Eliminating "Botellas"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Lots of articles in the news lately about teachers not being paid. Some were actually working in a different school than the payroll indicated, but thousands [almost 4,000!!] more were "botellas" - no show jobs, being paid for being in a political party, friends with the right person, etc. They're cracking down. I wonder what other departments will be targeted next, way beyond time for this to begin.

This article is computer translated.

PROCEDURES BEGIN TO ELIMINATE BOTELLAS

The Ministry of Education of the Dominican Republic (Minerd) began administrative procedures to cancel during this month the 3,929 teachers who despite being on the payroll, supposedly do not perform teaching duties.

This was stated today by a source at El Nacional, who pointed out that as soon as the audit carried out by the Minerd concluded that 3,929 teachers were "bottle", work began on the separation of the payroll from these.

Last Tuesday, when giving details of the audit, Education Minister Andrés Navarro said that the cancellation of these teachers would represent a saving for the State of about RD $ 117 million a year.

ADP would receive list
Also, the Minerd will deliver today's noon to the Dominican Association of Teachers (ADP) listing with the names of the 3,929 teachers that were detected do not work in public schools.

The information was offered by Eduardo Hidalgo, president of the guild that groups the teachers, who said that when they receive the document they would make a cross with the payroll that the ADP has to determine if they certainly do not perform educational tasks.

"We have to validate that information, the ADP agrees with the audit in a general sense, even to previous ministers we requested audits to the payroll of the Ministry of Education, now, we believe that errors have been made in the audit that was done to the Teachers, "he said.

Hidalgo also stated that the 4,169 who were unlocked from the Minerd payroll began charging this Friday.

http://elnacional.com.do/inician-procedimiento-para-cancelar-maestros-botella/

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In Gaspar Hernandez there is pldeista drinking and driving around getting paid 65000 a month. He said he even don't know where is "office" is in SD.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Good for them. Gotta start somewhere.

Didn't the current or past Presidente say that if he tried to eliminate corruption, he would'nt make it out alive? But if they chip away one industry at a time they can do it.

4,000 "no shows". Wow. You can bet a bunch of those are top tier salaries.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tip of the iceberg.

Political power in the DR is based on botellas...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Go to any govt office and you can spot them in a second. There's so many of them, you can't miss them. Those are the unlucky ones who have to go to work every day but do nothing.

Believe it or not, the employees that DO work look down on them. It's not one big happy family like some believe.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A public show to give the appearance that "we're doing something."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's on a huge scale. Small state school near me has people on the payroll who the staff and volunteers have never seen or met. When you speak to children in other state schools they say things like - we only have a vice principal, the actual principal never shows up - conclusion is that someone is drawing the principal's salary.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Eliminating Botellas.........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

This will happen after they eliminate Beer, Rum, Merengue, Arroz, Platano y Pelota......bueno suerte y/o buen intento....:cool::rolleyes:

puedes deletrearlo L-I-P S-E-R-V-I-C-E

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Yes, that's been cleared up. As far as I know of, they haven't gotten paid yet, but will soon.

Still not "cleared up" and some not paid.  Our neighbor works at a school.  Goes to work everyday.  The card she uses to withdraw her pay has been blocked.  And, no can explain why or when it might be "cleared up."

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Lots of articles in the news lately about teachers not being paid. Some were actually working in a different school than the payroll indicated, but thousands [almost 4,000!!] more were "botellas" - no show jobs, being paid for being in a political party, friends with the right person, etc. They're cracking down. I wonder what other departments will be targeted next, way beyond time for this to begin.

This article is computer translated.

PROCEDURES BEGIN TO ELIMINATE BOTELLAS

The Ministry of Education of the Dominican Republic (Minerd) began administrative procedures to cancel during this month the 3,929 teachers who despite being on the payroll, supposedly do not perform teaching duties.

This was stated today by a source at El Nacional, who pointed out that as soon as the audit carried out by the Minerd concluded that 3,929 teachers were "bottle", work began on the separation of the payroll from these.

Last Tuesday, when giving details of the audit, Education Minister Andrés Navarro said that the cancellation of these teachers would represent a saving for the State of about RD $ 117 million a year.

ADP would receive list
Also, the Minerd will deliver today's noon to the Dominican Association of Teachers (ADP) listing with the names of the 3,929 teachers that were detected do not work in public schools.

The information was offered by Eduardo Hidalgo, president of the guild that groups the teachers, who said that when they receive the document they would make a cross with the payroll that the ADP has to determine if they certainly do not perform educational tasks.

"We have to validate that information, the ADP agrees with the audit in a general sense, even to previous ministers we requested audits to the payroll of the Ministry of Education, now, we believe that errors have been made in the audit that was done to the Teachers, "he said.

Hidalgo also stated that the 4,169 who were unlocked from the Minerd payroll began charging this Friday.

http://elnacional.com.do/inician-procedimiento-para-cancelar-maestros-botella/

My wife said this has been going on for decades and her exact words were, "It's about time". She also said that there are other government agencies where botellas are a problem.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From Dominicans I've spoken to, this is far from limited to teachers. I'm told there are many people on government payrolls receiving a salary for jobs that they never work one day in their life - not just show up and don't work, the job basically only exists on paper.

One "official" in Jamoa supposedly has five different titles and collects five paychecks from the government. It's all government payoffs for votes and how many potential votes a person can bring in.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Responsibility is not a Dominican "strong suit".

Of course.  But, in this case, I have known this woman for years.  She works.  She takes care of her kids.  She pays her bills - early.  And, still sh*t happens.  The electric company also shows up to cut off her luz.  She has to go out with the factura and show them she paid.  Incompetence.  In a word.  And, so now again similar sh(t.  She does what's right and still things go wrong.  Too common.