Avarage hourly rate for strong attorney

Nick_

Aug 2, 2017
Hi everyone!
Could you tell me please what is attorney's avarage hourly rate in the Dominican Republic?
Especially for departure to the place of arrest of client

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Not sure I understand the last part of your question?

But in my dealings with lawyers here, I don't recall anyone quoting an "hourly rate". Rather they quoted me either a "flat fee" for the issue, or a "percentage fee" based on sales price or settlement. 

Nick_

Aug 2, 2017
Timotero, thanks for your reply!

Last part of my question is about a situation when law enforcement agencies are going to arrest a person and he needs legal support because he don't know much about local law. He calls to attorney and how much he have to pay for attorney's arrival?

In similar situations local attorneys will expect a flat fee, yes? Could you tell how much approximately?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
How about contacting an attorney directly for a quote........
Different problems different prices.....
Also, same problem, different attorneys, wide range of prices, you can't get an answer here.....

Nick_

Aug 2, 2017
I want to know how much money I need to count upon in this case.
Didn't find average salary of a lawyer from Dominican Republic on the internet...
What is an average salary (per month) of the good lawyer? $3000-$4000?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I want to know how much money I need to count upon in this case.
Didn't find average salary of a lawyer from Dominican Republic on the internet...
What is an average salary (per month) of the good lawyer? $3000-$4000?

It varies a lot depending on the lawyer. I've seen lawyers in tourist areas quote 4000USD just to help get someone out of jail. If your government has an embassy in the DR, you could ask them if they have a list of lawyers they could provide you. Or post where you are and maybe some members could recommend someone to you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
According to husband (Dominican lawyer) it depends if foreign or Dominican (always charge foreigners more) and the type of case as it doesn't usually end at the arrest stage, that is the beginning. Normally around RD$5,000 for initial consultation plus gasoline to get to the house. If friends, or person is poor, then less.

Lawyers here don't have hourly rates, in some case it is no win no fee especially when case to do with claiming back something valuable such as land, other as I say, depends on the case.

Matilda.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
All big law firms have hourly rates usually ranging from $125 to $450 an hour depending on the attorney (from junior associate to the most expensive name partner). The average rate is about $175-$200 an hour.

In the US the most expensive lawyers are now charging around $1,500 per hour, but the average attorney hourly rate is about $360..

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
15 years ago I paid $350/hour to a partner in an international firm in the capital to draw up and negotiate a contract of sale of corporate stock.

A few years later she won against an attorney who tried all the typical games here when the buyer attempted not to pay, and ultimately got my money.

More recently I had her review all work done in a condo purchase by another firm - unknown to them.

She's proved herself to be incredibly knowledgeable, reliable, and well worth the money.

If the consequences are big, either financially or in regards to your freedom... don't skimp on the attorney - in DR or anywhere else.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have recently been shopping for lawyers and checked in with some of the larger US firms who have offices in the capital. One example is Squire Patton Boggs. I was quoted hourly rates with a fixed ceiling, the partner I spoke to was very impressive and clearly knew her stuff. The rates she quoted were not cheap compared to local lawyers and I chose to go with someone local purely because I speak reasonably good Spanish and this particular case is simple so doesn't need a heavyweight.

If your friend is an American, I would suggest that you consider using one of these US firms as all of their lawyers speak good English and they will also have offices back in the US if the case does continue when your friend returns there, or if he is arrested, his family will have access to lawyers there who can work with lawyers here.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
All non-US big firms in the DR have alliances with firms in the US and the rest of the world, allowing them to assist clients effectively in international transactions. Guzmán Ariza, for example, belongs to two legal networks; one of them has firms in all 50 US states and 10 Canadian provinces.
95% of our lawyers are Spanish-English bilingual. We also have lawyers who con communicate with clients in French, German, Russian, Italian, Haitian creole, Portuguese or Flemish.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
All non-US big firms in the DR have alliances with firms in the US and the rest of the world, allowing them to assist clients effectively in international transactions. Guzmán Ariza, for example, belongs to two legal networks; one of them has firms in all 50 US states and 10 Canadian provinces.
95% of our lawyers are Spanish-English bilingual. We also have lawyers who con communicate with clients in French, German, Russian, Italian, Haitian creole, Portuguese or Flemish.