New Theme Park Coming to DR

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
From reliable source that Anheuser Busch, the beer company owned by InBev is talking about building a theme park in Punta Cana. My friend works for Busch Gardens, that is owned by them and said they have been looking at this for few years.

I wonder to myself, will it success if it's built?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hopefully this will come through, but I can't fail to remember when a bible-themed amusement park was rumored to be built by some foreign investors (I think they were Americans.) It must had been over a decade ago and still nothing!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hopefully this will come through, but I can't fail to remember when a bible-themed amusement park was rumored to be built by some foreign investors (I think they were Americans.) It must had been over a decade ago and still nothing!

those things cannot make money in small third world countries. a wast of time..

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Punta Cana is a prime destination for family tourism and now it is attracting tourists from the midwest of the US, for the first time, so the markets are expanding beyond eastern US and eastern Canada. It is all about getting the flights in, and this has been happening for the destination. Every year more flights from different destinations are announced.

Right now, would say that the two biggest activity parks are the Nickelodeon in northern Punta Cana and the Creactive Cirque du Soleil at Club Med in the southern part, while most resorts have their own smaller water parks or themed family recreational centers.

The government offers generous tax incentives for setting up operations such as Busch Gardens. Probably they figure the Punta Cana area is attracting a sufficient large number of vacationers to make the operation profitable. Maybe Disney in the future would even consider a new Disney park. Please keep us posted.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I shudder to think of the quality of the maintenance and repair work that would be done on the rides. I would not be confident getting on a roller coaster or any other ride for that matter knowing the power could fail at anytime.

I don't think the display of exotic animals will do too well here for the people or the animals. Logistically this idea will be a nightmare, and practically, a near impossibility to pull off here in the long term. In Florida, Busch Gardens piggy-backs on the tourist draw of Disney World and a decent freeway infrastructure that makes it possible to get to Tampa from around the state. It takes far too long to get from most places on this island to Punta Cana making a day trip to the facility impractical for many.

A simple hut where tourists can go and drink all the free InBev beer they can hold might be more achievable.

Reactions: sylviamcginnis

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
And remember that AmBev is Cerveza Presidente in the Dominican Republic. They already have the Festival Presidente. It is possible they could even build a major amphitheater where they could host the event every year in Punta Cana.

Just speculating...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Busch Gardens was pretty down at the heels 20 years ago the one trip I made there, nowhere near the level of Disney world 100 miles away. Maybe they have renovated it by now. But it was still a fun day there, and add something like that into a package deal and it may be good for the tour operator and the beer company both.
Der Fish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Busch Gardens was pretty down at the heels 20 years ago the one trip I made there, nowhere near the level of Disney world 100 miles away. Maybe they have renovated it by now. But it was still a fun day there, and add something like that into a package deal and it may be good for the tour operator and the beer company both.
Der Fish

I was there in the past 10 years. Nothing to write home about.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The company has many theme parks with different attractions -- Adventure Island, Water Country USA, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens, Sea World and Aquatica

See these as listed on their website: https://www.buschgardens.com/

Dolores, where do you think the clientele would come from to support such a venture?

i see these circuses and amusement park things popping up in POP every so often. they last for a week, and they move on, obviously to another town. they probably will make a few dollars in the temporary location paradigm, but i could not see them surviving on a full time basis, after the novelty wore off. there is just not enough local money to keep them viable. so, do you think that some guy vacationing from Vancouver is going to spend time at an amusement park in the caribbean, when every state fair in his country has something bigger and better?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Iguana Park is a perfect example. They came to Santo Domingo for about a month a few years in a row. I guess they realized wasn't enough money to be made and they never returned. Iguana Park aka Amusements of America is no small time operation.

Dolores, where do you think the clientele would come from to support such a venture?

i see these circuses and amusement park things popping up in POP every so often. they last for a week, and they move on, obviously to another town. they probably will make a few dollars in the temporary location paradigm, but i could not see them surviving on a full time basis, after the novelty wore off. there is just not enough local money to keep them viable. so, do you think that some guy vacationing from Vancouver is going to spend time at an amusement park in the caribbean, when every state fair in his country has something bigger and better?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Bávaro Adventure Park does not seem to get much business from the locals, even the more affluent ones. Their entrance fees are exorbitant, even with the special rate for locals.