Ceiling Fans

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
 Looking for metal fans. The wood ones look nice but don't move the air enough.

The main features would be:

Anti Corrosion
Remote control if available. Hate those big boxes on the wall
Cost
Reliability. 

What are you guys history with ones that work?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The KDK work great, but big box on wall. We have one in our living room.

We bought 4 Kichler outdoor ceiling fans on ebay, shipped them down with a mundanza, and we love them. Two are in our outside covered patio, and the other two are in our master bedroom. My husband bought the remote controls separately and installed them when he put the fans up. They really move the air, and since they are rated for outdoor/damp conditions they should last a lot longer.

Don't waste your money on the pretty Westinghouse fans at Ferreteria Americana - they only look nice, do not move the air.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
kdk metal is the best . before you put them up put some petroleum jelly on them and the helps with rust or a light film of wd 40 or silicone product

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Learn to like the box on the wall because KDK is the best choice.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Part of the reason for the big KDK box is it's easier to just surface mount the Variable Speed switch - and not recess it into the wall.

You can buy remote control switches, you may have to order from the States though - not sure about variable speed.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Big metal blades KDK moves the air like no other. Make sure it's properly balanced by the installer.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I'm ok with a cheap fan from bellon but I can't find a 24" 1/2 downrod to mount it properly on my tall ceilings...before I pay $25 for one on amazon, any good sources for that here? Already brought my own controller and the proper mount for the sloped ceiling

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Seems like KDK is the answer but what about rust? Are there ones with special coatings

I saw one that was just metal, probably aluminum. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Seems like KDK is the answer but what about rust? Are there ones with special coatings

Ours is rusty along edges of blades. I suppose you could paint the blades with a clear acrylic paint before installing???? It is what it is..... Unless you're going to ship one in, that's the best there.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Nope. Steel. May as well get accustomed to the fact that where you live, you'll be doing new fans (or at least new blades) every 2 years or so.

Try AE's suggestion. All ya gotta cover is the edges.