Good breakfast place in Puerto Plata

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Are there any good places in Puerto Plata to go for breakfast. Not tourist places. I know breakfast is included in the AI but it is fun to get out and explore a bit more.
I've been to Puerto Plata many times but don't have a clue about a decent morning breakfast place.

Thanks.:nervous:

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
An place off the tourist beat "malecon" with just the normal Canadian type menu. Eggs, pancakes,toast etc., coffee. I suppose it does not matter what type, of more interest is location. Even like a sit in bakery for coffee and snack.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Tam Tam at the western end of the Malecon has Domincan and NA breakfasts. Sit on the sidewalk and watch the world go by while you eat and sip coffee. There are three restaurants in a row at this location.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
1. La Cocina de Gladys y algo mas (en la ezquina circa de parque central)
2. La Sirena (malecon)
3. Any small cafeteria (not restaurants)
Mangu, queso frito, jueves con cebolla y vinagre, aquacate y salami mmmmm deliciosa 

web

Nov 5, 2005
la Caseta across from Acapela bar on the malecon...That is where Hans from Barco's is now and they have a killer breakfast

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
la Caseta across from Acapela bar on the malecon...That is where Hans from Barco's is now and they have a killer breakfast
I endorse this. They have a range of dishes and will customize them to your specification.

Griselda is a very friendly and amusing waitress. Hans is away until September.

Closed on Tuesdays.

Just to clarify, it is opposite Zona Acapella & 30-40 Disco.

Tell them Martin sent you and she might give me a free coffee next time!

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
I will try to remember, i won't be in Puerto Plata until the last 2 weeks in October. Thanks for the tip, and i would enjoy an amusing waitress. :devious:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I will try to remember, i won't be in Puerto Plata until the last 2 weeks in October. Thanks for the tip, and i would enjoy an amusing waitress. :devious:

given the way businesses go in the DR, i would wait until two weeks before my trip to do my research.

here today, gone tomorrow.

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
How about a local bakery? Sit down for a coffee and muffin, donut? Or Tim Horton's style. Just curious, i have been to most of the places on the malecon.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Are there any good places in Puerto Plata to go for breakfast. Not tourist places. I know breakfast is included in the AI but it is fun to get out and explore a bit more.
I've been to Puerto Plata many times but don't have a clue about a decent morning breakfast place.

Thanks.:nervous:

I didn't find one in 5 years there. Not a bacon and eggs type breakfast with maybe pancakes etc... In Sosua yes, but that is a long haul before breaking one's fast.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
How about a local bakery? Sit down for a coffee and muffin, donut? Or Tim Horton's style. Just curious, i have been to most of the places on the malecon.
In the same casita as Big Lee's Beach Bar is a new coffee shop run by a nice Canadian lady,I forget the name of the place but she has muffins and scones and other pastries and damned good coffee.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I didn't find one in 5 years there. Not a bacon and eggs type breakfast with maybe pancakes etc... In Sosua yes, but that is a long haul before breaking one's fast.

Barcos tried, for years, but it had Dominican cooks, and they never learned to cook a decent fried egg, or bacon. i have no idea what it is like now..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Disagree about the bacon! It was perfect! Are you British, by chance?

not British. . however, given the fact that people have different tastes, and like their foods cooked differently, i mean that the cooks were unable to follow simple instructions and cook my bacon how i wanted it done.