Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Anecdotally, 10 years ago Chinese otorcycles were complete crap. Now several brands are high-quality and still incredible bargains.

Bonanza in Santo Domingo sells a line of luxury Chinese cars---I forget the brand---that of you took off the name plates you could easlily think "Mercedes" or "BMW."

But are they Mercedez or BMW's.? There's the rub!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeb321 View Post
    jeb, nothing is a Bimmer or a Benz. China has not been in the automobile business very long...they have an excuse. Ford and Chrysler do not.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Last warning, if it's not about China and Haiti, it doesn't belong here

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You are terribly misguided.  And, ha, you believe anything written by so called economist here that IMF and World Bank wrong too.  I do understand that dominicans most likely will never ever say anything or think anything about Haiti without venomous thoughts attached, but Haiti itself (imo) did not just put itself into where it is.  The world aka our planet has thrust it aside.  Look at history impartially, which I know you will not and cannot do. So please stop your pontificating about Haiti being extremely restrictive about investment in their country.  Look at your own country first and see that the governments Have sold their soul to the devil and try to understand all the positive propaganda we receive every single day here.
    I, unlike you (and most of my countrymen, regrettably), have studied them EXTENSIVELY, so I'm not some Johnnie-come-lately you can come and browbeat about anything regarding them, or any other place in this hemisphere, for that matter. Sit down, study their constitution (I know, in most of these countries it's a goddamned piece of paper, but trust me, the parts that cost the least effort and gets them a monopoly on anything, they will apply religiously and zealously), and then, when you have done that, get back to me. Haiti, and most of the countries of the so called developing world for that matter, will only start to recover when they recognize/identify some of the self-inflicted damage they have done to themselves, and act accordingly in correcting it. More acting and less finger pointing, please.
    Last edited by Naked_Snake; 08-13-2017 at 01:26 PM.

5. Likes melphis, Russell liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course not. Having seen some I will say their appearance of quality is as good as cars costing 3 times as much. Tight tolerances. Thick paint. Luxury where you'd expect. Top leathers and fabrics.

I remember when an old girlfriend bought a new tiny Hyundai sabot around 1987. What a POS! Just horrid! Have you seen a new Genesis up close?

The days of "cheap" Chinese junk are over. They can make anything they want now, at any level of quality and engineering.

I wrote a blog post about improved quality and perceptions: Motorcycles Goin' Global.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Can't blame China for selling what the people choose to buy. The consumer is not blameless here. They create the demand by buying the crap. To some buying 4 pairs of $25 sneakers rather than 1 pair of quality sneakers makes sense.
    I don't agree . its totally wrong to sell things that hurt today children of the world.... let me ask you this would you sell something if you knew your children would get sick from it.........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Nova Scotia many Seafood Harvesters, especially Lobster fishers, are 50% or more owned by Chinese Investors.
    These are individual investors. The 'Bread basket' in China is getting smaller and the demand higher , due to the population and ability to guarantee future food sources. Haiti has potential, and with the infusion of Chinese investment ; maybe, just maybe Haiti will become the ''Silk Purse''.
    Russell

9. Likes slowmo, Dolores liked this post
    99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKNIGHT View Post
    I don't agree . its totally wrong to sell things that hurt today children of the world.... let me ask you this would you sell something if you knew your children would get sick from it.........
    That's not my point. There are criminals in every economy who unscrupulously sell defective or injurious products. I am sure examples can be found here in the DR and next door in Haiti of the very same practices. Without a doubt, if lead based paint were available here, someone would paint a toy with it to save a peso or two. These errant manufacturing practices are founded in greed and avarice. This is a difficult discussion to have without going off topic.

The point is, if consumers did not buy Chinese products they would not be offered for sale. If Haiti had a better offer for infrastructure construction from somewhere else, they would effectively have a choice. No such help is generally offered by the "western world" as the political and financial gains of such an offer do not lend themselves to the quick rewards and publicity that western good samaritan companies, organizations and politicians generally wish to receive in recognition for their activities.

We are not talking blankets, food and water after a disaster here. Haiti needs everything from roads to buildings, to power plants to water treatment facilities to street lights. If China is willing to provide these for future considerations that are advantageous to China and Haiti, more power to China as the rest of the world obviously is not at all interested in the same sort of arrangement.

11. Likes slowmo, Russell, Naked_Snake, Dolores, Derfish liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Delayed today's DR1 Daily News digest to include this story about the letter where the Mayor of Port au Prince accepts the US$4.7 billion in Chinese infrastructure investment for the city. This is BIG for the island of Hispaniola.
    ----

Port-au-Prince mayor clears US$4.7 billion in Chinese investment
    The best news of the year for the island of Hispaniola is in a letter dated 25 August 2017. Mayor Ralph Youri Chevry of the capital city of Port-au-Prince, Haiti has sent a letter dated 25 August 2017 to China’s Southwest Municipal Engineering Design and Research Institute agreeing to a major Port-au-Prince Municipal Renovation Project. The scale of the project, reportedly US$4.711 billion, makes this acceptance note major good news for the Dominican Republic, too, because of the economic and social impacts on both countries.

The infrastructure works call for separate projects to be completed within three to five years. These encompass water, drainage and sewage works, improvements for 12 main roads (over 100 kms), environmental protections, drainage and sanitation (garbage collection), a communications network and reconstruction of the old city of Port-au-Prince including the port area, new 2,000MW power central with initial generation capacity for 600MW.

The project also encompasses installation of modern communication systems (itv, Internet, fixed telephone and mobile service), and major security system including surveillance systems, and PDAs and walkie-talkies for the police. A modern hotel is also contemplated as part of the Chinese construction works.

DR1 Forums has also been following the story that is being covered by the HuffPost.

http://www.loophaiti.com/content/voi...port-au-prince
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a62d0987b056

13. Likes AlterEgo, slowmo, NALs liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Dominicans can go to Haiti and work on the projects?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast