2. Likes greydread, Africaida, DRob, mofongoloco, Squat liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rice&beans View Post
    Hahaha......

Poor hygiene!!

Classic CLUELESS .......

Love it!!!!
    Where we live in DR, I've never seen anyone with dreads. Never equated them with Dominicans at all. Last trip down to DR, I'm sitting next to this big guy in first class, long dreads, I'm thinking maybe he's Jamaican [I know, don't laugh at me] going on vacation. We didn't speak, he was listening to music. Towards the end of the flight, I see him coming out of the bathroom and the steward and stewardess take some selfies with him. I'm clueless. Flight lands. He pulls a bag out of overhead bins and hands out some baseball caps to a few male passengers. Apparently I was the only one on the flight that didn't know it was Maikel Franco, 3rd baseman of the Phillies. Dominican. Duh.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

4. Likes Mauricio, rice&beans, Africaida, DRob, dulce and 3 others liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't tell me you thought he was Jamaican as well ???????????

6. Likes dulce, Bronxboy liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post

Don't tell me you thought he was Jamaican as well ???????????
    Haha, no, I know who Manny is, followed his career beginning in high school when he used to train by running the streets with tires around his neck.

Funny thing is that I live in Phillies territory, and my son's name is Franco, and I remember he was happy to be able to buy a Phillies Jersey with FRANCO on the back - especially since he's a Dominican player.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

8. Likes Africaida, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    Really, it's no different from the motoconcho or the person serving your meals. A sanky/sankiette is trying their best to make you enjoy your trip by creating the fantasy that, yes, you're older and overweight, can't dance or really speak the language, but despite all that (and the fact they look like a dancer from "Despacito"), they just can't resist your charms.  
    They are not trying to make you enjoy their stay, at best they are trying to enjoy themselves through you (by having access to places they wouldn't otherwise have access to) and/or thinking of way to part you of your money, I don't see them caring them so much about the gringo/a, all they care is themselves and what they can get out of a naive gringo/a. no ?

At least with a motoconcho, you know from the beginning the service is offering, that is take you from point A to B hopefully in one piece for 50 pesos. No pretense.

I could stab someone if I hear despacito (the annoying reggaeton bangwagon, when they were sh*tting on the genre the day before yesterday) one more time.

10. Likes rice&beans liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    They are not trying to make you enjoy their stay, at best they are trying to enjoy themselves through you (by having access to places they wouldn't otherwise have access to) and/or thinking of way to part you of your money, I don't see them caring them so much about the gringo/a, all they care is themselves and what they can get out of a naive gringo/a. no ?

At least with a motoconcho, you know from the beginning the service is offering, that is take you from point A to B hopefully in one piece for 50 pesos. No pretense.

I could stab someone if I hear despacito (the annoying reggaeton bangwagon, when they were sh*tting on the genre the day before yesterday) one more time.

Pretty much!

Thank you for writing that.....

I couldn't have.....

I tend to agree.....

Bery lazy day....

12. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If only I had chosen a different path in life.....

Could have retired earlier with a bigger smile 

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    If only I had chosen a different path in life.....

Could have retired earlier with a bigger smile 
    I hear ya. Just think, I probably could have been a millionaire by 30.

15. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

The chicas don't like braids or dreads, considered unsanitary.

17. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    I think the important thing to remember is these folks are offering a service. Really, it's no different from the motoconcho or the person serving your meals. A sanky/sankiette is trying their best to make you enjoy your trip by creating the fantasy that, yes, you're older and overweight, can't dance or really speak the language, but despite all that (and the fact they look like a dancer from "Despacito"), they just can't resist your charms.
    Reading this, I had a flashback to 1973 when I spent 2 weeks on the island of Majorca in Spain with 3 girlfriends. Stayed at a lovely first class hotel [Victoria], and we came to find out that the hotel actually employed young men to dance with any unattached females so they would have a good time. I thought it was very weird at the time, and even offensive, but now I'm wondering if this was common in Spain and Spanish countries at the time. Precursors to todays animation team and sankies??? Back then they were called gigolos.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

19. Likes Africaida, dulce liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast