Uber users?

zack59

Jun 12, 2017
When you set up an Uber account, which payment methods besides a bank account would you suggest? Anyone know if a Visa gift card or cash option will work? Thanks

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure about cash; never saw that as an option. I would guess that a visa gift card may work. I set mine up using my visa debit.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Uber does let you choose between paying by card or by cash on a trip-by-trip basis, you select the payment method at the time that you book the taxi. I would suggest that you pay with a credit card if you have one, it's really easy and convenient as when you reach your destination you just get out, no worry about finding change.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
In the DR when having to choose between cash or a card, I am a big time cash guy.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Cash works but the advantage of Uber is the credit card ofcourse. And the driver doesn't have to do wth that so I have no problem at all using my cc with Uber, never had a problem. Trips mad in the US are also seamlessly charged on my banco popular card.

What Uber must do though is screen their drivers better. Too often lately I have a beaten , dirty old car with an unfriendly driver playing loud Dominican 'music'. 

Today I had a perfectly clean Toyota Camry though with a friendly, professional driver.

Feb 7, 2007
Many drivers refuse cash-based pickups especially during night hours. Cash payments are harder to track in case of carjacking/robbery. A friend of mine in SD driving Uber was carjacked and almost killed on one Saturday night about 3 months ago, responding to a cash-based pickup. He doesn't do cash-based pickups ever since.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Honesty, if the driver gets me to where I want to go and fast, I could care less that he's playing Dominican music, unless it's obnoxiously loud. It was honestly uber's only option to allow older model vehicles here because then they wouldn't get enough drivers. I do think they should offer some options like an English driver option specifically for tourists or people still learning. (they have Spanish driver options in some parts of the US.) and Uberpool. The problem I have with cash is that you can be "shorted" very easily especially if you are only carrying bigger bills.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Getting change can be difficult when doing a cash ride.  A credit card is easier tomuse and offers more protections.  Many drivers speak some level of English.   I have never experienced an old beat up dirty car.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you use a credit card it works out way cheaper. First because Uber charges you an exact fare, so it comes to something like RD$ 127. If you paid in cash, you wouldn't pay exactly RD$ 127, you would definitely round it up to maybe RD$ 150, and think nothing of adding 20% to the cost of your fare. And more likely you would feel guilty and give the driver a little tip to take it up to RD$ 200, especially if he hasn't got any RD$50s to give you change. So now your fare has nearly doubled.

Uber are incredibly good at refunding if you're not happy. Just send them a message and bang the fare is refunded to your card. You can write in English or Spanish.

And regarding the music, I always sit in the front and if I just turn the music down or off myself and say "I'm going to make a call", they are always fine with this. Uber cars are always good quality, with A/C, and the drivers are usually nice guys who are happy to chat.

I don't work for Uber and have no association with them, but I use their service several times every day and think it's wonderful.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Be careful. Last night a friend used cash and was overcharged. He is new to uber and did not know how to verify price on app. I have noticed in the last month using a credit card padding of the bill. Recently a driver went way out of the way to get to my destination. Twice I have been dropped off but the trip continued. When I complained I always receive a reduction within one or two minutes. My advice is to pay attention to the price and the map of your trip.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Another scam to watch with über is driver sends pic to über with puke in back seat says u did it ..clean up charge $100-150 seen it here in Canada..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife was cheated on twice using Uber here, seeing on the app that the trip had started but the driver hadn't arrived. 

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I pay Uber with credit card, so no need to wait for exchange as their fares also use cents in the calculation. Another thing is that here when you ask for Uber taxi the pin in the map is not 100% accurate so remember to make a zoon and move the map to locate the pin in you exact location.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My wife was cheated on twice using Uber here, seeing on the app that the trip had started but the driver hadn't arrived. 

I only had a problem one time that the driver cancelled the trip, I called him and told me he couldnt make the trip but I was charged, I made a reclamation and they gave me a credit for the amount of the trip.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Getting change can be difficult when doing a cash ride.  A credit card is easier tomuse and offers more protections.  Many drivers speak some level of English.   I have never experienced an old beat up dirty car.

While being on vacation in the US and having someone use our DR based Banreservas credit card and running up over $1,000 US in charges in Santiago, which Banreservas then insisted were actually our charges and forced us to pay despite proof we were not even in the country.

Previous to that, I had two US based credit cards cloned here in the DR. We no longer use credit cards in the DR. (Soon we can all use the cashless system of payment PICHARDO has spoken about. :alien:)

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Interesting to see that a lot of the anti cash people use the problem of the driver not being able to make change for their large bills as a concern. I thought the quest for small bills was the way everyone starts their day in the DR.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
If youre coming from the states Credit Card is more advantageous because your bank will always give you the best rate in addition to the fare being exact.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
While being on vacation in the US and having someone use our DR based Banreservas credit card and running up over $1,000 US in charges in Santiago, which Banreservas then insisted were actually our charges and forced us to pay despite proof we were not even in the country.

Previous to that, I had two US based credit cards cloned here in the DR. We no longer use credit cards in the DR. (Soon we can all use the cashless system of payment PICHARDO has spoken about. :alien:)

The driver doesn't know your cc information. Uber does. I never heard of a cash option, but I haven't taken Uber in dr. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We avoid using a credit card in DR after being "compromised" several times. So......my question is about Uber payment processing. If you use a CC with them in DR, is the charge processed in the US? Or in DR?

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
We avoid using a credit card in DR after being "compromised" several times. So......my question is about Uber payment processing. If you use a CC with them in DR, is the charge processed in the US? Or in DR?

I would think that depends on where your bank is located. US bank in the US , Dominican Bank in DR. The currency will always be in pesos though.