Flying from the DR to Merida Mexico.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We are thinking of going to Merida and Campeche around Christmas time. Any idea on what is the best/cheapest route to fly to Merida Mexico from either Santiago or Santo Domingo?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When I went to Merida [I **loved** Merida and the whole Yucatan], we flew first to Mexico City.

May 5, 2007
When I went to Merida [I **loved** Merida and the whole Yucatan], we flew first to Mexico City.

I know of a guy that fly's a King Air from Santo Domingo to points in Mexico if you are 4-8 people it is usually cheaper than commercial and far more comfortable and near as fast (about 4 hrs v 3 actual flying time) when you add in the check in, waits, private terminals etc

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We would only fly to Merida and bus to Campeche. It looks like the best route may be Santo Domingo to Miami, then Miami to Merida. I would prefer STI to Miam, then Merida. Anyways right now just in the Maybe stage.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Cheapest would probably be through Miami on AA. Aero Mexico goes through Mexico City but it is more expensive. Even though more expensive I would prefer going through Mexico City. My tolerance for Miami is at a minimum. Sounds like a nice trip though.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Cheapest would probably be through Miami on AA. Aero Mexico goes through Mexico City but it is more expensive. Even though more expensive I would prefer going through Mexico City. My tolerance for Miami is at a minimum. Sounds like a nice trip though.

Did you know that aeromexico is flying to Santo Domingo? Maybe is faster than go to Miami

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You must be able to work this backwards....

Which airlines or cities serve your destination?
Work it back from there 

Certainly AeroMexico will be as direct as any ... thru Mexico City

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
When we went you had to fly to Cancun then bus to Merida. I do not think there are international flights to Merida. Merida is a quintessential Mexican city to visit.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Two flights a day depart Miami for Merida. American @ 10:30 and Aeromexico @ 15:00. American is direct. Some Aeromexico flights are direct. $300-$350

Last edited:

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Merida is my favorite city in the world.
Clean and very safe.
Outstanding restaurants, Kuuk is the very best.
We began travelling there in 1975, usually at Christmas.
Houston, United is a non-stop 2 hour flight.
Cannot wait to get back again.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I see a flight from Panama City Panama to Merida for $109. How much to get to PTY I don't know,

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I was going to say copa through panama. Spent a horrible night in merida when our fliggt to cancun was not allowed to land because of weather. Customs had gone home already so we wakted on tarmac for two hours. Then two hours to clear immigration and customs. Bussed to hotel. An hour to check in, then two hours sleep. Then in cancun they had us clear customs again. Try to explain to the dopes that we were coming in on domestic fliggt and had cleared cistoms at 2am.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
We are thinking of going to Merida and Campeche around Christmas time. Any idea on what is the best/cheapest route to fly to Merida Mexico from either Santiago or Santo Domingo?

Not exactly answering your question..but last year flew AA from Punta Cana--Miami-Mexico City.  Stayed a few days in La Ciudad then  drove to San Miguel de Allende.  But now happy AeroMexico is here. By the way a while ago spent a week in Merida and the yucatan.  Wonderful wonderful trip.  Loved Beautiful Merida.  But we also love Mexico.  Viva Mexico??????????????????

Last edited: