Cisneros and Miches

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Is Senor Cisneros project Four Seasons/Tropicalia still ongoing? Things seem pretty quiet.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yes, still going, and anaunced like 2 more projects bedside Tropicalia.

Are you sure?

Kipling 333 posted this on 1st August in another thread:

I can answer that ..When Gustavo Cizneros was planning his major tourist development ,he said he was not going to plough in millions unless the Government built a good road to Miches ..So they came to an agreement , buy at this stage the development has stalled but already has spent millions but the town remains unchanged

I know of one hotel chain that put down a deposit on land within that development and have pulled out and chosen a site on the North Coast instead, and of two others that are stalled on their projects. And we are hearing little news of Tropicalia or Four Seasons and the word in the development community is not positive.

Sad if it is the case. It is a better more scenic part of the East Coast than down towards Bavaro imo.

Not been there recently so hope Kipling333 fills in the details regarding his earlier post.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...s-blow-to-cisneros-tropicalia-resort-project/

Court deals blow to Cisneros Tropicalia resort project

Santo Domingo.-  The Agricultural Bank and the Agrarian Institute (IAD) “under no circumstances” will allow the lands that the Supreme Court and the Superior Land Court have ruled are State-owned, to become “another episode of illegalities and irregular purchases of properties such as Bahia de las Aguilas.”

Agricultural Bank administrator Carlos Segura, and IAD director Emilio Toribio made the statement in reference to a land-sale dispute with Venezuelan investor Gustavo Cisneros, in the resort project Tropicalia, in Miches (east).

They stressed that the disputed lands are State- owned since 1964, to produce rice and other crops.

Meanwhile, Agricultural Bank lawyer Fabiola Medina on Monday called the dispute “a fight to prevent being stripped of some 10 million square meters of land suitable for tourism,” in El Seibo province.

“We have said that this case bears a strong resemblance to what happened in Bahía de las Águilas, where land, thousands of square meters of land was bought irregularly from agrarian reform landowners,” she said.

Inversiones Ítalo Tropicales, owned by the Cisneros Group, occupied around 10,000 square meters on land which on August 23 the Supreme Court ruled as property of the Agricultural Bank, upholding the decision handed down by the Superior Land Court, El Seibo jurisdiction.

Nonetheless the company cited apparent problems in the surveys of the property, and proposed a new mapping ,although the Supreme Court’s ruling was definitive .

Response

Although Cisneros has yet to issue a statement on the court decision, the resort group will likely cite a lack of legal security in the country, where foreign investors are often scammed by individuals and government officials as well.

Interesting. I know of one international hotel chain that invested in land but state their project remains on hold due to red tape.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Did I post that this year or last year . I will try to find out what is happening . it is a little difficult at present because I do not think they are in the DR at present . They are a very private family .