info on snorkeling in puerto plata

repoman1

Apr 6, 2016
Hello everyone, can someone give me some detailed info on snorkeling? I heard that sosua beach is a good place to snorkel? anyone have info of exactly where? also someone said to try next to ocean world?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
You can snorkel direct from the beach in Sosua bay,There are several coral gardens quite shallow and with a good population of fish.
I have actually stopped doing it now as there are too many idiots thrashing around in motor boats and not respecting the protected areas.Would be a good idea to have a lookout with you.
Then you can go to Sosua by the Sea beach and if you are a reasonable swimmer there are a couple of nice reefs not too far out.These are a bit deeper but still nice in good visibility.
The most visited is called Three Rocks off the end of Playa Chiquita which I have not done directly from the beach but there are plenty of excursions which will take you out there.There is a huge population of common reef fish and occasional visiting animals.
I bit further away near Rio San Juan is a delightful beach called Playa Caleton which can also be easily visited directly from the beach.Less interesting animals but a nice day out.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Is there any decent beaches for snorkeling and safe for swimming from Perla Marina to Cabarete?

Swimming (or Snorkeling) is not really recommended between Perla Marina and Cabarete do to the currents...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hello everyone, can someone give me some detailed info on snorkeling? I heard that sosua beach is a good place to snorkel? anyone have info of exactly where? also someone said to try next to ocean world?

Playa de Costumbar isn't bad for snorkeling. Just down from Blackbeard's Resort is where I'm talking about on the south side. Great reef area there and safe as far as I'm concerned although I'd go with a "buddy" to be safe.

repoman1

Apr 6, 2016
are you talking about the peninsula on the map I see down from black beards? or not that far down?. looks like there maybe parking on some residential roads along the ocean?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
are you talking about the peninsula on the map I see down from black beards? or not that far down?. looks like there maybe parking on some residential roads along the ocean?

Yes. You can also park right on the beach by the two beach bars and walk down. That's what I do because I wasn't comfortable leaving the car unattended on the dunes. There is a lot of grass on the beach and it's not the cleanest of areas, but the reef area there is excellent. I spearfish and snare lobsters there.

repoman1

Apr 6, 2016
Yes. You can also park right on the beach by the two beach bars and walk down. That's what I do because I wasn't comfortable leaving the car unattended on the dunes. There is a lot of grass on the beach and it's not the cleanest of areas, but the reef area there is excellent. I spearfish and snare lobsters there.

man!!! that's what I want to do. what will it take to meet you there?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it this about the area at the end of paseo del mar street, where the ocean eats up the shore little by little and is just meters away from the buildings? and small beaches along the road? filthy. but i see the locals spear fish in those spots so it must be better the further into the water you go.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Our last dive was over 10 years ago from Sosua beach out to the reef that was close to dead at that time. BUT... it was an easy swim out and still had some good fun even thou plastic and garbage was caught in it. I think that some effort has been made to clean it up.

Take a banana or two. When at the reef, peel and squish it to make small pieces and the fish appear from no where and will start to eat at the whole exposed banana. It was almost scary with the amount of fish that came out to eat. Remember to bring the peel back with you. Remember that this was over 10 years ago.

Their is/was a dive shop in Sosua that can take you out to another dive site by boat. That may be for a scuba dive but, year ago, the previous owner gave lessons in a pool on scuba. Just enough that most could do the dive.

Don't forget the banana. Very exciting and fun.

Good luck.