Medina Considering Another Run

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is starting to sound like a broken record and a dictatorship not a Democracy. Why do politicians think it is their right to alter the constitution and change the rules to suit themselves? I guess because they can. After the Odebrect scandle, under his watch, I would think he would not want to push his luck but these people have no conscience and the arrogance they display is unreal.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
This is talked about in DR1 Daily News for August 7th, 2017.

Medina could seek second re-election in 2020
President Danilo Medina met last week with representatives of minority political of the Bloque Progresista and other politicians that backed his past bid for re-election in the 2016 general election. An alliance with minority parties and past opposition parties, mainly the PRD, allowed for sufficient votes to change the 2012 Constitution that banned consecutive re-election at the time.

Minority party members that were present included: Maritza López de Ortiz (PAL), Jorge Zorrilla Ozuna (PCR), Emilio Rivas (MODA), José González Espinosa (PTD), Juan Cohen (PNVC), Luis Acosta Moreta (UDC), Antonin Polanco (PASOVE), Rafael Peguero (PPC), Marino Collante (DPR) , Trajano Santana (PRI) and Francisco Peña Tavarez (BIS).

Also present were Public Works Minister Gonzalo Castillo and Education Minister Andres Navarro.

After the meeting at the Presidential Palace, former PRD senator turned PLD senator for Azua, Rafael Calderón, announced that if the circumstances were right and the moment in history compelling he saw the possibility of proposing again to modify the Constitution to enable the re-election of President Danilo Medina in 2020. Calderon said that the PLD has to go with the candidate that will guarantee a win. He said this could be with former President Leonel Fernandez, with Vice President Margarita Cedeno or with the president of the Senate Reinaldo Pared Perez.

In 2015, the ruling PLD party maneuvered to gain the necessary votes in the legislature to change the 2012 Constitution that had banned consecutive re-election. The resulting 2015 Constitution establishes that a candidate can run twice and then cannot run again.

The ruling PLD party is absolute majority in both houses of the legislature and the new alliance with the PRD would seemingly make it easier to change the 2015 Constitution to prepare for a re-run of President Medina in 2020.

On Saturday, in an editorial in Diario Libre, keen managing editor Ines Aizpún remarked that with a slow economy and the Odebrecht issues not resolved, to talk about reelection and changes in the Constitution was “an insult to the intelligence of the citizens of this country.”

http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/2017...dina-2020.html
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...tura-JM7806964
https://www.diariolibre.com/opinion/...urla-XL7814563
https://elnuevodiario.com.do/reunion...e-progresista/

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A lot will depend on who runs against the PLD. I think the Marcha Verde has placed a cloud over the government, and anything can happen. The opposition needs to find the right opponent, and retire the same old windbags.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Hopefully the opposition will mount a challenge to the PLD with a new voice for the younger generation. But Old men and their lust for power will make that highly unlikely.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A lot will depend on who runs against the PLD. I think the Marcha Verde has placed a cloud over the government, and anything can happen. The opposition needs to find the right opponent, and retire the same old windbags.

well that's the problem. the only guy who stands out from the opposition to me is paliza but he has no chance to be presented as a presidential candidate in the coming elections. maybe in 2024. but so far it looks like it may be the clown or abinader again. and they won't stack to the power of PLD.

and really, i'd rather take a fat and satiated thief over the thief that is thin and hungry.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Hipolito is already saying he will be in the running. I don't see a single person in the PRD/PRM community that would have an ice cube's chance in hell against the PLD.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, power corrupts every Dominican who not is already, it seems.

Maybe he (Danilo) has to run again to cover his losses - maybe he had to give back the Odebrecht money? :D

But I take another term of whoever over anything Hipolito...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Seriously: is anyone surprised? Did anyone not see this one coming down the tracks?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Medina is a carear politician ( which is the worst kind to be obviously ) and has never really worked a day in his life.....he has nothing to fall back on....of course he needs/wants to run again what else can he do to maintain his lifestyle....become mayor of the capital.....:rolleyes:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Post #12 has me wondering...... Do former Dominican presidents get a salary the way ex-US presidents do? If so, how much?

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I read the article about Medina wanting to run again and thought...how typical. I guess it's true that looks can be deceiving because at first glance you would think that Medina is actually a humble and nice guy. However, it appears to me that he is no different than the rest money, power hungry statesmen. What a damn joke this is....just change the constitution every other term as long as it benefits the ones in power. How can the DR ever see any change or progress when the same people continue to stay in power? There is no new and fresh ideas, how can there be?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I read the article about Medina wanting to run again and thought...how typical. I guess it's true that looks can be deceiving because at first glance you would think that Medina is actually a humble and nice guy. However, it appears to me that he is no different than the rest money, power hungry statesmen. What a damn joke this is....just change the constitution every other term as long as it benefits the ones in power. How can the DR ever see any change or progress when the same people continue to stay in power? There is no new and fresh ideas, how can there be?

i do not think they are interested in conventional notions of progress. the DR does not care about appearances. it did not care when it allowed a man who was regarded as the most corrupt to go home without a trial.

the DR senate allowed a constitutional change to allow Medina to run twice. now they are thinking about another change, to allow him to run three times

its all good...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
PLD is not that dumb. they know they need to come with the candidate who will win. danilo is not that likely. first, that would require another tweak in the constitution. second, his popularity may plummet if he is pushed as a candidate yet again. third, there seem to be internal agreement to present leonel for 2020.

it will be interesting elections, no doubt. more traitors will swing from one party to the other in the hope of getting elected. more complaints about corruption and buing the votes. good times ahead.