Haitian Caneros Demand Residency

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Computer translation:

Cañeros demand to the Government permanent residence for 50 thousand of its members

They also call for compliance with the migratory agreements for the hiring of day laborers

SANTO DOMINGO. The Union of Cañeros Workers (UTC), returned today to demand that they be granted permanent residence to more than 50 thousand cane farmers from all over the country.

The march started at the Mauricio Báez park in Villa Juana, with the Ministry of Interior and Police (MIP) located on Leopoldo Navarro Street in Gascue, where they delivered a letter containing their demands.

Farmers were welcomed by an assistant to the minister, Carlos Amarante Baret, who was told that they will give the state institution a few days to analyze the communication delivered.

Jesús Núñez, a spokesman for the sugarcane workers, said that the Government must comply with the migratory agreements for the hiring of day laborers between Haiti and the Dominican Republic, since Article 3 of said negotiation says that each hired worker must be provided with documentation, in this case Identity card and voter that says "do not vote".

He said that the ministries of Finance, Interior and Police and the State Council of Sugar, are responsible for the misery, hunger and problems of sugarcane.

For his part, Yesibon Reynoso, an activist and defender of the rights of sugarcane farmers, defended his sector by claiming that sugar cane workers do not have to demand documents from the Regularization Plan, since when they signed the contracts to enter the country, automatically They had to be endowed with an accreditation, justifying the fact that they have more than 50 years of social security contributions.

They emphasized that day laborers have contributed to the social and economic development of the country.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...manente-para-50-mil-de-sus-miembros-CG7899510

jpblan2001

Jun 23, 2014
Here is what I read "The Union of Cañeros Workers (UTC), returned today to demand that they be granted permanent residence to more than 50 thousand cane farmers from all over the country".

But the title of your story is the "Haitians" who are demanding this. The people who hire the Haitian Cañeros, the sugarcane plantation owners, I would be curious as to know what their stance is? I suspect they would be against this since they would have to pay more in the form of salaries.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I have a question; can't the cutting of sugarcane be accomplished using farming equipment? Sort of like in the US where nobody picks cotton anymore.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I have a question; can't the cutting of sugarcane be accomplished using farming equipment? Sort of like in the US where nobody picks cotton anymore.
Yes it can but labor is so darned cheap and a harvester is a half million dollars plus. I have heard that some mechanized harvesting has been put in place though.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Here is what I read "The Union of Cañeros Workers (UTC), returned today to demand that they be granted permanent residence to more than 50 thousand cane farmers from all over the country".

But the title of your story is the "Haitians" who are demanding this. The people who hire the Haitian Cañeros, the sugarcane plantation owners, I would be curious as to know what their stance is? I suspect they would be against this since they would have to pay more in the form of salaries.

there were braceros over 20 years ago when the sugar was the thing in DR, they are very old for that now

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Are the caneros only Haitians ? I assume some Dominicans might do this work too since jobs are so scarce in DR.
I have watched them in the fields near Montellano and know that working in the cane (probably just walking in it) would shred me like a knife fight.