Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone From US

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    Yes I read it in another Link, i used Claro until 6 month ago
    When I switched VIVA, and I can tell the equipment that is using VIVA has better quality than Claro, better voice Quality too, and inside my house with Claro I never got a Call or could use data even having 2 bars of signal.  Now with VIVA with one and 2 bars of signal i can make and receive calls, also text on whatsapp.  And yes every month they are improving their Coverage and LTE is avilable in almost all locations.
    What phone do you have ?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    What phone do you have ?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Iphone 6S plus

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Answer - none are made in DR, so a person needs to research the phone they bring to see which frequencies it supports. Often a phone which was made to be compatible for Networks elsewhere won't work well in DR.
    If in doubt buy a recent iPhone at the Apple Store or recent unlocked flagship phone like One Plus 5, or Samsung S8, or LG G6, HTC U11, or Huawei Honor 9 and they should work with both major carriers, Orange and Claro.

Avoid CDMA phones like those compatible with Sprint or Verizon in the US, because GSM phones tend to work better. A recent Orange phone in Europe should support the same frequencies on Orange in DR.

But check your phone's frequencies on this website: https://willmyphonework.net/
    If you can't use the website then buy it and pay more in the store here, or just buy an iPhone in a Apple Store stateside or Europe.

And the new Qualcomm chips like the Snapdragon 835 with X16 modem support higher data rates. If you can hold off till mid 2018 to get the new Qualcomm X50 modem chip in a phone which supports 5G and that is a game changer and 5G networks should fully be deployed in Western Europe, US, Japan, Korea, Dubai and Canada by 2020 and it will be faster than your best cable modem or best WiFi.

Expect yourself to be underground with worms if you are over 60 before 5G hits the DR, as 4G LTE is 'still' not rolled out fully in the DR
    My phone is 1900MHz.

Is that a good frequency for the DR?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    My phone is 1900MHz.

Its good for VIVA - 3G 1900 and LTE 1700/2100

Claro has 3G 850 and LTE 1700/2100

Orange soon Altice 3G 900 and LTE not sure wich on they will finally use because the Goverment Regulator told them to change frecuency as mandatory regulation for the Merger between Orange and Tricom.
    Last edited by Riva_31; 11-16-2017 at 07:36 AM.

5. Likes ljmesg liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Riva_31 as you seem to be the Viva expert, can say how to get "SOCIAL RD$199/30days sin impuesta" data packet from #123# options ... !?

I mentioned this Viva offers you promoted here to some friends and they search the website and found this offer above, but it is not so obvious how to select it from the phone using #123#....

Also, I went to they website and can't see that RD$145/30days you mentioned, there is RD$145/7days though.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    My phone is 1900MHz.

It just isn't frequency but also Bands and whether it is CDMA or GSM and does your phone support UMTS ot HSPA.
    No phone now has only one frequency that it is compatible with.
    There has been an evolution from 2G, 3G, 4G, LTE 4g+ and soon 5G.

When in doubt buy an iPhone (not a carrier locked iPhone)
    or Google "Will My Phone Work" and enter all the data in their web forms.
    But any phone you bought from a carrier needs to be unlocked so a new sim will work.
    Also if you have an anti-virus on your smart phone (which is becoming important) which is set for locking down your phone on sim-swap that needs to be turned off before placing in a new sim.

If you have a phone from Verizon or Sprint likely it won't work well even if unlocked.

If you are really in doubt buy your phone in the DR at the provider's store - they are a bit higher but it will work with the carriers frequencies.

Most flagship Android (recent top models) will work but can be a crap shoot.

Good idea to buy a dual sim phone that supports your home frequency and the carrier's in the DR too, then travel is seamless. Or like I did when traveling have two phones. My dream is for the new smart phone batteries to someday last for 4 days like my old Samsung flip-phone. Remember that luxury ?

8. Likes ljmesg liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know someone knows some details of frequency licensing in the DR, but I assume they have it sorted out with the government, because Orange does have LTE in Santiago, Punta Cana and SD ans some stretches of highway. And it works quite well.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Riva_31 as you seem to be the Viva expert, can say how to get "SOCIAL RD$199/30days sin impuesta" data packet from #123# options ... !?

I mentioned this Viva offers you promoted here to some friends and they search the website and found this offer above, but it is not so obvious how to select it from the phone using #123#....

Also, I went to they website and can't see that RD$145/30days you mentioned, there is RD$145/7days though.
    #123#
    Option 1 - Paquetes
    1.- Paquetes de datos
    2.- Paquetes de datos sin renovacion automatica
    1- Oferta Internet + Voz Ilimitada
    Then the final options are
    1- 1 dia ilimitado 45.00
    2- 3 dias ilimitado 85.00
    3.- 7 dias ilimitado 145.00

For christmas they are now giving also unlimited calls within viva network.
    Make sure do not select the packages that says Mb. those packages are not unlimited.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It just isn't frequency but also Bands and whether it is CDMA or GSM and does your phone support UMTS ot HSPA.
    No phone now has only one frequency that it is compatible with.
    There has been an evolution from 2G, 3G, 4G, LTE 4g+ and soon 5G.

When in doubt buy an iPhone (not a carrier locked iPhone)
    or Google "Will My Phone Work" and enter all the data in their web forms.
    But any phone you bought from a carrier needs to be unlocked so a new sim will work.
    Also if you have an anti-virus on your smart phone (which is becoming important) which is set for locking down your phone on sim-swap that needs to be turned off before placing in a new sim.

If you have a phone from Verizon or Sprint likely it won't work well even if unlocked.

If you are really in doubt buy your phone in the DR at the provider's store - they are a bit higher but it will work with the carriers frequencies.

Most flagship Android (recent top models) will work but can be a crap shoot.
    You are right the correct term is Band not frecuency.

I dont remember to mention 145 for 30 days.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    #123#
    Option 1 - Paquetes
    1.- Paquetes de datos
    2.- Paquetes de datos sin renovacion automatica
    1- Oferta Internet + Voz Ilimitada
    Then the final options are
    1- 1 dia ilimitado 45.00
    2- 3 dias ilimitado 85.00
    3.- 7 dias ilimitado 145.00

For christmas they are now giving also unlimited calls within viva network.
    Make sure do not select the packages that says Mb. those packages are not unlimited.
    Yes, the RD$145/7 days is the correct one from their website, what about that "SOCIAL RD$199/30days sin impuesta" on their website, no instructions for that...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast