Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a business that plays music - read this

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya...good luck to them trying to fleece the colmado owners.

2. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Windy - one thing that strikes me about Frank's letter is that it is not signed nor has its STAMP ! So I would think this is a scam. If it is official is should be signed and stamped . And it does not have YOUR RNC number on it either !!!

Olly and the Team

4. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a "scam", but it does not appear to be a scam, if you know what I mean:

http://www.tribunalconstitucional.go...-0362-15_0.pdf

6. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that when I play Pandora in the US if I play it on more than one unit...multiple rooms..
    They warn me and tell me not to....they mention 'No Commercial Use' 

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Windy - one thing that strikes me about Frank's letter is that it is not signed nor has its STAMP ! So I would think this is a scam. If it is official is should be signed and stamped . And it does not have YOUR RNC number on it either !!!

Olly and the Team

I see the RNC# right under the banner of the letter.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Ya...good luck to them trying to fleece the colmado owners.
    I see some colmado/carwash/bar owner reaching under the counter and pulling out a machete chasing these scammers away. Don't know if foreigners can get away with that.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a scam. It's been a law for years, but they only enforce it periodically. When they entered my bar I told them that I only played rock music and nothing Dominican and they said "ok" and left. Many of the Dominican bars on Pedro Clisante such as Las Flores and Mamajuana were paying 800 pesos a month.

11. Likes sanpedrogringo, Milo Mitt liked this post
    I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

My question regarding the piped in music is that I've noticed in New York most establishments have done away with the jukebox systems, and have been relying more and more upon the establishment's house Apple Ipod, or simply have one that overrides the other when in or not in use. (That's a plug for Robert with Apple...LOL). This has been ongoing for years. Here in the DR, I've noticed that most of the music from establishments is pumped out from laptops, with somebody within the house acting as the 'DJ'. Most places have told me "go ahead, play whatever you want", and then you see that their music connection is YouTube videos, or other type of internet based amateur DJ mixing programs. I really can't see anybody coming after these people to pay monthly dues, either here or there.

I love infractions!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    It's not a scam. It's been a law for years, but they only enforce it periodically. When they entered my bar I told them that I only played rock music and nothing Dominican and they said "ok" and left. Many of the Dominican bars on Pedro Clisante such as Las Flores and Mamajuana were paying 800 pesos a month.
    It has to be the same selective enforcement as food and health inspectors in the States. If this was the case areas like the Malecon in San Pedro would not be playing music all day and night. Then again, there could be an under the table agreement in place. The casetas in San Pedro do have a "Caseta Rights Organization" that is loosely equivalent to the old carting business, or shall I say, waste management business in New York and New Jersey.

14. Likes Seamonkey liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a scam. I own a hotel in the capital, we had them on our backs for years, really years. Eventually we went to court and we had to pay them. They settled for RD$ 1000 a month. None of this money seems to get to the recording artists, it basically goes straight into someone's pocket, but the law here says that any business that plays music has to have a licence from Sgacedom. They are extremely aggressive, I think the inspectors / collectors are paid on a commission basis and they just hounded and hounded us, sometimes five or six calls a day, as well as walking into the business and threatening staff. My lawyer actually got into a fight with them and punches were thrown. Very nasty organisation, but I think that if they are on to you to you have to pay.

16. Likes sanpedrogringo, Seamonkey liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast