Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Well, its not everyday that news about Haiti put a smile on my face, but I'm perfectly aware something might happen to dampen that a little (or a lot.) Fingers crossed it doesn't!

China is going to invest some US$30 billion in infrastructure in Haiti. This seems serious. Its definitely what they need (if the politicians can keep their hands out of the cookie jar, again fingers crossed.)

Improvements in infrastructure will have a tremendous impact on the economic development over the long term. That means jobs, lots and lots of jobs; not to mention new business opportunities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0bd8232029723

Moderator Polls Forum

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope for the best. How long will our Chinese friends stay for maintenance?
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 08-11-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Removed offensive slur

3. Dislikes Gabriela disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean no harm, but somethin just doesn't smell right here.

5. Likes pelaut, JayinRD, zoomzx11, orlando44 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    The Chinese must have found out about Cocomordan.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

of course it does not smell right. Jamaica has the same kind of arrangements with the Chinese, in which they undertake infrastructure projects. remember that there is the little matter of a bidding process, but while local firms are bidding with private equity, the Chinese are bidding with sovereign funds. yes, government money. unlimited amounts. local firms cannot compete.

and forget all this labor. the Chinese demand that 50% of the labor content has to be Chinese, yet Jamaicans who study the situation say that nearly all the labor is brought in from China. couple that to all the concessions, and tax breaks, and final ownership of the revenue streams, such as tolls, and it might not be such a great idea after all.

8. Likes mofongoloco, Africaida, pelaut, frank12 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

China has got a good history of providing infrastructure aid to many countries in Africa and their influence there has grown because of it . The countries they assist are poor and I see help to Haiti as a natural extension and , as in Africa, I think we will see a Chinese presence . In my view ,China will replace the American influence in Haiti and I hope it will give impetus to their economy which may, in turn, lead to fewer Haitians wishing to leave their home country.

10. Likes retiree, drstock, frank12, greydread liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like buying a distressed property in a good neighborhood. You put money into it and hope for a return.

As to the bidding process, it's their money. They, the Chinese, can do what they want. If they want to slant the bidding process in favor of chinese firms so be it. It's no different than a private investor coming in and awarding contracts.

It may be a gov't entity, but it aint the Haitian gov't. Big difference. It's not Haitian tax dollars we're talking about here. In the end, it's still good for Haiti.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just what Haiti really needs...an influx of Chinese Food Buffets...the place will be in the same strata as New Jersey and Orlando!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    It's like buying a distressed property in a good neighborhood. You put money into it and hope for a return.

As to the bidding process, it's their money. They, the Chinese, can do what they want. If they want to slant the bidding process in favor of chinese firms so be it. It's no different than a private investor coming in and awarding contracts.

It may be a gov't entity, but it aint the Haitian gov't. Big difference. It's not Haitian tax dollars we're talking about here. In the end, it's still good for Haiti.
    which means, in summary, that the Chinese will reap the loaves, and the Haitians will get the crumbs. that does not look to me like the light at the end of the tunnel.

14. Likes mofongoloco, Dark_Scorpion, jeb321 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

The Chinese did a lot of work on trains.

As for Haiti, they need a really big light.

Perhaps Trump will be able to get his shirts and ties made in Haiti.
    That would be ironic after the dismal failures there of the Clinton Foundation.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast