CITIZENSHIP THROUGH MARRIAGE -MEN UPDATE ON EXTRA REQUIREMENTS

Moro

Jul 28, 2017
Saludos,

Last week I went to apply for Dominican Citizenship through marriage with all the required documents listed on the website of 'Ministerio de Interior y Policia' however now they are requiring more documents. I was very disappointed because I travelled all the way from Santiago. Please find below the extra documents that are now required alongside the existing documents.

EXTRA REQUIREMENTS:
1) COPY OF PASSPORT - complete copy of your passport in color. The passport must have a minimum of 1 year validity left.

2) IMMIGRATION CERTIFICATE OF MOVEMENT – Apply online through the DGM website for ‘Certificacion de movimientos’ to prove your movement in and out of the country.

3) NOTARIAL DECLARATION OF RESIDENCE – You must sign a declaration of residence in the DR in the presence of 3 witnesses of Dominican origin. Then it must be legalized in the procuraduria general. It must also be accompanied by copies of the cedulas of each witness in colour. The declaration must be made on notarial paper size 8 ½ x 14. ( You need a copy of the exact wording from the ministerio de interior y policia) p.s I have a copy and I will try my best to find a way of posting a picture of it.

4) NOTORIZED GARANTOR LETTER – Your wife must sign a garantor letter with a Notary public to declare responsibility economically, morally and repatriation if it neccessary. This document must also be legalized by the procuraduria general. The letter must be made on notarial paper size 8 ½ x 14. ( You need a copy of the exact wording from the ministerio de interior y policia) p.s I have a copy and I will try my best to find a way of posting a picture of it.

5) PROOF OF EMPLOYMENT - Both you and your spouse must provide a letter to prove employment. A letter to the Ministerio de interior y policia from your workplace detailing your position and salary. The letter should include the company stamp, address, RNC and contact details.

6) PROOF OF BANK ACCOUNT - Both you and your spouse must provide a letter from the bank confirming; Account number, type of account, the account balance and if applicable the average balance. P.s some banks have the average balance information as standard practice however some banks don’t provide this.

7) POLICE CERTIFICATE OF NO CRIMINAL RECORD – Both you and your spouse must provide a police certificate issued in the Dominican Republic with a minimum of 3 months vadility. – The purchase of this certificate must be made in Banreserva with both of your cedulas with a price tag of 600pesos each. You then must apply online at (servicios.pgr.gob.do/servicios_en_linea/inicio/procesar). This document DOES NOT need to be legalized in the procuraduria. It should be made available to print immediately online and already legalized.

kind regards

El Moro,

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Very useful thanks. I have been in progress for nearly years. Passed the interview in March 2015. Then waited for the Interpol report and waited and waited. Solved that problem by getting a police report from home country (where I have not lived for 17 years), and a buena conducta from here. Now they are checking my file - and have been for 2 months. No doubt they will now ask for this new list. Deep joy not.

Matilda

Moro

Jul 28, 2017
Hey Matilda,

Hope all is well,

I had read some of your posts and took your advice on providing a police report from the U.K to avoid the Interpol issue, Many thanks.

In my personal opinion I find some of these documents irrelevant and a pain in the behind for example in my case I have insurance issued by PATRIA that covers repatriation following my residency renewal and on top of that my spouse already signed a garantor letter last year for the same exact thing.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
A total pain, and they change on a daily basis, and adds more expense (via notaries) to what seemed to be a relatively simple and inexpensive process. Will see what they ask me for now lol. Thanks again, information like this is very useful to those going through the process.

Matilda

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Same here. Citizenship file has been in and out because of new requisitos. I'm married to a Dominican man for 31 years and the MIP has asked me (over and above all the items mentioned by Moro) for proof of solvency because I'm retired. That means a lot of sh&#% headaches... Requested by the Dominican consulate in Montreal: my original pension letter with notary assermentation, approved by the Chamber of notaries, then the Consulate will stamp. Also bank ref. letter to confirm how much I have in my dominican accounts. All this is going back to the MIP in August. Please wish me luck... if this time, they come back with more requests, I will just tell them to shove it. 😊 And of course since I was in Canada, I got another RCMP report... in case.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
None of this seems worth it. Whats the benefit?

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Well if you are married to a Dominican and have joint property the inheritance issues are much easy to sort out, you have better standing in a court of law if you are a citizen, you can vote....etc. In my case I am a partner in a corporation, own several homes plus land....etc.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Very useful thanks. I have been in progress for nearly years. Passed the interview in March 2015. Then waited for the Interpol report and waited and waited. Solved that problem by getting a police report from home country (where I have not lived for 17 years), and a buena conducta from here. Now they are checking my file - and have been for 2 months. No doubt they will now ask for this new list. Deep joy not.

Matilda
What kind of report? From a local police agency? The national agency? Apostilled?

My next step is an FBI report but I am hearing that takes literally years. I hope for an alternative.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I am about to start the process in October.
What a maze!!
I think I will employ Gauzman to do the work for me..... I just do not have the patience for more Government hassles.
Thanks for the update. I also have several properties and two businesses in RD.Thanks for the update; keep us posted on your progress , good or bad. I inadvertently clicked dislike...not so... likes very much.
Russell

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
What kind of report? From a local police agency? The national agency? Apostilled?

My next step is an FBI report but I am hearing that takes literally years. I hope for an alternative.

National Police in the UK. Apostilled yes, translated yes, pain in butt yes. Handed it in to them as still (supposedly) waiting for Interpol and this (supposedly) replaces Interpol. 24 hours later they say they have Interpol report!!! There is no alternative CB. You have to have an international police report - either Interpol (who it appears they never ask) or your home country. Plus a buena conducta from here which is easy. Then all the news things they have thought of while your file sits on a desk gathering dust.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From the latest set of requirements, it went from fairly easy to probably not going to do it.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
From the latest set of requirements, it went from fairly easy to probably not going to do it.

Whether CCCris Colon was married 10 years or not, he clearly understood how things work (don't work) in DR and predicted all of this down to the T.

It is what many of us stated here during the hysteria over nothing.

There are two golden rules in DR.

1. Don't do anything-or if you do plan on doing something-never begin the process until things are crystal clear-almost impossible, but nonetheless.

2. Just don't pay-there is no clearer way to interrupt and/or get to the bottom of corruption here by cutting off the funds. See the reality of whom you are dealing with-whether they are legitimate or have no legal foundation whatsoever. '

This country is far from easy in just about every aspect of life. Even making payments for bills can be a hassle-LOL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In my case, it isn't exactly over nothing. Most importantly for me, If I have no legal residency in the DR, I have no ability to get a driver's license, which I feel is important to have. Especially when renting a car out of the DR. I am not sure how CC dealt with that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Me either. Not worth the aggravation. The last time I started getting all the paperwork, I had almost everything, except the blasted apostile from Albany on my birth certificate didn't arrive before our flight. We came back to the US 4 months later, and all the documents I had paid for, gotten apostiles for, etc., were useless because of DR's ridiculous 6 month rule.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Me either. Not worth the aggravation. The last time I started getting all the paperwork, I had almost everything, except the blasted apostile from Albany on my birth certificate didn't arrive before our flight. We came back to the US 4 months later, and all the documents I had paid for, gotten apostiles for, etc., were useless because of DR's ridiculous 6 month rule.

As if a birth certificate expires..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One of my favorite annoyances is: The file is in process so long (and they are tired of telling you to check back in a few weeks), they tell you that a document in that file is now no good because it is too old - a good excuse to place your file in a drawer and forget about it.

Well it wasn't too old when I submitted it and the office accepted it. Arghhh!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Actually it sounds like your problem was slow delivery from American aurhorities that caused your problem.