Anyone familiar with a community in Verón PC Ciudad del Sol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
     Hey guys! I would like to know if anyone has any info in an area known as Ciudad del Sol in Verón Punta Cana? It is a community similar to Pueblo Bavaro, but much newer and cleaner.  I'm interested in perhaps purchasing an apartment in the community, but seen as how Pueblo Bavaro started off as a great community and later on detiorated somewhat, I'm skeptical of investing in real estate in D.R. The constant scams and corruptions Cases I read about in the local newspapers does not excite me about investing.

I figured the forum would be a good place to get advice.  As an American I like to be thorough about investing my money, which seems to be not a good trait surprisingly to my Dominican girlfriend, she says I need to much before investing.  When did doing your homework become such a bad thing? I simply explained to her that making an informed desicion is the good old American away in order to avoid the old: A fool and his money shall soon part! There is also land plots for sale for about $5,000 to 10,000 U.S. In another undeveloped area in Bavaro which she says she could probably get financing for, but wants me to invest with her.  She says that on a $5,000 plot, financing would work out to be about $150.00 U.S. Monthly for 8 years, but seen that we are not married and she would be the one qualifying for the financing, how would I fit into this deal if we decide to purchase together?
      I don't want to be on the hook for something that if we break up or loses her job will come back to bite me or completely pay for and then have to share.  We have been together 5 years, but simply don't feel comfortable doing these types of deals when there are so many unknowns. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
     Hey guys! I would like to know if anyone has any info in an area known as Ciudad del Sol in Verón Punta Cana? It is a community similar to Pueblo Bavaro, but much newer and cleaner.  I'm interested in perhaps purchasing an apartment in the community, but seen as how Pueblo Bavaro started off as a great community and later on detiorated somewhat, I'm skeptical of investing in real estate in D.R. The constant scams and corruptions Cases I read about in the local newspapers does not excite me about investing.

I figured the forum would be a good place to get advice.  As an American I like to be thorough about investing my money, which seems to be not a good trait surprisingly to my Dominican girlfriend, she says I need to much before investing.  When did doing your homework become such a bad thing? I simply explained to her that making an informed desicion is the good old American away in order to avoid the old: A fool and his money shall soon part! There is also land plots for sale for about $5,000 to 10,000 U.S. In another undeveloped area in Bavaro which she says she could probably get financing for, but wants me to invest with her.  She says that on a $5,000 plot, financing would work out to be about $150.00 U.S. Monthly for 8 years, but seen that we are not married and she would be the one qualifying for the financing, how would I fit into this deal if we decide to purchase together?
      I don't want to be on the hook for something that if we break up or loses her job will come back to bite me or completely pay for and then have to share.  We have been together 5 years, but simply don't feel comfortable doing these types of deals when there are so many unknowns. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Run while you can, others will chime in and explain!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Run while you can, others will chime in and explain!

i second the emotion. it would take the rest of the year to explain why this is a really, really, bad idea.

there is a 1 in 10 million chance it will turn out well.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Are you crazy or just dumb? Of course she would like you to invest in property and include her name on it. She can then give you the boot and take the property. Do not invest with her and have her name on the title. It will create a legal nightmare for you. If you have the impression that she wants you to dive head first into this than that should tell you she has bigger plans which probably don't include you. Five years should give you an exact idea of what type of person she is but it sounds like you are unsure. That is not good. You are not in the DR and buying a plot of land is really a worthless idea, especially if it is located in an undeveloped area is not a good idea. Are you living in the DR or are you in the States? Many unanswered questions?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It is a good thing you are asking on the forum as part of your due diligence. That old saying you quoted about a fool and his money soon parted is truer in the DR than in any other country I have been. Other members here will give you more specific advice. Please listen and continue to be diligent before committing to anything.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ciudad del Sol is right smack in the middle of Veron. Veron is where you'll find some of the poorest people in the area as well as most of the criminals (not saying it's rampant but that's where they usually catch the bands). It's also an area with a lot of uncontrolled traffic. Veron and Hoyo de Friusa are probably the last 2 places I would chose to live in in this area. If you're really looking to buy in this area, I would suggest Ciudad La Palma.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
When I was in Higuey in April, the landlord of the apartment building I stayed at told me that the only safe place for money in LRD is in apartments. He bought that lot and built a three story apartment on it, and was looking to do it again. Many of the tenants had relatives from El Seibo and points west sleeping in the kitchen while they were working a hitch in Punta Cana. Being as how Verón is much closer to the beach than Higuey, I would expect that apartments there might be a good investment also. If you want to do that kind of work.

As far as the girlfriend is concerned I’m not so sure. You’ve been with her five years, but not married. There must be a reason for that. A better idea than investing in real estate with her jointly would be to just give her the money she needs for the down payment, and see what happens. If she buys and improves a lot, and she still wants you, she might be a keeper. If not. Well that’s up to you, but you just got some very valuable information very cheaply. Just let her know up front that you're not going to be paying for the improvements.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When you say you've been together for five years, does that mean you live here with her all that time?  Or do you live elsewhere and visit?

Either way, please heed the excellent advice you've been given. 

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Earth to Superpana run for the hills she is setting you up. further more you can put the land in your name... kick this lady to the curb.. she is malo...

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Seeking advice on this forum before you part with your money is a good move ... 

1. Invest with her ? Why ? There are actually many stories like yours in that same community where the gringo lost a lot of money and the girlfriend/wife ended up with the fully paid house , so tread carefully . If you are going to be the one parting with most , if not all of the money - then ask yourself - is she investing or fleecing ?  

2. If you choose not to " run" like most have suggested so far - then the next best thing would be to rent a place on your own for a while to see how things really work in DR. Time will shed light to all doubts and  give you all the answers you need . 

3. Investing ? There is a saying - the best way to leave here with $1m is to come with $2m , lose $1m and go home .  

4. You seem to be asking the right questions so go with your instincts !!  

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My advice would be if you can't do it yourself then do not do it. As for the gf, well as others have said you seem unsure about her so why even entertain the thought of investing with her. Bad idea, very bad idea.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
just wait tell she gets that land she may have him wack..I bet dollars to donuts she has a Dominican boyfriend...

Being cautious is good advice, but since you don't personally know this women, and nothing the OP has said indicates that she is dangerous you are presuming too much.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
My gf asked me to rent a condo full time in Bavaro (I go there often), so that she could go there on occasion (from SD), and bring the family. I simply blew her off, and the subject never came up again. I find that Dominican women forget things quickly.
You state that you've been with her 5 years; is this full time, or do you visit?
In any case, follow the advise of previous posters. and for God's sake, don't put your name on anything of a legal nature in the DR.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
One other way to look at it is that any investment you make will simply be a gift.  You will never see your money again.  As long as this is your expectation, you lose nothing - in terms of money.  Enjoy the ride.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I agree with all the above, good sound advise.
But only if you are thinking with the 'head' on your shoulders .
On the other hand if you have a lot of money ; just invest that amount with her that you are prepared to loose.
Then roll the dice.
Kenny Rogers said in "the gambler'' 'you gotta know when to hold them, when to fold them ,when to walk away, when to run'.
Like RV429 said ''Run'',,, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.