The difference between Miami and Cancun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I'm in Mexico again. Heard a joke last night.  What is the difference between Miami and Cancun?  In Cancun they speak English. 

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
ROFLMFAO!!!

How about: There are more Americans in Cancun.

BTW, your username is fricken funny!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Nail on the head with that one! Worked in Hialeah for 5 years, and the minute I left work, I hightailed it to my condo in Ft Likkerdale. When I first started there, I would make purchases in the supermarkets and such. not one cashier, or butcher spoke english. I asked the store manager why this was the case. "Because we don't need to", was the reply.
From that point forward, I vowed never to spend another dime in miami.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Nail on the head with that one! Worked in Hialeah for 5 years, and the minute I left work, I hightailed it to my condo in Ft Likkerdale. When I first started there, I would make purchases in the supermarkets and such. not one cashier, or butcher spoke english. I asked the store manager why this was the case. "Because we don't need to", was the reply.
From that point forward, I vowed never to spend another dime in miami.

At one point a new Publix Grocery store opened in one of the south suburbs of Miami. I went in and ordered the same sandwich I had been ordering for years at any and all Publix Groceries. The kid struggled as best he could to tell me that they could only make my sandwich with Cuban bread. I looked up the manager and although his accent was strong he did speak enuff English to understand me. I told him I had been ordering this sandwich for years at any and all Publix Groceries, but the kid back in the deli dept if i had understood him said I had to have a sandwich from some imported bread, The manager called the deli and they made me my sandwich!
Der Fish

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In that case let me remind everyone that the pronunciation of Miami is MEE - AAAAH- MEE, not MY - EEAH - MEEE.

You don't want the locals to know that you are from out of town or a native English-speaker. lol

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
At one point a new Publix Grocery store opened in one of the south suburbs of Miami. I went in and ordered the same sandwich I had been ordering for years at any and all Publix Groceries. The kid struggled as best he could to tell me that they could only make my sandwich with Cuban bread. I looked up the manager and although his accent was strong he did speak enuff English to understand me. I told him I had been ordering this sandwich for years at any and all Publix Groceries, but the kid back in the deli dept if i had understood him said I had to have a sandwich from some imported bread, The manager called the deli and they made me my sandwich!
Der Fish
Years ago I went into a brand new Publix in Palm Beach County in a largely Jewish area.

They carried no pork products in the meat area or deli.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I'm in Mexico again. Heard a joke last night.  What is the difference between Miami and Cancun?  In Cancun they speak English. 

I like this. I read a few years ago that Miami is a 70% Spanish-speaking city. No doubt because whenever I am in Miami and I go to a store I wait to see in what language I will be served and it's always Spanish except for one time at a drive through. I smile every time, speak with the cubanos and I am on my way. I am overdue for a trip and I am hoping to go by the end of this year. Now it's probably seriously little Venezuela even outside of Doral. Miami is one of my favourite cities. Forget about travelling to Spain to learn Spanish for those who want to learn. Go to Miami.

-MP.

Aug 6, 2006
In that case let me remind everyone that the pronunciation of Miami is MEE - AAAAH- MEE, not MY - EEAH - MEEE.

You don't want the locals to know that you are from out of town or a native English-speaker. lol

The local oldtime inhabitants pronounce it My AM uh.

It used to be that the only people who could not pronounce the Spanish and Italian Street names in Coral Gables were those who lived there. See-VILL-uh, Pawns dee leeOWN, Gee RAWL dah.

Aug 6, 2006
Years ago I went into a brand new Publix in Palm Beach County in a largely Jewish area.

They carried no pork products in the meat area or deli.

You cannot get roast beef at the deli section of the Presidente supermarkets, either.

Publix is way better for their deli sandwiches than Subway, in the event you have not noticed.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008

It used to be that the only people who could not pronounce the Spanish and Italian Street names in Coral Gables were those who lived there. See-VILL-uh, Pawns dee leeOWN, Gee RAWL dah.

Not quite.....my grandparents traveled and vacationed in MYAMI  since the 1930s and the way I have it spelled is the way everyone I have known all my life pronounces it.  I don't know which group you are referring to.  So ...you say potato some say 
potata some say tomato some say potata But Miami is usually pronouncec MYami.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008

The locals? Hahahaha?  The locals from Latin America?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Like my brother-in-law poked fun at people from Missouri because they didn't pronounce the name of their own state in the same manner as he did!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Can a mod please explain why this post is on the forum? Surely DR1 is a forum about things Dominican and this is all about Miami and Cancun. Or am I missing something?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Because it is in the CLOWN BIN, does not have to be D.R related.

However it is getting off-topic of original post.

We try to allow some leeway, but as usual, it usually gets out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.