Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber users?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend buying an "Uber Gift Card" with a credit card. The balance of the gift card will be placed in your account and you can deduct each ride from that. I have used that before. I think this would be best if you are concerned about linking a bank account or credit card.

2. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a credit card linked to my Uber account while in DR without problems. The card was registered with the Uber account while I was in the US. The charges were in pesos and converted to dollars at market rate. I never experienced any issues.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo View Post
    Interesting to see that a lot of the anti cash people use the problem of the driver not being able to make change for their large bills as a concern. I thought the quest for small bills was the way everyone starts their day in the DR.

I am anti cash. The advantage of uber is cashless. I have used uber in US, DR, CR, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Mexico, Brasil etc etc etc. Was in mexico twice in last month. First trip I arrived with 500 pesos, second trip zero pesos.

Ubered everywhere and used CC for food. Even a 2 dollar water at conv center. Conrast that with currently having 450,000 colombian pesos in my wallet. I probably have a few hundred in leftover currencies from prior trips. Mexican trip? No leftover pesos!

Even in DR if have 10,000 pesos in wallet, but will spend 2,000 on taxis it eats into my beer budget. Also arriving and just getting out of car and on with my life is huge. No waiting for change, or no change while the driver blocks two lanes of traffic oblivious to 40 cars honking.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing I recommend using UBER in the USA, DR or anywhere for that matter is taking a screenshot of the quote along with the driver's information when the quote is received. This record will help you in case UBER overcharges you. You can dispute the charge and use the evidence. I have done this numerous times and received a credit/refund. Many people don't catch this and UBER must be receiving a lot of money from customers and the customer has no idea of the overcharging.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbars View Post
    I would recommend buying an "Uber Gift Card" with a credit card. The balance of the gift card will be placed in your account and you can deduct each ride from that. I have used that before. I think this would be best if you are concerned about linking a bank account or credit card.
    Registering CC with Uber is the same as with amazon. Dominican Driver has zero access. Mute point.

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Cash works but the advantage of Uber is the credit card ofcourse. And the driver doesn't have to do wth that so I have no problem at all using my cc with Uber, never had a problem. Trips mad in the US are also seamlessly charged on my banco popular card.

What Uber must do though is screen their drivers better. Too often lately I have a beaten , dirty old car with an unfriendly driver playing loud Dominican 'music'. 

Today I had a perfectly clean Toyota Camry though with a friendly, professional driver.
    I just tell the drivers to change the station and/or turn it down. I haven't had any get an attitude with me about it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Why use cash? One of the best things about Uber is it's cashless. Arrive and hop out.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never used uber in the DR, only colombia, and US. In any case, the app shows the exact amount of the fare prior to the driver's arrival.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    I have never used uber in the DR, only colombia, and US. In any case, the app shows the exact amount of the fare prior to the driver's arrival.

Not in Santo Domingo it does, it shows the estimated fare. The real fare depends on time and distance. 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    Not in Santo Domingo it does, it shows the estimated fare. The real fare depends on time and distance. 
    So you don't know your Uber price in Santo Domingo? Because of time it takes to get there?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast