Have had two different (seemingly incompetent ) fumigators come to home.  Next day still there.  They are in apartment mainly in kitchen area, but show up on dining g table, sometimes notice them in living room. They can be on top of stove. Literally one second not there, blink they are around. Any suggestions? Or any recommendations for fumigator you may have used in PC area near PC village? It is really driving us crazy. And the 2 guys we used were in and out in maybe 10-15 minutes.  
Help.  Thanks in advance.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Fumigation is effective against larger creepy crawlies but will only do so much to eliminate hormigas (ants). We have the same problem - they are devilishly difficult to prevent, but the problem can be minimised by keeping surfaces clear of migas (crumbs).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have had ongoing problem with tiny tiny ants that seem to appear out of nowhere like magic.  Have had two different (seemingly incompetent ) fumigators come to home.  Next day still there.  They are in apartment mainly in kitchen area, but show up on dining g table, sometimes notice them in living room. They can be on top of stove. Literally one second not there, blink they are around. Any suggestions? Or any recommendations for fumigator you may have used in PC area near PC village? It is really driving us crazy. And the 2 guys we used were in and out in maybe 10-15 minutes.  

These are what we call sugar ants. They will find any food source that they can get at. Buy simple ant traps, at the hardware store, which the ants will go at and bring the poison back to the nest. This will control them.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I can relate to this problem. I thought the ants were taking over the island and I lived on the 4th floor. The ants are plentiful around the grounds. They will find a way into apartments at lightning speed! Keep outside areas clean and fumigated regularly.
 Inside clean surfaces, counters,stove,table, floor of all grease, crumbs and sugar. Keep food in a sealed container.Remove garbage, especially food scraps from cooking daily. It is a daily struggle for sure. I did manage to control them to a minimal level.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
These are what we call sugar ants. They will find any food source that they can get at. Buy simple ant traps, at the hardware store, which the ants will go at and bring the poison back to the nest. This will control them.

Thanks LT.  I will try your suggestion.  Get to a ferreteria and load up on traps. So frustrating And disgusting.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I can relate to this problem. I thought the ants were taking over the island and I lived on the 4th floor. The ants are plentiful around the grounds. They will find a way into apartments at lightning speed! Keep outside areas clean and fumigated regularly.
 Inside clean surfaces, counters,stove,table, floor of all grease, crumbs and sugar. Keep food in a sealed container.Remove garbage, especially food scraps from cooking daily. It is a daily struggle for sure. I did manage to control them to a minimal level.

Thanks Dulce.  Have tried keeping clean clean clean. I Use disinfectant wipes too around countertops.  They just appear.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks LT.  I will try your suggestion.  Get to a ferreteria and load up on traps. So frustrating And disgusting.

Traps alone will not get rid of them AND keep them away. Unfortunately it takes a lot of work to keep them under control.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Dulce.  Have tried keeping clean clean clean. I Use disinfectant wipes too around countertops.  They just appear.

I feel your pain. Must be why most people have maids constantly cleaning for them.  lol

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Fumigation is effective against larger creepy crawlies but will only do so much to eliminate hormigas (ants). We have the same problem - they are devilishly difficult to prevent, but the problem can be minimised by keeping surfaces clear of migas (crumbs).

Thank you.  I will keep forging on.  Yuk.  And when guests come it is even more aggravating. 

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
If you live in SD i might be alble to help you.

I had the same problem for years. Most of the fumigators spray totally useless s... Finally i found one that solved the problem. Almost 6 month without a single ant. This guy works only in the SD area. Let me know if you need his contact details.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Agree. We found that wiping counters with some disinfectant (we use a pine-scented bulk brand from PS similar to Pine Sol) in water keep ants and flies away. Simple solution.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I had the same problem for years. Most of the fumigators spray totally useless s... Finally i found one that solved the problem. Almost 6 month without a single ant. This guy works only in the SD area. Let me know if you need his contact details.

Wish I lived near "your person"!  Thank you😀

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Try blowing boric acid powder or diatomaceous earth dust on the surfaces where you see them working, with a bellows duster.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE bought something from the local ferreteria, a few pesos, put it down in the corner of the room, and within 24 hours they lessened and in another day they were gone. It came in a little plastic bag, looked like sugar, probably was [with poison on it]. It was a couple of months before we saw them again, rinse and repeat.

Needless to say, has to be in a place inaccessible to pets.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Wash all the time with bleach and water.... Or, much simpler, get yourself 1 or 2 cats.... I think my cats eat the ants for desert.... I see a couple of ants and then POOFF, they're gone... And the cats look happy...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Wash all the time with bleach and water.... Or, much simpler, get yourself 1 or 2 cats.... I think my cats eat the ants for desert.... I see a couple of ants and then POOFF, they're gone... And the cats look happy...

MY Dominican lady made sure we had a couple of those Little lizards in the house. They stand there and lick them suckers up, no matter how small or big the ants are, and the ants don'y have any sense of fear even seeing the others in their line being snapped up they don't try to disperse that I can tell.
Der Fish

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know where you live, but if you are anywhere near Sosua they have a great product at the Playero supermarket which has almost completely eliminated them for me. Unfortunately, I don't know what it is called because all the writing on the pack is in Chinese. When you see the ants, you open a sachet of the product and pour some where you see the ants. They soon gather around and start taking the stuff back to the nest and it appears to kill them all off. I used to have a big ant problem in the small apartment building that I have, but now we rarely see any at all.

As I said, I have only seen the product at Playero, but I am sure it is sold in other places as well.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
MY Dominican lady made sure we had a couple of those Little lizards in the house. They stand there and lick them suckers up, no matter how small or big the ants are, and the ants don'y have any sense of fear even seeing the others in their line being snapped up they don't try to disperse that I can tell.
Der Fish

The problem with those little lizards is that they crap all over the place!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unfortunately, I don't know what it is called because all the writing on the pack is in Chinese.

I think I've seen what you are referring to. Next time you are there, if you think of it, play the hapless tourist and take a photo please.

Thx.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Mr. AE bought something from the local ferreteria, a few pesos, put it down in the corner of the room, and within 24 hours they lessened and in another day they were gone. It came in a little plastic bag, looked like sugar, probably was [with poison on it]. It was a couple of months before we saw them again, rinse and repeat.

Needless to say, has to be in a place inaccessible to pets.

Do you have the name of the product? We do not have any yet since we moved. But I want to be prepared for the onslaught... :rambo: