Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A little levity, this made me laugh

[video=youtube_share;0BZVU0CRCqU]https://youtu.be/0BZVU0CRCqU[/video]

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Muy chulo el video.

Dicen en el video que la palabra vaina es dominicana hasta la tambora.

Other Spanish-speaking countries have a word or expression that is used for everything and the word can range from being casual to being really offensive. A couple come to mind right now in the two other Caribbean Spanish-speaking nations.

-MP.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Last evening, I was having a conversation about our favorite word. Seriously.

Vaina is a sheath, a covering of sort, as in habichuelas y frijoles, or knives and blades... scabbard.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Other words include chunche, as mentioned in the other recent thread, and volao, both in Central America.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Other words include chunche, as mentioned in the other recent thread, and volao, both in Central America.

Here in Panama I hear vaina a lot, but am interacting with Colombians and Venezuelans a lot mor than Panamaniacs. Another cuteone among this crowd is pelicula. Used as in "tell me your sad story." Digame la pelicula pescado.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I think cono is the most frequently word in the DR. She used it more than the word vaina in this video. :p

Aug 6, 2006
Here in Panama I hear vaina a lot, but am interacting with Colombians and Venezuelans a lot mor than Panamaniacs. Another cuteone among this crowd is pelicula. Used as in "tell me your sad story." Digame la pelicula pescado.

¿Película pesada o película pescada? I find Película pescado less likely. ¿Dónde está le concordancia?

Vaina is, among other things, a vanilla pod.

Aug 6, 2006
I think cono is the most frequently word in the DR. She used it more than the word vaina in this video. :p

Coño is probably used more.

My Mexican friends from Sonora and Chihuahua were fond of the exclamation ¡Anda la verga!, which is rather obscene, and which I never heard in Mexico City. But it was used as Dominicansm at least Domincan men, say ¡Coño!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Every language has them. In English - thingy, stuff, sh¡t, thingamajig, etc.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Vaina is used when they have no clue about the correct word.
It's the result of the absence of education, very sad.
Yes and no. It depends on the speaker. If you are speaking to a person with little to no education and that is the greater part of his or her vocabulary then yes. However, many who have an average to above average vocabulary use it with the meaning of it being a filler for a word they don't know. In general, I agree with what you are saying and there is a social context with the usage and parameters.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The ultra Cuban utility word is pinga. While some of you may know its base meaning, it is also used in several other contexts ranging from being very offensive to describing something good/ great. Imagine that one word has so many contexts. Pinga pa' to. Hasta comepinga se dice en Cuba. Words like this you need to know and understand. You need to know if you are being insulted. Look at this video for the usage and meaning.

[video=youtube;a2gqDBwxAEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2gqDBwxAEk[/video]

-MP.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
While coño is more common, vaina is more versatile:

¡Diablo, mi loco, me salió una vaina en el ombligo!

¿Tú oí'te la vaina que le dijo Bla' Peralta a Nuria?

Lo chino son una vaina: esa gente inventan to'... TO': Role, remolacha, arró' plá'tico...

Oye, Recobeca, pásame esa vaina que 'tá encima 'e la mesa.

Mira, mi'jo, por aquí vino e'te muchacho bu'cándote: di'que que tú le debe una vaina, y necesita que le pague ya mi'mo.

"¿Quién tú dice?"

E'te muchacho... vainita, el hijo e' Ma' Chepa.

However, coño can also be used to express anger and, just like the word 'diablo,' it can be used to express extremes, surprise, etc...

¡COÑO, CARAJO, ha'ta en Sri Lanka 'tán cantando "De'pacito."

¡Australia 'tá má' lejo que'l coño!

And here's my inner Júnot Díaz:

Yo le MIENTO la madre a to' el que diga que viva Trujillo.

"¿En serio? ¡Que viva Trujillo!"

¡EL COÑO 'E TU MADRE!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
How about Car wash. Like blue jeans it is taken directly from English, but why? Aren't the words Lavado de carros o coches enuff?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
How about Car wash. Like blue jeans it is taken directly from English, but why? Aren't the words Lavado de carros o coches enuff?

Blue jeans have come a long way in the D.R.

From "pantalones de fuerte Azul" (denim), to Rodeo (pronounced 'ro-deh-oh'), which was a popular brand; and via Puerto Rico (since we're copiones of the first magnitude), we started calling them mahones (ma-oh-nes). Now it's just bluyín.

We now hear 'pampel' as in Pampers, instead of pañales: Quiero que pases por la Sirena y me compres un paquete de pampel, pero de marca Huggies.

It's our version of Fed-Exing a document via UPS.

And no one says car wash... demasia'o folmal, como si uno tiviera hablando inglé. Se dice CAL-UÁ, unless you're from Baní.

Snowmane72

Jan 4, 2017
When I lived in Venzuela in the early 90's the word vaina was considered grocero (vulgar), but that didn't stop most of them from using it in general conversation. In my mind it was equivalent to sh*t in english, as in "That's some good sh*t".

Another popular vulgar word was vergazo, which I never really found a good translation for but basically it was a kind of derogatory punch ... actually maybe the closest english phrase would be "bitch-slap"?

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Blue jeans have come a long way in the D.R.

From "pantalones de fuerte Azul" (denim), to Rodeo (pronounced 'ro-deh-oh'), which was a popular brand; and via Puerto Rico (since we're copiones of the first magnitude), we started calling them mahones (ma-oh-nes). Now it's just bluyín.

We now hear 'pampel' as in Pampers, instead of pañales: Quiero que pases por la Sirena y me compres un paquete de pampel, pero de marca Huggies.

It's our version of Fed-Exing a document via UPS.

And no one says car wash... demasia'o folmal, como si uno tiviera hablando inglé. Se dice CAL-UÁ, unless you're from Baní.

For some reasons, every time I initially hear a Dominican anglicism which are numerous, I am absolutely clueless.