Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K-Mel View Post
    Actually it is a kind of imperialism but rather based on their financial assets to take advantage of poor countries , and replace the ancient colonizers influences into Africa.
    They are not invading Haiti. They made a deal with the govt of haiti to provide a service, for a price. The Haitian govt could have told them to go pound sand. It's Capitalism. Nothing else.

2. Likes Buzz65 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K-Mel View Post
    Actually it is a kind of imperialism but rather based on their financial assets to take advantage of poor countries , and replace the ancient colonizers influences into Africa.
    Whatever. But don't forget how much money developed countries as USA, Canada, European countries etc. have send to this kind of countries without perspective. Maybe the Chinese can teach them to use their brain and discipline. I like the new approach, even if the main objective is not aid, but then nobody is obliged to help another.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving slave labor closer to it's biggest consumer. Brilliant.

Your next iPad could be made in Haiti. LOL

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Whatever. But don't forget how much money developed countries as USA, Canada, European countries etc. have send to this kind of countries without perspective. Maybe the Chinese can teach them to use their brain and discipline. I like the new approach, even if the main objective is not aid, but then nobody is obliged to help another.
    Most of that money was send to NGO's, check Clinton's bankaccount for example.
    The Chinese will teach them don't worry. It would also be nice if they'd invest in reforestation, Haiti could use some of that.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, they will teach them, but some things never change. And I wasn't talking about specific aid, but more the annual fonds being send to Africa, and this island, yes including the DR, still reveiving money from the EU.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So Buzz, do you want your iPad made in Germany? Would cost you three times as much.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz65 View Post
    Moving slave labor closer to it's biggest consumer. Brilliant.

Your next iPad could be made in Haiti. LOL
    There have been 7" tablets made in Haiti for several years now. Samsung clones. Even take Barnes and Noble Nook apps. Nobody except Samsung is supposed to be able to.
    Last edited by Derfish; 08-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, so true.

When I was getting my MBA a few years ago, I did a research project on iPad. The cost to make and ship was around $197 from Foxconn in Shenzhen. However, labor is not the biggest reason why made in China. China has a monopoly on 17 hard-to-mine elements that are necessary for making gadgets. In the iPad, it’s suspected that these earth metals are used to make the iPad’s lithium-ion polymer batteries, the display, the magnets to attach the Smart Cover, and even to polish the glass.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

To sloooowwwwwww.

Surtab

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to stop sending free rice to that country. Every market has USAID rice for sale. Clinton rice put the Haiti rice farmers out of business. The Chinese can teach them how to grow rice very well. They did in Liberia some 10 years ago. Good for the economy.

12. Likes greydread, Africaida liked this post
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast