Thread: Reputable lawyer in Puerto Plata

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reputable lawyer in Puerto Plata

As the title states, I am looking for a reputable lawyer in Puerto Plata. The case is about two minors (14 and 16). Looking to sit down with someone who is experienced in cases involving youth.

Thank you for any leads.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Reputable' lawyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bla123 View Post
    As the title states, I am looking for a reputable lawyer in Puerto Plata. The case is about two minors (14 and 16). Looking to sit down with someone who is experienced in cases involving youth.

Thank you for any leads.

That is an oxymoron.  Good Luck

3. Likes pelaut, Conchman, beachcomber liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Guzman Ariza has an office in Sosua. I believe the consultation is free.

http://www.drlawyer.com/locations-2/sosua/

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Make it a point to ask for a sit-down with an experience lawyer.  I once asked for this and got an interview with two very young lawyers who needed to read a book to answer every question I had.  It was at that prominent firm's office in Sosua.  Yes, consultation is free.  

In my experience, lawyers in the DR don't specialize in anything, and that's a problem.  After this time, I asked for another meeting and said what it was for, and that given my previous meeting, I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting an inexperience lawyer.   We had a meeting with one of the most senior lawyers.  He was great, but couldn't answer a simple question that any lawyer would have known:  if we own property and community laws apply, then if one of us dies, the 50% belonging to the other party is not part of any inheritance, it's simply ownership, please confirm.  He did call me to confirm I was correct several days later.  

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat-in-Cabarete View Post
    Make it a point to ask for a sit-down with an experience lawyer.  I once asked for this and got an interview with two very young lawyers who needed to read a book to answer every question I had.  It was at that prominent firm's office in Sosua.  Yes, consultation is free.  

In my experience, lawyers in the DR don't specialize in anything, and that's a problem.  After this time, I asked for another meeting and said what it was for, and that given my previous meeting, I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting an inexperience lawyer.   We had a meeting with one of the most senior lawyers.  He was great, but couldn't answer a simple question that any lawyer would have known:  if we own property and community laws apply, then if one of us dies, the 50% belonging to the other party is not part of any inheritance, it's simply ownership, please confirm.  He did call me to confirm I was correct several days later.  
    Agreed. Top level legal is very rare here, as far as a firm in general hit and miss. As an individual sometimes you can get lucky. Others mat charge qst woeld rates but again you get about 25% of what you should.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Found someone, who said he needed to make up papers for me. I asked what papers.. to get a response it would cost 5,000 RD. Ridiculous.

I guess my hunt for someone who is not 100% horrid continues..

DR1 Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

You have good lawyers, so-so lawyers, bad lawyers and mediocre lawyers in the DR, just as anywhere else. For reference you should go to your Embassy; they usually have a list of the better firms in the country. For the top firms go to the two worldwide legal directories, both published in England: Legal 500 (www.legal500.com) and Chambers and Partners (www.chambersandpartners.com). These are the directories used by in-house counsel at Fortune 500 companies to choose local counsel and are based on thousands and thousands of interviews with clients, lawyers, former clients, etc.
    Last edited by Fabio J. Guzman; 08-26-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    Fabio J. Guzman
    Guzman Ariza
    Attorneys-at-Law
    Sosa, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macors, Cabrera
    Las Terrenas, Saman, Bvaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
    Dominican Republic

info@drlawyer.com

Website

The opinion above should not be construed to be formal legal advice and was given without reviewing the facts and documents pertinent to the case. The reader should NOT act based upon this opinion without seeking professional counsel.

9. Likes Robert liked this post
    Moderator - Off-Topic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bla123 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Found someone, who said he needed to make up papers for me. I asked what papers.. to get a response it would cost 5,000 RD. Ridiculous.

I guess my hunt for someone who is not 100% horrid continues..
    Sorry you're having those issues.

Many in our practice have had to deal with what I call "information trolls." They want an absurdly long consultation, in which they ask what will be done, step by step, to address their issues. When I was a baby lawyer, I thought the fact they were taking notes was a good thing.

Of course, you all know what happened: they took my information and tried to do it themselves. That's why my consultations these days are limited to 15 minutes, and I don't discuss in detail UNLESS I'm trying to get them out the door. It's also why I don't really deal with new individual clients any more, unless it's as a favor. 

The list provided by Lic. Guzman is primarily helpful for corporate or very HNI clients. For the person looking for help in matters that don't involve a leveraged buyout of Boeing, I'd recommend the old-fashioned approach of asking friends who they had good experience with.

That said, while not the only good lawyers in the country, Lic. Guzman has a great shop. I've had clients represented by them in the past, and heard nothing but favorable reviews.
    Off-Topic Forum
    DR1 moderator