Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominican Driving licence - what is considerd validation

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Driving licence - what is considerd validation

Hi,

I am trying to apply for a dominican republic driving licence,
    I have read that I am required to validate my current driving licence at the british embassy.

What is considerd as validation of a driving licence?

The embassy state they don't validate documents all they can do is certify a copy,

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you a legal resident of the DR? First you have to be a legal resident with a cedula.

There is another thread on DR1 about the procedure to get a license if your government does not properly validate a license for Dominican purposes. Sounds like a certified copy is not sufficient, since they are just saying the copy is the same as the original, but other Brits can verify that. My country does not validate licenses, so I had to get one here from scratch, pay the fees at Banreservas, get a learners permit, take an eye test, blood typing, computer based "written" test. No need in my case to take a driving test, but you might have to. If you take it in an automatic transmission car, then your license would be valid if you drove a stick shift.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience here was that they are not interested in your out of country licence,--like Windeguy says, you start from scratch,-its not onerous but just consumes time.

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You used to not to have to take the Dominican test, just with the UK license validated the Dominican driving license people issue you with a Dominican one. Americans cannot do this as their licenses issued by states and not the country, but most European embassies can do it. Having said that the embassies are doing less and less so I am not sure they still do it.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone should take the driving test, it is people who formerly drove on the wrong side of the road.

I never learn...
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pularvik View Post
    My experience here was that they are not interested in your out of country licence,--like Windeguy says, you start from scratch,-its not onerous but just consumes time.
    No, as a Canadian you can get your Canadian license verified at the Canadian Embassy, go through the legalization process and do your eye test, blood test, have your picture taken and you have your Dominican Drivers license. My wife and I have both done so.

7. Likes Drak liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Moro ..strangely I was with an Italian last night who told me that for Italian drivers licence holders ,you need to get the drivers licence apostillised ,,not too sure if there is such a word but you need to have an apostille for your drivers licence ..having got that you take the licence and the apostille and a translation into spanish to the licence office in Santo Domingo ,,,think it is in Tiradentes but across J F Kennedy from the commercial area .. It took some time in Italy but no time here in the capital. But first you will need to know if they will do that for an English drivers licence.

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    Moro ..strangely I was with an Italian last night who told me that for Italian drivers licence holders ,you need to get the drivers licence apostillised ,,not too sure if there is such a word but you need to have an apostille for your drivers licence ..having got that you take the licence and the apostille and a translation into spanish to the licence office in Santo Domingo ,,,think it is in Tiradentes but across J F Kennedy from the commercial area .. It took some time in Italy but no time here in the capital. But first you will need to know if they will do that for an English drivers licence.
    I am sure they do - that is what used to happen. And given that Brits are excellent drivers I can't see why not.

Matilda (A Brit driving here for 17 years without an accident - even though on the wrong side of the road Windeguy lol)

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

10. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Escuela de Chofers...........done

No training , just money

12. Likes Fulano2 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Are you a legal resident of the DR? First you have to be a legal resident with a cedula.

There is another thread on DR1 about the procedure to get a license if your government does not properly validate a license for Dominican purposes. Sounds like a certified copy is not sufficient, since they are just saying the copy is the same as the original, but other Brits can verify that. My country does not validate licenses, so I had to get one here from scratch, pay the fees at Banreservas, get a learners permit, take an eye test, blood typing, computer based "written" test. No need in my case to take a driving test, but you might have to. If you take it in an automatic transmission car, then your license would be valid if you drove a stick shift.
    Hey,

Yes im a legal resident, i've just read somewhere if your countrys embassy doesnt validate the drivers licence you can get it done at the dominican embassy in your home country

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast