Spanish accents- words, expressions- Language challenge

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I came across this video and thought it was a fun exercise and opportunity to see how many accents, words and expressions I can recognize.

As we all know, the Spanish-speaking world is vast and I don't believe in limiting yourself to one accent. In my opinion, the sky is the limit when it comes to Spanish. The more exposure you have the better it is for you from a linguistic perspective. You will increase your vocabulary tremendously, gain more exposure to regional differences, and out from this exposure feel more comfortable speaking Spanish with anyone in the Spanish-speaking world. As I keep saying in many of my posts the more knowledge you have the better it is. In my opinion, being rich in a language is a gift, una bendición, la verdad que sí.

I did the test twice and got two wrong. The same two both times. Otherwise, I cruised through the examples.

The Dominican example you should all get as well as quite a few others but I won't say which ones yet just to give people who will do the test a chance to look at the video.

In this video, many of the expressions are a give away and accents too in some cases.

[video=youtube;6CupGY6QM6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CupGY6QM6A&sns=em[/video]

What do you find interesting, difficult, fun about accents in the Spanish-speaking world?

-MP.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I thought I was acing it until around halfway through and I guessed three wrong. There were other clues - visual as well as expressions - along with the accents.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I couldn't listen that fast to understand even half of that. But my favorite is chuncha. Meaning any thing. La chuncha esa. That thing. Nicaragua and Guatemala. Maybe Honduras also.
Der Fish

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I thought I was acing it until around halfway through and I guessed three wrong. There were other clues - visual as well as expressions - along with the accents.

I hear you. There are few there that you can use different clues to get the right answer. Either the expressions, the word, the accent, etc. A few I had not heard before but by process of elimination I got it. I find the accent of the host is quite interesting. Spanish accents from Spain can be a challenge but his accent was quite clear to me and comparable to some in South America believe it or not.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I couldn't listen that fast to understand even half of that. But my favorite is chuncha. Meaning any thing. La chuncha esa. That thing. Nicaragua and Guatemala. Maybe Honduras also.
Der Fish

Actually, it's chunche.

Apparently, very Nicaraguan but also heard in other parts of Central America.

-MP.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
One of my favorite accents is from Argentina. One of my least favorites is from Spain. Can't stand a full movie dubbed in Spanish from Spain.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Well, in my opinion, when it comes to Spanish, there's nothing better than Trompo Loco's accent:

A volar... que'r sor cambea

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
One of my favorite accents is from Argentina. One of my least favorites is from Spain. Can't stand a full movie dubbed in Spanish from Spain.

I have not had a lot exposure to the accents of Spain in general but whenever I hear it it stands out to me. Lately, I have been making sure I watch the news from Spain (TVE) on the weekends and the accent is neutral enough but notably from Spain. I find I don't like the accent from Madrid. I think I would feel the same way you do and not endure a movie in Spanish from Spain. 

I like the accents of South America specifically Venezuela, Colombia, Uruguay and Argentina. As well, the Carribean and Carribean basin countries including Costa Rica. My least favourite are Central American accents excluding Costa Rica and Panama.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Well, in my opinion, when it comes to Spanish, there's nothing better than Trompo Loco's accent:

A volar... que'r sor cambea

A translation please. I have no clue what you or Trompo are saying. 

No tengo la menor idea.

-MP.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
A translation please. I have no clue what you or Trompo are saying. 

No tengo la menor idea.

-MP.

It's obvious that Trompo Loco is an educated man, but some people think that he ridicules the way campesinos and sureños speak. I think he's a ton of fun.

For the non-initiated in Dominicanese, he's one-part Mighty Carson Art Players, 3/4 King of the Hill's Boomhauer, sprinkled with a dash of Luciferian formality.

Youtubéenlo y denle LARRR: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trompo+loco

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It's obvious that Trompo Loco is an educated man, but some people think that he ridicules the way campesinos and sureños speak. I think he's a ton of fun.

For the non-initiated in Dominicanese, he's one-part Mighty Carson Art Players, 3/4 King of the Hill's Boomhauer, sprinkled with a dash of Luciferian formality.

Youtubéenlo y denle LARRR: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trompo+loco

Bueno es algo diferente. A cada cual lo suyo.

Gracias.

-MP.