Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 92

Thread: Cell Phone From US

  1. #71
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is the internet speed/quality the same with prepago then with postpago, using claro ?
    I find that claro prepago internet suks really bad, now that its unlimited. ( as opposed to the old system where it went per day and per kb/gb ).

    I will probably switch to orange on one of my phones to see if its any better.

    Another thought :  dr aquired phones seem to get better signal ( read network bars ) than european counterparts.
    I even use a claro phone ( a free one, a samsumg PO.S ) as a hotspot, and then connect my S7 through wifi to get a stronger signal

  2. #72
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Is the internet speed/quality the same with prepago then with postpago, using claro ?
    I find that claro prepago internet suks really bad, now that its unlimited. ( as opposed to the old system where it went per day and per kb/gb ).

    I will probably switch to orange on one of my phones to see if its any better.

    Another thought :  dr aquired phones seem to get better signal ( read network bars ) than european counterparts.
    I even use a claro phone ( a free one, a samsumg PO.S ) as a hotspot, and then connect my S7 through wifi to get a stronger signal


    I sugest you also to try with VIVA.

  3. #73
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    I sugest you also to try with VIVA.
    Mmmh according to their "signal map" viva is only in towns and cities and not in the campo.
    Or did I get it wrong ?

  4. #74
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Mmmh according to their "signal map" viva is only in towns and cities and not in the campo.
    Or did I get it wrong ?


    Depending what area you live, i have a friend that live in one campo in Moca and Orange do not have service and ViVA has service voice and data where he lives.

  5. #75
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    ljmseg...I had the most dreadful trouble with Orange in many different parts of the DR, and Claro was slightly better..many problems until I purchased a Motorola..it has picked up so much more than the Samsung or the Sony did ..I now have two and love them..but you can not buy them new here except by Amazon or Ebay
    Are you on a US sim card?

  6. #76
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    TMobile has International 1 plan for US phones. $25.00 additional per month with many features and bennys.

    Will report on it in December from the DR.

  7. #77
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Another thought :  dr aquired phones seem to get better signal ( read network bars ) than european counterparts.
    I even use a claro phone ( a free one, a samsumg PO.S ) as a hotspot, and then connect my S7 through wifi to get a stronger signal

    Answer - none are made in DR, so a person needs to research the phone they bring to see which frequencies it supports. Often a phone which was made to be compatible for Networks elsewhere won't work well in DR.
    If in doubt buy a recent iPhone at the Apple Store or recent unlocked flagship phone like One Plus 5, or Samsung S8, or LG G6, HTC U11, or Huawei Honor 9 and they should work with both major carriers, Orange and Claro.

    Avoid CDMA phones like those compatible with Sprint or Verizon in the US, because GSM phones tend to work better. A recent Orange phone in Europe should support the same frequencies on Orange in DR.

    But check your phone's frequencies on this website: https://willmyphonework.net/
    If you can't use the website then buy it and pay more in the store here, or just buy an iPhone in a Apple Store stateside or Europe.

    And the new Qualcomm chips like the Snapdragon 835 with X16 modem support higher data rates. If you can hold off till mid 2018 to get the new Qualcomm X50 modem chip in a phone which supports 5G and that is a game changer and 5G networks should fully be deployed in Western Europe, US, Japan, Korea, Dubai and Canada by 2020 and it will be faster than your best cable modem or best WiFi.

    Expect yourself to be underground with worms if you are over 60 before 5G hits the DR, as 4G LTE is 'still' not rolled out fully in the DR

  8. Likes malko liked this post
  9. #78
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Expect yourself to be underground with worms if you are over 60 before 5G hits the DR, as 4G LTE is 'still' not rolled out fully in the DR
    Read this article from Ericsson, they installed the new LTE Network for VIVA and the router 6000 will provide conectivity for 5G, they will make 5G test at the end of 2017.

    https://www.ericsson.com/ag/en/press...work-expansion

  10. #79
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    Read this article from Ericsson, they installed the new LTE Network for VIVA and the router 6000 will provide conectivity for 5G, they will make 5G test at the end of 2017.

    https://www.ericsson.com/ag/en/press...work-expansion
    I didn't see that they will test 5G in DR by the end of 2017 in the linked article, (perhaps in a different article ?) only that their switch router will be 5G capable. Maybe they will roll out 4G LTE or 4G+ (LTE-Advanced), but as of now they have not deployed fully deployed 4G LTE in DR, although I am hearing some people liking VIVA more each day. It takes a lot of time to lease tower space, import new equipment and build sites.

    I hope VIVA expands aggressively, if the local owner is well funded and serious about island wide coverage, I'd love to see a 4G Network everywhere not just some in SD, Santiago and Punta Cana as Orange has done.

    My bet is on Claro to be the 1st to get a 4G complete network, because of what they are doing in the rest of Latin America - but whoever gets real island wide coverage at 4G should get a lot of us to switch to the more expensive post-paid accounts.

    Since 5G won't begin to be available in some areas of N. America and Europe until mid-2019, for sure it won't be here for many many years later. We are talking millions (at least $100-$200 million US) to fully deploy an upgraded Network in a mountainous geographic area the size of DR.

    A lot of people are clambering for faster networks - I'd be happy to hear from some of the RF Engineers from the carriers here in DR. Any on this forum ?

  11. #80
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    I didn't see that they will test 5G in DR by the end of 2017 in the linked article, (perhaps in a different article ?) only that their switch router will be 5G capable. Maybe they will roll out 4G LTE or 4G+ (LTE-Advanced), but as of now they have not deployed fully deployed 4G LTE in DR, although I am hearing some people liking VIVA more each day. It takes a lot of time to lease tower space, import new equipment and build sites.

    I hope VIVA expands aggressively, if the local owner is well funded and serious about island wide coverage, I'd love to see a 4G Network everywhere not just some in SD, Santiago and Punta Cana as Orange has done.

    My bet is on Claro to be the 1st to get a 4G complete network, because of what they are doing in the rest of Latin America - but whoever gets real island wide coverage at 4G should get a lot of us to switch to the more expensive post-paid accounts.

    Since 5G won't begin to be available in some areas of N. America and Europe until mid-2019, for sure it won't be here for many many years later. We are talking millions (at least $100-$200 million US) to fully deploy an upgraded Network in a mountainous geographic area the size of DR.

    A lot of people are clambering for faster networks - I'd be happy to hear from some of the RF Engineers from the carriers here in DR. Any on this forum ?
    Yes I read it in another Link, i used Claro until 6 month ago
    When I switched VIVA, and I can tell the equipment that is using VIVA has better quality than Claro, better voice Quality too, and inside my house with Claro I never got a Call or could use data even having 2 bars of signal.  Now with VIVA with one and 2 bars of signal i can make and receive calls, also text on whatsapp.  And yes every month they are improving their Coverage and LTE is avilable in almost all locations.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO